Thread: Partial DNS lookup problem Server 2008

Rides

Partial DNS lookup problem Server 2008

I recently changed over my home domain to Server 2008 and have encountered a problem where, every couple of days, it partially loses DNS lookup. Specifically, .co.uk addresses. It finds .com or .whatever fine. This affects the server and clients. A reboot of the server fixes the problem. Restarting the router makes no difference. If I run and nslookup on, say, www.google.co.uk, it lists my DNS server IP but nothing else. For www.google.com or www.google.fi, it lists my DNS server but also gives a proper non-authoritative answer and shows the google.com alias too.

There are no clues in the event logs. Any ideas?

For those who don't know, I'm now live in Finland with a Finnish ISP.

Rides
    OK within DNS Management console (Server Manager will do) Right click the DNS server and go to properties. Look for the forwarders tab and add the google ones (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) and see how that goes

Rides
    I could add a forwarder, but the problem is not just one address. For example, it's also doing it for bbc.co.uk, amazon.co.uk, etc. And the problem fixes after the reboot. For a couple more days...

EDIT: Duh. Just realised that they'll resolve all of them...
    Last edited by Nicely; 13-03-2010 at 11:56.

Rides
    On the server when the problem arises and before rebooting, start a command prompt and enter dnscmd /clearcache this will clear the DNS servers cache, this will tell you if it a cache issue.. There was a bug in the DNS server cachng on 2008 IIRC...

Though strange it is on .co.uk addresses only.

Rides
    It might be a root hint problem with the UK on your DNS server. I cant say that in over 12 months use of 2008 as DNS servers I have had any issue at all. Normally just configure the forwarders to be the ISP's but with google and a nice easy one to remember use that now