Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How much would you pay for this?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Si View Post
    Wow, I love the appreciation for art on here.

To the people say 'I could do that' and 'yeah, that's crap' - what would you define as 'art' then? I'm genuinely curious.
    My other half spends a fair wack on art ... I spend a fair wack on toys .... which is nice as the house looks great and is filled with toys

I love real paintings though .... stick a print on your wall and its just a picture of a picture ..... stick an origional up though and it comes alive, the raised paint, the brush strokes, the little bits of congealed oil that have peaked as the brush leaves the canvas ..... its great.

I love impresionists, so it looks like a scene from a distance, but get up close and its just blobs of paint that look nothing like a person / tree / rock.

However I cant justify spending £300 - £1.5k on a picture .... fortuneatly the girlfriend can ... but then she doesnt see the point in a 50" TV or a 15" sub in the front room

EDIT: that sculpture does nothing for me though ... I wouldnt pay anything for it, I dont want it, I have nowhere to put it, I dont want to make space for somewhere to put it, I am not moved by it or inspired by it. Maybe if I saw it in real life I would like it

EDIT: EDIT: ..... but seriously £65m ...... its sh1t for £65m
    Last edited by Johnny; 04-02-2010 at 08:25.

Rides
    If I were in the position where I could easily afford to spend £65m on something aesthetically beautiful, I suspect I probably would tbh.

Hell, to draw a parallel to empathise with with the demographic on here, surely it's just an inflated version of what people do with cars? I guess people will argue that cars get you somewhere, but for instance, why do people spend £15m on a 250GTO?
    But then you're down to taste - some people would see that car as 'art', so where do you draw the line?

I see no problem at all on spending money on something that stirs your soul, whatever it may be - money is there to be enjoyed.

Rides
    why do people spend £15m on a 250GTO?

One recently sold for $28.5m

Rides
    £65m - that is pretty shocking.
    I'm pretty sure our local garden centre had these (or similar) for something like £175 - I joked to the wife something along the lines of "£175 for that peice of cr*p"

Rides
    I can well believe it.

Last company I worked for commissioned a sculpture for the retiring chairman of the board.

It cost £120,000 and consisted of a few bits of sheet steel welded together. I've seen better welding on an SS Autochrome manifold.

Rides
    Its worth what some one will pay for it. At the time, someone was willing to pay 65m for it. I personaly would give you £50 max, as I like it but it would be for the garden.

I think even if I had 65 billion on my cash card, I would find it hard to spend 65m on art, cars, house. I think my own personal island would be the only thing I would spend that much money on.

But then I'm tight.

Rides
    Wow, I love the appreciation for art on here.

To the people say 'I could do that' and 'yeah, that's crap' - what would you define as 'art' then? I'm genuinely curious.

Would you restrict it down to, say 'a painting of something that looks a lot like the thing it's supposed to be a painting of'?
    There is a difference between appreciation and blindly idolizing something based solely on the price it fetches at auction.

Rides
    Of course there is, but financially there isnt - if someone is happy to pay 'x' amount for an item, then that's what it's worth, regardless of their motivation.

What I'm genuinunely curious about is what people who berate sculpture, installations, etc consider to be art, and where they draw the line

Rides
    Of course there is, but financially there isnt - if someone is happy to pay 'x' amount for an item, then that's what it's worth, regardless of their motivation.

What I'm genuinunely curious about is what people who berate sculpture, installations, etc consider to be art, and where they draw the line
    I don't berate sculptures, I just think that one is awful. I used to love wandering around the Henry Moore collection when I lived in Ontario.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by JC View Post
    Corrected

Edit: 1 very stupid rich person & 1 clever rich person who knew when to stop bidding!
    You can't call the person who won it stupid...not yet anyhow.

What if it sells in a few years for much more than that as art often does.

Will they be stupid then sitting on a 20 million profit
    2004 - on : 1999 S14a 398bhp 378lb/ft
    2010 - on : 2007 RX8 PZ
    1998 - 2004 : 1991 S13

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by frisbee View Post
    I don't berate sculptures, I just think that one is awful. I used to love wandering around the Henry Moore collection when I lived in Ontario.
    That wasn't aimed at you dude More the 'I could do something like that' brigade

Personally I really like cast bronze sculptures, and some of Giacometti's work is ace, but again, that's down to taste. What riles me is people who claim it's just arse, with no real justification for their argument.

