Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Had my car Dyno'd...

Rides
    OK, Thanks very much. The favourite 'search' button comes back into play.

I appreciate all the points - Thankyou v.much. There are an awful lot of ppl here who know an awful lot more about these cars than I do. Hopefully a nice weekend coming and I can have a look over the car and see if I can rule out any of these points. Or failing that, replacing them should answer afew questions too.

lol @ pedo bear!!!

Rides
    It's always a mare when the operator does not know the engine and gives you some pony excuse to make you feel better.

As mentioned boost leak is a probable and stock wing mount is a prime suspect.

I would be getting the whole pipework pressure tested as it's the easiest way to check for the little buggers.
    Quote Originally Posted by sideways14a View Post
    Christ i would bang that harder than a barn door in a hurricane.

Rides
    Well I can get a friend at his workshop to pressure test the system for me then. The operator is a friend and I trust him to be honest. I was under the impression that the car was 197~ as standard and wasnt expecting much besides this so didnt question it too much. He doesnt deal alot in SR20's to my knowledge. But then again, maybe I wasnt asking the right questions to get the answers I/others were after... Did think the torque curve seemed abit 'free' but again, didnt question it much.

Rides
    Go back and get the afr / boost plots. They show much more information than the ones you have.

Rides
    It's a decent result but not all it could have been by the results others have had on here, it's a difficult one to pinpoint with no investigation work too (as you have seen by the varied responses to your post).

Decating the car would make a noticeable difference for you while driving and on the rollers though.

Quote Originally Posted by Sideways14a View Post
    Go back and get the afr / boost plots. They show much more information than the ones you have.
    What he said
    Quote Originally Posted by sideways14a View Post
    Christ i would bang that harder than a barn door in a hurricane.

Rides
    OK, well its a good place to start, but aside from increasing power, its good to know what I should/do have to begin with and getting any issue for that resolved sooner rather than later. I understand there are alot of owners, with many similar, but each slightly different cars and done on different rolling roads.

It's early days and something for me to get my head around in the near future.

What information will the AFR and boost plots provide me with? A pinpoint to any pressure problems?

Apologies but tis a skool nite lol - I'll pick this up in the morning when I get to work...

Rides
    Bringing this back up - surely an AFR and boost points would need a probe to record them? To my knowledge the only probes on the car were air intake and oil temp....

Rides
    Rather than worrying about what the graph says how does the car drive? RR Graphs are pretty meaningless in the real world. They can be made to say all kind of things... maybe they wasn't running enough resistance for example.

Rides
    Rather than immediately blaming boost leaks for any lack of power, find out what boos tthe car is running - Often overlooked on a stock car. Often the boost solenoid or the wiring to it fails (I've had this on both my 14a's and seen it on a fair few more) leaving you stuck with 7psi in all gears, instead of just the first two.

Also, ignore what the dude's saying about the resonator box losing power - never seen any evidence to support that.

Rides
    [girl mode]

I like the colour

[/girl mode]

Rides
    I've seen plenty of cars with weak actuators as well.

Rides
    There is no way thats 200@fly unless its a scooby

120@wheels is about 160-170@fly and your torque figure backs this up IMO as SR power and torque are always similar numbers

so you obvious have an issue and its probably a knackered WMIC
    Quote Originally Posted by silverzx View Post
    I like Mark, he seems fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_n_slide View Post
    Mark is right.

Rides
    Well to me the car drives fine, doesnt seem to bog down or seem sluggish, but in saying that this is my first 200sx and first turbo car so I dont have much to compare it with to know whats 'right'.

200@fly? who said it was at the fly???

You say check what psi its running as standard, is there a diagnostics device to do this or if you're going to say get aboost controller/gauge then thats on the list, but not right away.

I'm cetainly not going to jump to any conclusions but if a pressure test is an easy way to check for leaks then thats a good place to start, as is sticking calipers/balancing as mentioned above. Simple things I can go home and do or pop out and get done easily before I start dismantling the car to check/replace parts that could be perfectly fine.

