Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nearly had a pile up today

Rides

Nearly had a pile up today

Heading down a duel carriage way outside Durham. I was a comfortable distance behind a van doing around 65mph in the Almera and a truck was a good distance behind me but closing fast as I think he was going to overtake.

All was well nothing unusual there.

That was until we all rounded the next sweeping corner and there was a women stopped in the carriage way answering her MOBILE PHONE

The van braked hard, I was OK as I had loads of room to stop. The van swerved to miss the stationary car and the truck who was about to overtake had no where to go. Luckily the van speeded up so the truck could go past us safely and the stupid moron in the parked car in the middle of the duel carriageway. But for those few seconds when I saw that truck looming up behind I thought I was finished

I was mad as hell and blasted my horn at her and she was totally oblivious and happily texting away

I saw a young girl a few nights back driving along with her phone on her steering wheel texting and she was about 10 feet from the car in front.

What is the matter with these people, can they not put their bloody phones down for a while to at least get home with EVERYONE in one piece
    Last edited by The Artist; 11-02-2010 at 10:22.

Rides
    that is the stupidest thing i have ever heard!!! Did you get the reg number? I'd be reporting for dangerous driving

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by ferretca18 View Post
    that is the stupidest thing i have ever heard!!! Did you get the reg number? I'd be reporting for dangerous driving
    Well I did think of that but as my wife said she would be long gone by the time the police arrived

Rides
    Theyd go to the persons house. If they are that stupid im sure they wouldnt think twice about doing it again... But still its one of those things that you just dont think of after narrowly avoiding a crash!

Rides
    Yet more proof that they should never have banned talking whilst driving if she had been speaking and driving rather than stopping and texting the situation never would have occured.

Silly bint probably thought she was doing the right thing

Rides
    You should take a photo with your phone then mms it to the police as you drive past them.....

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by kingj View Post
    Yet more proof that they should never have banned talking whilst driving if she had been speaking and driving rather than stopping and texting the situation never would have occured.

so had they not banned people driving and using mobiles, then people wouldnt text messages, but would call and talk

If she wanted a conversation surely she would be at the side of the road talking and not texting

your argument isnt particulary conclusive really ...... either she would be driving and texting, or stopped in the middle of the road texting.

I think I prefer the latter, at least your life is partially in your hands then.

Of course there is the possibility she might have broken down ... and was too dumb to stand away from the car shivering, rather than risk her life in it

Rides
    I almost saw my wife and son involved in a head on smash with a van which was trying to avoid a stupid little bitch who had stopped right after a blind bend to do the same. She was totally oblivious to what she was very nearly involved in. I know you should always be able to comfortably stop in the distance you can see but FFS, stopping right after a 90 degree bend bordered by 10 feet high hedges is just so fcuking retarded.

kingj, I really hope that was sarcasm otherwise it was the most fcuking ridiculous argument I've ever heard. It's like saying drunk people being run over is all a result of stopping them driving themselves home.

Rides
    I have seen things like this.

I was sat in a traffic jam once. The cause was some stupid tit on the phone. Yes she had stopped and pulled over but here is the killer......

10 yards behind her was a turning into a very quiet road with plenty of parking and no traffic (small housing estate), and 10 yards infront was a pub car park.

some people are so thick, it makes me wonder how we invented the phone, or the car in the first place.

Rides
    On my first trip to china someone stopped on a motorway in the overtaking lane to swap drivers 70mph+ swerving is better than any heated seat for getting warm arse cheeks.

Rides
    Well its not the first time I have seen this just the first time in nearly causes me an accident.

Seen a girl in the summer stopped right next to a busy junction so people pulling out could not see what was coming.

The amazing thing is these cases is they don't seem to notice or maybe don't care at the chaos around them that has been cause by their stupid actions

Rides
    The ones that boil my piss are the ones with expensive cars, and no hands free kits.
    Knobbers in merc/porsche/audi/bm/etc,etc yacking away into the handset, usually in the middle lane of the bridge/A13/M25.

I need a 20mm cannon attatchment for the bm....

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Egon View Post
    The ones that boil my piss are the ones with expensive cars, and no hands free kits.
    Knobbers in merc/porsche/audi/bm/etc,etc yacking away into the handset, usually in the middle lane of the bridge/A13/M25.

I need a 20mm cannon attatchment for the bm....

Yeah this was a top end Audi

Rides
    Is it not possible she had broken down and was calling for help?

Self confessed player of the pink oboe docwra's Avatar
    Rides
    I saw a cracker today - was coming up a hill on a Dual Carriageway (A505 towards Sawston if anyone knows it) and just as I get near the top notice one of those plastic copper fellers lurking about just over the brow.

Backed off a bit and crested to see their car down the road about 150 yards, 50 odd yards in front of a broken down car on the inside lane. They were coning it off, like they do on Motorway slip roads.

Now I dont claim to be a Rocket surgeon, but seeing as there was about another 200 yards of dual carriageway after the car had stopped, would it not make sense to push the car further down the road, using the gradient of the hill, to avoid the "Oh shit" moment as you crest the hill and see various cones, flashers and Hi-viz jackets?

Or even if you cant do that for whatever stupid H+S reason, would it not have made sense to cone off the inside lane well before the top of this hill so approaching traffic have 600 odd yards vision of it to sort themselves out and get in the outside lane?

I came very close to pulling over and asking them to spell "retarded imbecile" to me, before I realised they were doing a very important job.
    Quote Originally Posted by scimmy ben
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Of course there is the possibility she might have broken down ... and was too dumb to stand away from the car shivering, rather than risk her life in it
    People are generally advised to stay in the car in a breakdown. If she was stuck just after a blind corner she may have rightly thought getting out of the car was fvcking dangerous and she would be safer in the car, even though it might get hit.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin T View Post
    People are generally advised to stay in the car in a breakdown. If she was stuck just after a blind corner she may have rightly thought getting out of the car was fvcking dangerous and she would be safer in the car, even though it might get hit.
    Since when? For as long as I can remember the guidance has been to get out and stay well away from the carriageway.

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice...e/general.html

Something like 90% of accidents on a dual carriageway involve a stationary vehicle.

Rides
    People are generally advised to stay OUT of the car in a breakdown. If she was stuck just after a blind corner she should have rightly thought, i need to get the fook out of here before there is a pile up!
    Fixed it for you

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Stu View Post
    Since when? For as long as I can remember the guidance has been to get out and stay well away from the carriageway.

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice...e/general.html

Something like 90% of accidents on a dual carriageway involve a stationary vehicle.

Yeah I am sure you are supposed to get away from the car and over the barrier. Plus she never had hazards on or anything

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by The Artist View Post
    Plus she never had hazards on or anything
    The one time I broke down I didnt have any hazzard lights, or any lights at all .. car completely dead .... was she in a french car ?