There's a Moore collection in St Ives too, huddled with a brace of Barbara Hepworth creations, well worth checking out Although I think it's a fair bit smaller than the one in Ontario!

Rides
    lowery was crap at drawing people, and his stuff sells for a fortune

moaning lisa isn't even pretty, and don't have her tits out, but what's that worth?

don't even start on the pile of bricks, the loo seat and the unmade bed.

as for picaso, the bloke was a complete spanner. no idea how to draw, had he even seen a persons face when he guessed where to put the eyes?

one day over my fireplace their will be an oil painting of either
    1. spitfire
    2. steam loco

both of which will look exactly like the thing they are meant to be, and fill me with a warm fuzzy feeling.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Grim View Post
    1. spitfire
    2. steam loco

both of which will look exactly like the thing they are meant to be, and fill me with a warm fuzzy feeling.
    You are James May and I claim my £5.

Personally I quite like the sculpture in the OP. No idea why it is worth what it is, but that's market economics for you. I have no idea why 1960s muscle cars cost as much as they do either.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Grim View Post
    lowery was crap at drawing people, and his stuff sells for a fortune

moaning lisa isn't even pretty, and don't have her tits out, but what's that worth?

don't even start on the pile of bricks, the loo seat and the unmade bed.

as for picaso, the bloke was a complete spanner. no idea how to draw, had he even seen a persons face when he guessed where to put the eyes?

1. spitfire
    2. steam loco

is it just me who found this very funny?! rofl!!!!

the unmade bed was a fvcking joke. emin deserved a slap for it, not money.

i like the £65mil sculpture.... but as said before "for £65mil, it's sh!t". a few hundred grand i could mentally cope with though.

Rides
    I like it - it looks like primal cave paintings ore some african sh-t , would love it in my house - can someone spare me some cash pls.

Rides
    See I don't mind that sculpture, it's quite creapy looking and would be excellent to put behind the loo door so when people closed it and turned round it would scare the shit out of them

If someone wants to blow 65m quid on it and they can afford to good luck to them, there are far more worthwhile things to blow that much on (charity etc) but it is ultimately that persons money that persons choice

'Art' I can't abide though is shite like that second picture, it's just had paint thrown at it, there's no creativity there IMO, just splatter.

Equally, I find banksy creates some interesting stuff but ultimately he is still just ****ing up other peoples property. Mind you, for what his stuff goes for he can mess up my property any time he pleases

Rides
    not being funny but if your average person was to make that pile of shite that my cats would use a piss post then it would be worth.............fack all...........,...so why the price tag because some shmuck made it?

it just looks terrible!!! how anyone can appreciate that is beyond me...

Rides
    Its a mad mad world

Rides
    I actually rather like it as well. If I had that sort of money spare then I'd definitely have considered buying it

I've seen a number of sculptures in customer's gardens that would look completely out of place, bare, in a gallery yet work perfectly in their setting.

Yes, £65M does sound like an obscene amount of money but, perhaps, to the buyer it is no more than most of us buying a new TV. I came THIS close to buying a jumper in a designer store on Rodeo Drive in LA once. Had the jumper 'only' cost £500 instead of the £2000 price tag (it was $4000 dollars at the time ) then I would have bought it. I liked the jumper enough to seriously consider the purchase, regardless of cost. Remember, some people view buying full-price CDs, DVDs, Blurays or games as total madness. I doubt they are the sort of person to pass judgement on somebody spending £65M on a sculpture

Remember, as I think was said earlier, art is worth precisely what somebody is prepared to pay for it. Not a penny more and not a penny less.

I saw a Man Ray photo in a German museum that I just 'clicked' with. I'm sure that if I had enough money in the bank then I would have made a stupid offer for it. You cannot argue with what somebody finds aesthetically pleasing. You can disagree with it, but you can't argue against it
    Last edited by Cluck; 05-02-2010 at 22:59.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by smithylee View Post
    not being funny but if your average person was to make that pile of shite that my cats would use a piss post then it would be worth.............fack all...........,...so why the price tag because some shmuck made it?

it just looks terrible!!! how anyone can appreciate that is beyond me...
    You should read up on the artist, he was a pretty fcuked up guy