Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1523242526 LastLast

Thread: OEM+ S14a

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by CillianS14a View Post
    Thanks Simon..how is oz treating you? Hard to believe you are there over a year now..your old s15 is lookin well I saw a pick a few months back
    Ah the aul festy will get a few bits done at some stage..carb is stuck open at the moment!
    Wow, fair play Cillian, can't believe the amount off work you've been doing with the two cars, awesome! I wish I could just take a spin up the road for a look, maybe when im home at Christmas. You really have the ideal setup now, the recession must be over

Ya getting on grand over here, flat out working most off the time. No shortage off it over here! went to a few drift events here too. Loads off s-bodies and ae86's here, more so on the s-bodies though.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by JP View Post
    I'm liking how this is turning out! Great job you've done of the road car & well-impressed with the level of detail you've gone through for the drift car Cillian! You've got the best of both worlds now!
    Thanks JP! I've alot of work to do to both yet, i would like to completely strip the road car back to a shell and rebuild every bit of it properly..another respray is on the cards also as its had a few battle scars over the last 2 years.. I hope to upgrade the power in the drift car as the turbo seals are leaking now and need to be redone, the list is too long!

Quote Originally Posted by Sideways Simon View Post
    Wow, fair play Cillian, can't believe the amount off work you've been doing with the two cars, awesome! I wish I could just take a spin up the road for a look, maybe when im home at Christmas. You really have the ideal setup now, the recession must be over

Ya getting on grand over here, flat out working most off the time. No shortage off it over here! went to a few drift events here too. Loads off s-bodies and ae86's here, more so on the s-bodies though.
    I've plenty left to do yet to both Simon! Jez do if you are at home, i thought you might be home in Sept if Mayo made it that far Ah the recession is still here, house prices are going crazy again, well in dublin anyways!

Thats good to hear, i doubt you are missing the weather thats cool you should take some pics next time, there's lots of silvia's, skylines and chaser being imported again i've seen a few on the road in the last while , cool to see it happening again, pity the vrt is still a rip off!

Rides
    So after the first drift day i was very happy with the performance but i want to get the car up to the spec for competing in the odd round of the IDC next year as i've lots of friends competing now and its great craic for the weekends away that a good gang of us have been travelling to for the last few years.

I drop the car down to Alan Smyth of Smyth Gates that does fab work to drift cars this side of the country. He fabbed up a front crash to protect the intercooler and lights etc from the odd impact.

He had another friends s14a drift down for a new roll cage

Here is the finished product crash bar

I've yet to paint it too, here is the shotgun exhaust t came out really tidy

The original single door bar was only bolt and that wouldn't meet regs anymore so he built a nascar style setup as we figured it was the safest option

In the mean time while i was getting the car ready for the next day out i picked up a nice set of Volks, can't think of the name now but they are 17x9 et 12 and are a good fit. They need a refurb but they will be fine for drifting and have a nice bit of dish too

Here's a few action pics from the last day out

ition

The drift day was a super day out, the weather was sweltering and we ran a new competition style layout with battles. It was great getting used to the twin battling with clipping points. I did alot of mileage on track and the car ran great, i still want to make a good few changes to make it reliable as possible, the turbo seals are going and i'd rather change it before they do.

I will probably strip it down again before the winter and tidy up some more bits!

Rides
    You've been busy man!! Do you ever stop? Really must call up some day for a gossip!
    My S14.5 Rebuild Thread - clicky --
    http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=468362

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by NismoNut View Post
    You've been busy man!! Do you ever stop? Really must call up some day for a gossip!
    Ah never lol! Do sean i haven't seen you in awhile, i will be at round 5!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by CillianS14a View Post

I've plenty left to do yet to both Simon! Jez do if you are at home, i thought you might be home in Sept if Mayo made it that far Ah the recession is still here, house prices are going crazy again, well in dublin anyways!

Thats good to hear, i doubt you are missing the weather thats cool you should take some pics next time, there's lots of silvia's, skylines and chaser being imported again i've seen a few on the road in the last while , cool to see it happening again, pity the vrt is still a rip off!
    Even though I was home for last years final,as for this year.... that prick reilly ,from Meath robbed us off this the final, but ill leave that rant for another day. You wouldn't believe the amount off s15s and new 86's over here. I see at least two s15s everyday in Sydney. All clean too, so close to Japan here, they import a lot, but crazy expensive..

Raining here the last 3 weeks, just coming into spring so only about 18 deg most days!! The drift cars over here are pretty good, all serious spec'd cars, but I think the talent is much better at home

Rides
    I keep meaning to keep this updated and keep forgetting! I've been busy the last few months collecting parts and upgrading the drift car.

I did another drift day in November and my turbo seals started to give up with oil leaking into the intercooler. When something breaks upgrade!!

I shared the track day with my father, who tried a little drifting

There's some videos around of the day, i must link them in here when i find them.

