Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Paranormal/supernatural/ghosts etc..

Rides

Paranormal/supernatural/ghosts etc..

Today me and the girlfriend went on a tour of Edinburgh vaults. The most haunted place in Edinburgh apparently.

We were told we could take pictures and that people had reported things showing up in the past.

So I did:

In one room, I got this 'orb' thing on the picture (supposedly the circle of stones contains spirits! Anyone whos been down will know the story)

and a close up

the tour guide obviously said it was a spirit thing. Me, I just think its dust or something!

So the point of this thread,

what are peoples opinions on the paranormal?

I think all the visions and sounds probably have a logical explanation, what about everyone else?

Rides
    Until science proves (or give very good odds) otherwise, i say bunkum.

Rides
    I think it's all a load of crap tbh.

People hate having arguments with me about this sort of thing, as I point blank refuse to beleive any of it is true.

When people tell all these stories about having seen ghosts or whatever, it just makes me think they are a bit crazy...

Rides
    im a bit on the fence on this one really. I have had experiences myself, and im not sure it was real or if it was my mind playing tricks on me, however, at the time it certainly felt very real.. and that same day something also happened to my mum who, like lou does not believe in the afterlife, until that day. neither she or myself are mad, that we know of

BUT if there is something its not 'ghosts' as we think of today, more than likely something to do with other theories that are floating around (think string theory and other dimensions)

Still, would be cool if that 'orb' was proven not to be dust or a regular 'anomoly' (sp)

Rides
    My girlfriend is still traumatized by something that happened to her when she was younger. I've had creepy stuff happen to me, but nothing concrete, so I really couldn't say. My girlfriend definitely believes though.

Rides
    Nope.. I just think it's rubbish.. the day I see something and think it's a ghost I'll get myself booked in for extensive therapy!

Rides
    I'm sure that if you go back to the place, you won't find anything in that spot. Beside, dirt doesn't gloom.

I opened a similar thread in the past and got quite interesting stories. There are many more around often told by reputable people of high education.

How you can think that science can take a real interest in something that could put the very basis of our ratinal believing in doubt? All what the skeptics look for, are pitiful imposters too easy to get embarrassed. They never go for subtle stuff truly difficult to explain.

I'm a very very rationale person, yet I don't think we can dismiss everything just because our minds cannot accept "anti physics". And remember if you refuse to even discuss, you're single sided and unreasonable just like a believer.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by El @ View Post
    I'm sure that if you go back to the place, you won't find anything in that spot. Beside, dirt doesn't gloom.

I opened a similar thread in the past and got quite interesting stories. There are many more around often told by reputable people of high education.

How you can think that science can take a real interest in something that could put the very basis of our ratinal believing in doubt? All what the skeptics look for, are pitiful imposters to easy to get embarassed. They never go for subtle stuff truly difficult to explain.

I'm a very very rationale person, yet I don't think we can dismiss anything juse because. And remember if you refuse to even discuss, you're single sided and unreasonable just like a believer.
    I'm very unreasonable, I don't deny that

But just like the misguided people who chose to beleive in this crazy crap , and be certain it is true, I also am entitled to my opinion that I beleive it is rubbish

Same principle with religion too..I am perfectly entitled to beleive it's also all made up rubbish, just as others are entitled to beleive it's true. That's what I think and there is no way anyone is convincing me otherwise!

For me both ideas are just as crazy as each other!

Rides
    You sound like me Lou!

My Mrs believes in this paranormal stuff and is religious!
    We have fun erm, 'discussions'

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by marko14a View Post
    You sound like me Lou!

My Mrs believes in this paranormal stuff and is religious!
    We have fun erm, 'discussions'
    lol.. tbh I don't mind people beleiving in it, as long as it's not harming anyone you can think what you like.. even though I do find it VERY weird that people would beleive it.. just seems odd to me that there are people that do at all.

I just get irritated when people ask how could I not entertain the idea that it might have some truth.. because I just can't TBH.. it defies all logic to me.. when someones gone they are gone, they don't prance around on earth randomly appearing as specks of dust on peoples photos!

Rides
    Mark, I know nothing about orbs, but I think you got a very good shot of one.
    Had they show you other pics taken at the site ?
    Is the discernible pattern in it, a constant ?

Rides
    I tend to think extremely logically (much to my wife's annoyance!) but my sister, and more so, her son went through an ordeal I can't explain which ended up with a priest performing an exocism and her selling the house.

Rides
    Fack... is that something youre ok to talk about? I love and am fascinated by things that happen to people I would love to hear more...

Rides
    Yeah me too

I have a couple of little stories from people I know but the only thing I've ever had was one day I was doing something at the kitchen sink and I thought I saw the cat out of the corner of my eye, she'd been missing for 3 weeks. The next day she was found dead in my neighbours garage

Can't tell the difference cleanhands's Avatar
    Rides
    Was driving down the motorway years ago at about three in the morning, needless to say I wasn't at my most alert, when I saw a dog disappear under the front wheels. I anticipated a bump/ thump but nothing happened, then about 2-300 yards later I saw a family stood with their car on the hard shoulder.