Rides
    I would recon on either fuling or boost issues hence why i mentioned AFR and boost graphs from the runs.
    The afr will show if your running rich (boost leak ect...) and the boost logged will show if your not getting the full 10psi in the higher gears (7psi in the lower ones)

Its not right, and although it might feel ok you need to have a benchmark to compare it to.
    Personally i think its a boost leak more than anything else, as .... thats what tends to happen a lot.

Ohh and your graphs say corrected power 200bhp, and wheel power 120 which is what mark is mentioning.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Sideways14a View Post
    Ohh and your graphs say corrected power 200bhp, and wheel power 120 which is what mark is mentioning.
    Which IMO just goes to prove that this particular RR graph is useless... I find it hard to understand how you can say there is a problem with the car when you have no idea how the rolling road was setup and used? Seems like scare tactics to me.

Rolling Road graphs aren't worth the paper their written on unless your using them for comparisons on the same rollers with the same opperator. Way too many variables....

Rides
    I used this RR as the more local one to me has very varied results and I had heard it wasnt accurate on the same car on more than one ocassion. It was a new install at a friends workshop and I was happy to bring it there. I wasnt going for a setup or details. I was just curious of what it was producing, regardless whether it was high, low or normal. Now I have a figure and afew opinions I can look into any issues, sort them out and I will probably take it back to the same place as taking it elsewhere seems a waste of time as it could be different to the readout I got now, atleast when I go a 2nd time I can compare it to the 1st occasion.

Now, I dont know enough about the operator and his knowledge of my cars make/model/engine, or his knowledge of dyno's in general etc etc but I did go there and say I wanted to know what it was producing and didnt say much else. I'm sure if I returned with more details about what I wanted from a run then I can come away with a much more comprehensive result than the 1st time aswell as knowing more about the process itself and what I should be expecting from the car.

Back to my above point briefly, in getting a result of the AFM and boost points, would these have been calculated as a result of probes fitted during the run or would the dyno work it out as a result of the figures. As I said, I only recall an air intake temp and oil temp probes being in place on the vehicle.

Regardless of the result I got, there does seem to be the point brought up repeatedly that certain things should be chased and if need be, resolved so I will start with some very easy things to sort out and we can rule this out in future as being an issue for any drop in power I get in the future.

I see little point in fitting, say, a de-cat pipe to bring me up to 220~bhp when it should be producing that in the 1st place.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by dan_t View Post
    Which IMO just goes to prove that this particular RR graph is useless... I find it hard to understand how you can say there is a problem with the car when you have no idea how the rolling road was setup and used? Seems like scare tactics to me.

Rolling Road graphs aren't worth the paper their written on unless your using them for comparisons on the same rollers with the same opperator. Way too many variables....
    Well the chap has posted 3 graphs, all of which show that for the mods on it and spec it is producing (on this RR with this setup) lower outright power (by ~20hp) and much lower torque (~40 plus).
    Yes it may be the way the car was setup, although i doubt it as we see loads of these kind of runs in s14 tech like this.
    I am going on experience of s14s. Show me some better graphs and the situation might become clearer.
    The way it looks is that its not running right, thats basically it.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Con2K View Post
    Back to my above point briefly, in getting a result of the AFM and boost points, would these have been calculated as a result of probes fitted during the run or would the dyno work it out as a result of the figures. As I said, I only recall an air intake temp and oil temp probes being in place on the vehicle.
    A probe should be stuck up the exhaust for AFR, they plug in a pipe into you IC pipework to take boost readings, without these i wouldnt pay for a RR session

You want to see what power and torque you are making at what boost levels (with readings) and make sure your AFR's are correct/stable/safe/split (with readings)

A split WMIC or boost leak would show up as running rich in AFR (very common)

Torque is messured at the wheels, from this bhp is calculated at the wheels, from this fly/crank figure is calculated with a no. of variables chucked into the equation, this is my understanding of it but others can correct me.

mine looked like it was hooked up to a life support machine

Yellow wire was intake temp, black pipe was boost reading, and it had a probe stuck up its ass for AFR