Anyway with the last of the drifting done for the year i wanted to start working on tidying up the bits that needed fixing over the off season. I painted up the door bars and crash bar

Cleaned and regreased some rose joints. These Cusco ones are unreal, these have seen some terrible tough road and track use for the last 6 years and they're still perfect!

Myself and some friends headed up to mondello to the final round of IDC back in September. My car was supposed to be on the SXOC stand at the Japfest show in the paddock area but the stopped letting cars in as it got too full

Here's ConorS15's car

Had a ball of a weekend with good friends there, i hope to do a round or 2 of IDC next year, they are going to have some list of entries.

Here's a cool shot of my s14a, looking cleaner that it is haha!

Last edited by CillianS14a; 17-02-2015 at 21:33.

Rides
    I bought a pair of rough ssr sp1's that are 18x10 and are polished on both sides so they can be flipped for when i get overfenders for the back

They fit great and aren't heavy so they'll do the job!

Gave her a good hose down on top and underneath before the strip down

First thing was to sort out some lighting as i've no headlights and the last drift day had some night time drifting that got a little hairy with only the strobe lights for illumination, but it was some laugh :-)

I also sprayed the inside of the bootlid black to cover the red.

Here was something cool i saw on the formula D cars, front facing brake light for competitions. i had a roll of led lights so i stuck them on

I fitted up some gauges as they are vital, picked up this nice sandwich plate and some sensors

tidied all the messy wiring behind the dash

Last edited by CillianS14a; 17-02-2015 at 21:37.

Rides
    Picked up a pair of Achilles 123s form driftworks during their xmas sale, they are awesome on the front.. must be good if Daigo is still using them!

Got one of my friends to fit them to my Volks

Smyth Gates that carry out all the metal fab on mine and alot of other cars around here now did an extra lock mod on my front hubs. He also corrected the roll centre on the by extending the base of the knuckles. this allows the lower arms to be parallel to the ground as opposed to pointing upwards which affects roll centre

I also bought some driftworks offset rack spacers

]

The car had no washer bottle, which i found pretty important when on track and the weather is bad!

I wired it up to a switch as i'm going to remove the stalks on the dash at some stage

i cleaned the SSR wheels, i think they came out well

Here are the position of my front lower arms after roll centre correction, this and the achilles tyres gift me so much more grip on the front its great! and the lock is incredile, i must post the videos here

Gave the car an oil change again to keep it fresh

I ran into some scrubbing issues now i have so much lock so built up some bumpstops i can adjust

Last edited by CillianS14a; 17-02-2015 at 21:42.

Rides
    Found another pic from the pits at the last day out, was a great atmosphere!

apologies for the bad quality pics, my phone camera lens got pretty dusty at one stage

It was time to drop the subframe and start on changing all the bushes, was dreading doing this job again!

I didn't waste time burning out the old bushes, turns out it was quicker using a drill and pure piggery with a lump hammer and large hacksaw to get them out :-)

I smacked out the lower arm bushes too and cut the collars, its so much easier with the hack saw!

This was the method i used to press in the new bushings, i used a long bolt and nut with some large washers. Tightened them and guided them in with a large flat head screwdriver

These are the lower arms from my road car as they were totally shot, so glad to get the poly ones in there. Energy suspension is stuff is great!

During this time i swapped out the bushed Hardrace arms from the drift car with the rose jointed Cusco ones from the road car. I want to make the road car a bit comfier now that i am back driving it everyday :-)

They were all well overdue a regrease. check out the difference in the thickness between the Cusco and Hardrace arms

]

Here are the bushes that were on the drift car, fairly shook but they are 20 years old now. was time for an upgrade

I bought a nice metallic pink to respray the subframe and arms, it'll make it easier to spot leaks and look tidy

I opened the diff to see what ratio it was, turns out its a 4:3 2 way yaayy!

Last edited by CillianS14a; 17-02-2015 at 21:48.

Rides
    So on with the shopping, myself and a friend made an order from the frsport. We are both looking to upgrade our turbos and power for 2015.

Tomei Metal Headgasket

Mazworx Headstuds

Genuine nissan water pump

Over the xmas i asked alan to extend my front lower arms to give clearance for the extra lock

While he was at he sandblasted my subframe and lower arms

I gave them a lick of primer first

its a pity all these pics are in bad lighting, this pink is really cool, has a nice bit of metallic in it
    I fitted the Driftworks solid subframe bushes that were in the s14a into this subframe

In the mean time i made another order from FRsport with some more parts for the build
    I bought a new Megan Racing manifold, i went with this as i have one on the s14a for the last 6 years and its great. Done lots of road miles and track days, who says you need to have a flexi in the exhaust!? I know its not the best manifold out there but it was only €160 and it'll do for now, should be good enough for the power i want.

