Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: New User

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by bens14 View Post
    It is very very clear , their vehicle needs to be insured (by them) and legal to drive (taxed and tested unless on the way to a pre booked MOT test)

You have been told over and over again by many older wiser and more experienced drivers so just take the advice on board like a grown up
    Haha, no actually you are the one that's reading that wrong . That clause means the type of vehicle must be covered under his insurance policy, ie no driving tanks and trains and then claiming on your motorcar insurance (more reasonably motorcycles and lorrys etc).

So maybe it's not so clear after all .

Edit: this was nicely summarised by Prior a few posts up

Rides
    Really don't want to fuel the fire, but I have had a policy that covered me on other cars that I didn't own, that didn't need to be insured by anyone else.
    It is a bit hit and miss and ultimately depends on what's written in your individual policy.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by davesx View Post
    Really don't want to fuel the fire, but I have had a policy that covered me on other cars that I didn't own, that didn't need to be insured by anyone else.
    It is a bit hit and miss and ultimately depends on what's written in your individual policy.
    Yeah my dad does as well actually, although I do think this is pretty out of the ordinary

Rides
    I said back on page 2, post 32 that it is a grey area. But as I also said, without the car being insured in its own right, tax cannot be obtained for it. Also, the car isn't covered by any insurance when the person driving it leaves it. So say you leave the car, and leave the handbrake off and it rolls into another car or building or something, you are not insured, but I would hazard a guess that you are liable for the damage. Like I say, a grey area.

Rides
    What? Like a traders policy?

Rides
    Without reading the whole thread i thought id add to this

Quote Originally Posted by Aitch View Post
    Also, the car isn't covered by any insurance when the person driving it leaves it. So say you leave the car, and leave the handbrake off and it rolls into another car or building or something, you are not insured, but I would hazard a guess that you are liable for the damage. Like I say, a grey area.
    When asking my insurance company the dude on the phone said there has been a change in legislation (his words 1 year ago) and whoever parked it on the street and walked away is responsible for a uninsured car and can be done for no insurance

I was hoping i wouldnt need a 2nd policy for the sx but in the end had to get one.

Edit: just had a quick read, we are only trying to help and avoid you being stuck in court say, but but but...

Nearly all of us are not convinced you are covered, if you still think your covered get quinn to put it in plain english writting for you a drive away

Hope this gets sorted for you
    Last edited by immy21; 02-04-2010 at 13:05.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Aitch View Post
    I said back on page 2, post 32 that it is a grey area. But as I also said, without the car being insured in its own right, tax cannot be obtained for it. Also, the car isn't covered by any insurance when the person driving it leaves it. So say you leave the car, and leave the handbrake off and it rolls into another car or building or something, you are not insured, but I would hazard a guess that you are liable for the damage. Like I say, a grey area.
    Certainly is a grey area I don't know how the tax thing would work, like you say, It would need to be insured in its own right.
    Yep, that was the only thing, you're covered while you're in it, the minute you leave the car on the road, it's not insured.
    Just wanted to point out that policies like that do exist

Quote Originally Posted by Sideways14a View Post
    What? Like a traders policy?
    No mate, a normal policy

Quote Originally Posted by immy21 View Post
    When asking my insurance company the dude on the phone said there has been a change in legislation (his words 1 year ago) and whoever parked it on the street and walked away is responsible for a uninsured car and can be done for no insurance
    Pretty much the way I understood it too

Just to add, mine was just a 'perk' of the policy I had, I didn't use it like the OP wants to.