I told this to a local lad on base the next morning and he said that many years before a family was driving down the road when their dog suddenly jumped out of the car window. They stopped to look for the dog and a lorry crashed into them killing everyone.

Now I know he could have been pulling my pisser, but that story still freaks me out. Tbh I don't really want to know that it's not true, so I've never really looked into it.

Still gives me a cold shiver up my spine.

Edit; Not saying I believe, nor disbelieve, in ghosts. That's just what happened to me.
    Last edited by cleanhands; 02-02-2010 at 00:21.

Rides
    A couple of years back I was sat in the car on my own filling out paperwork when I heard a ladies voice say from the backseat "everything is going to be ok Karl". 3 days later, my grandfather died.

The same day I heard the voice, my brother had a couple of CDs fly across his room and my mum had somone sit at the end of her bed.

Rides
    My sister showed my a picture that really freaked me out the other day, ill try and get it up.

When I was doing my driving test, it was going badly, like really badly I crashed into the kerb and even went the wrong way at a roundabout. So when we finished I thought theres no way ive passed and to my surprise id just scraped through despite breaking a few instant fail rules

Anyway I got home and told my Mom and Dad, and then my Mom got a phone call from My Aunty Brenda saying Craig passed didnt he?? She of course said yes, she then said he went the wrong way aswell at an island and was sure hed failed??? I hadnt at this point told anyone about that id only been back maybe a minute and was still buzzing of the shock of passing.

So my Mom told me what my Aunty had said and of course I was shocked, how did she know apparently my Mums Mum who id never met (died before I was born) was with me and helped me pass she made me go the wrong way because if id of the gone the way the instructor told me Id of failed

For the first time in my life I was seriously freaked out

Rides
    I'm open minded and think that just because we don't understand something doesn't mean it can't or doesn't happen.
    You'd have to be pretty naive to think that the human race knows and understands everything.

I don't know if I believe in 'ghost's' or the afterlife, but there are some good cases that point to them.

I've had a couple of experiences.
    I was on holiday in Turkey with my parents back in the mid-90's and we were visiting a place where Mary was supposed to have moved to after Jesus popped his clogs.
    I'll add here that I'm not in the slightest bit religous.
    Anyway, we were walking along a long path that led to this house and I was in front of the rest of the party. Someone said to me as clear as day 'Son'. I thought this was an odd thing for my dad to say to me (he'd say 'Stu!' if he wanted my attention) so I turned round to see what he wanted. I was a good 50 yards away from anybody. That freaked me out a little as the voice was spoken very close to me and very softly.

My Dad thinks his house is haunted too.
    It's a late 1920's ex-Council House. It went through a weird phase where he kept hearing 'someone' walking up his staircase, smelling cigar smoke in his spare bedroom and the loft hatch kept opening itself

Last Christmas (2008) he went on holiday to Spain for a week so I popped into the house everyday to check on it and change a few lights round (to deter burglars ), pick up the mail and generally keep an eye on it.

The first night I went in and it was dark, his side door leads into his Kitchen.
    Nothing unusual there.
    The 2nd night I went in, one of his gas rings was lit on the cooker on the minimum setting
    I would have noticed it if he'd left it on on the first night as the room was pitch black when I went in.
    I didn't turn it on and i'm the only other person with a key. It couldn't turn on accidently either as the flint has long since died on the autofire button.

Rides
    I just remembered another one of mine.

I was having a row with my ex and she went silent just staring at me, I was across the room. Her face started to change and the rest of the area went blurry her face started to look like her nans who had just passed away recently before...

This was extremely weird and I didn't mention anything for a while, when I did my ex said she felt very hot at the time when I said it happened.

Rides
    I may have given you this one before...
    Once upon a long time ago, I went to visit my girlfriends mum and stepdad. I stayed in their 6 year old son’s room. I fell asleep reading a book, leaning against the head board. In the middle of the night I was picked up and slammed backwards with some force. I fell back into the bed but I think I was only a foot or so up. I could feel where I had been pushed on my chest and the room was freezing cold, not night time chilly because the heating was off, actually freezing.

The next day I told my other half and she just laughed at me. We forgot about it until dinner that night, where she jokingly mentioned it to her folks.

Her stepdad told us that they are woken up by this kid laughing and talking at night. When they go into his room he is sat in bed with the light on talking to someone sat in the chair in the corner of his room.
    The son then piped up, "yeah, he tells me jokes and stories and makes sure I'm ok."
    My girlfriend at this point is more freaked out than me and asks if her folks have ever seen him. The son says that he always goes when other people are about.

"His names Henry"

That night I waited until everyone had gone to bed and everything was still and quiet. I lay in bed and said "Henry, if you’re in here, Callum has told me about you. He is in the spare room if you want to see him. Sorry I'm intruding but it’s only for tonight and then it’s all back to normal."

Now this was unbelievably stupid thing to be doing but I turned the light off and had quite a good sleep.
    Most messed up thing I've ever experienced.