I also bought the last of the bushes i needed, along with a new Tomei Fuel Pressure regulator and Gauge

Here's the subframe all built up and ready to refit, bit of a tricky job on your own! I have the Cusco and GT1 Motorsport arms on here now, and the Bushed Hardrace arms on the Road car.

And all done, i forgot to take pics but i painted the calipers in the same pink

Last edited by CillianS14a; 17-02-2015 at 21:53.

Rides
    I painted the diff cover purple to match the car, i don't expect any of this to stage this clean for long lol

Last edited by CillianS14a; 17-02-2015 at 21:54.

Rides
    Here is the front Knuckles. lower arms and calipers all painted up

I raised the wing slightly, although i have better plans for it for this year now. I am also going to run with the diffuser i have and no rear bumper. I have other plans for the rest of the body work that will hopefully make the car look more unique and stand out.

I finally decided on a turbo to go with this year. I already have a garrett 2871r in the s14a which is great but i looked at the Tomei range and the M7960 looked like something that would suit me perfectly. I want to keep the power under 400 for this year as i can keep standard cams and gearboxs for that. Its based on a TD06 20G which should make around 400 no problem with little lag. It comes with an actuator and all lines and fittings, gaskets etc. There is only 1 other guy using one in Ireland that i know of, so i thought it would be worth a shot.

Hopefully i'll have the car ready for early April so i get it out for testing, it should be alot different with all the changes!
    Last edited by CillianS14a; 17-02-2015 at 21:56.

Rides
    I think there is a problem with photos. I can't see them.

Rides
    Yep, same here. No piccys . Looks like a great progress so far.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by sgt_raffie View Post
    Yep, same here. No piccys . Looks like a great progress so far.
    All sorted now guys! I used my photobucket account instead so they should all be there now

Onto the latest news i took delivery of the recent purchase

Tomei Arms M7960 turbo

and its some piece of kit for the money! Its the only pic i have at the moment but it comes with every gasket, stud, nut and bolt you need. Along with an actuator and an intake elbow to go with it.

I couldn't find much on the net when researching these but the wheel specs are very similar to a td06-20g and the comp housing also looks alot like one. I can't wait to really see what they can do on a normal SR. Ideally i would like to have cams to get the most out of it but i can't justify it yet. As soon as i can i will share any findings!

Seeing as i have a 2871r in the s14a i will be able to compare it for everyone.

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Enjoyed reading this. Drift car has some decent mods going on
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    Looking good Cillian keep up the good work nice to see the car going so well for you,

I think Paul Stryker ran that turbo and found it a bit small I could be wrong tho.

Rides
    Jeebus, the S14's coming along really well! Presume you've started the season already at this stage? Hope it's performing well for you dude!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottie
    JP will be back, he is like Christ, only he comes back more frequently

Rides
    So it's been a number of months since i've updated this, partially because i was flat out trying to get the car ready for IDC Round 1 in April...which i didn't make! Alot has happened since, but i basically have missed the last 10 months of drifting and it's only now that i am back up and running thankfully!

I'll try to cover most of what happened, i don't have a huge amount of pics, mainly because between work and the car issues i had, there was little time for much else.

Going back to last November after the last drift event of 2014, i knew my turbo seals were going and there was gaskets on the way out also. Between xmas and the likes money was tight for a few months but i had been collecting parts over a few months getting ready for the new Tomei Arms turbo and Headgasket change.

I pulled the car into the garage started stripping out the parts,
    Needless to say the turbo had had enough

I pulled off the return pipe, no wonder is blew the seals, someone had put gaskets sealer onto instead of an actual gasket!

The turbo gasket was also completely goosed with all nuts loose, i didnt have a brace between the gearbox and downpipe which would have caused the exhaust to swing side to side working the studs loose.

With everything stripped from the turbo side, i then stripped the intake side to find this big nut stuck inside the intake valve

I figured it was from a mikalor clamp that broke off when my dad drove the car on track and hit a truck tyre whihc poped off the hose, anyways not to worry it didn't cause any damage in the end thankfully!!

It was time to pull of the head, i had never done it before so i was following the guides online and the service manual also. The engine compression was still a healthy 145 across the board and everything looked ok.

i was extra careful with each step, using torque guides etc

with a little help from extra hands the head came off

Laid it all out on a clean bench

This was around early feb at this stage, still had 2 months to go before the start of the season
    I was comparing my old genuine HKS manifold to the new Megan Racing one

The manifold was much heavier than the Megan one, also the flanges were much thicker. But i was still happy with the Megan one for the price, i have one in my road car for the last 6 years with no flexi in the downpipe bs etc.

Size comparsion of the Tomei M7960 to the T28BB

Exhaust wheel and Comp housing is noticeably bigger

Back to the engine work, there was bad pitting on 2 of my pistons which are signs of Detonation

Even a little bit on the cylinder head

I clean and filed it all down as best as i could

Then cleaned up the block with fine sandpaper and a solid flat block