Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Had my car Dyno'd...

Rides

Had my car Dyno'd...

Went up to South West InCarTech based just outside Bristol to have my car dyno'd. It is ran by a friend and they recently had their MAHA 2WD dyno installed. Its a standard 200sx apart from a random metal cone filter (think its pipercross) and catback Blitz Nur Spec R. It's exactly how I bought it apart from an oil and plug change less than 1000 miles ago.

I wanted to have it put on and see if it was behaving itself and also as a benchmark for any future mods.

I got 4 runs, 3 close together and the 4th after abit of a cool down.

I was hoping for as close to standard as possible, I would assume that a catback system wouldnt add anything and that the metal cone filter was probably hindering performance heating up as the intake temp would be higher as a result of the heat from the engine??

Here are the results:

Run 1:

Run 2:

Run 3:

Run 4:

200.8 BHP / 168.4 Ibf.ft

I am rather pleased with the results. Mark said it seemed a healthy engine, the Drag BHP was abit high and probably as a result of the unbalanced wheels more than anything else. I was looking at the Torque Curve and it seemed abit wavey but overall I think thats ok. No spikes etc - I should hope not for standard.

If you would like a dyno run I think the going rate is £45 for 3 runs but I could be wrong and they are happy to accommodate group days. Best to contact mark directly:

http://www.southwestincartech.co.uk/

Does anyone have any points to raise based on my figures?

I will be looking to add a FMIC and the car is a daily drive so i'm not chasing figures. Happy to have it remapped or afew smaller things like walbro fuel pump, decat, with a boost controller if necessary to get abit more power but still want a nice car to use pottering up and down the country or to work etc.

Thankyou.

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Get it decatted asap mate. These things are horrid with the cats in Mines a sensible 250-260bhp at the moment and thats pretty good as a daily
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    Whats been done to yours mate? When the weather improves i'll de-cat it. They dont seem to be that expensive 2nd hand on here tbh. Whats it like for noise compared to what I have now do you think? My Mk4 Fiesta is decatted and has a lovely cackle when you back off the throttle...

I was told the resonator box will also be hindering power. I was assuming I'd lose that when fitting a FMIC. Would just like to retain my fogs and standard battery if possible hence why I have been putting off getting one.

Rides
    Wait a min, you got 200hp and 168ft of torque (fly figures) from a near stock car with exhaust and filter.
    Er thats not great.. The torque especially is very low.
    Personally i would be expecting 220hp and about 220 ft...

Best explore the problem, it will be one of the usual suspect.

Rides
    Sticky rear caliper by chance ?

That's a large amount of power to be loosing through transmission losses and a wheel being out of balance would not cause this as far as im aware
    Quote Originally Posted by sideways14a View Post
    Christ i would bang that harder than a barn door in a hurricane.

Rides
    Seems a good result for almost standard -- much less broken than mine was when I got it

The Apex Type 2 intercooler lets you keep the battery and maybe the fogs.
    Last edited by stu_; 01-02-2010 at 21:37.

Rides
    Problem? I assumed they were approx 197bhp and this RR is an estimated figure based on the wheels and converted back.

As you say explore? explore what? Compression is fine, new plugs, v.recent oil change. No funny noises or fluid/pressure leaks to be spotted, clutch doesnt slip. You'll have to give me abit more info about where I should start looking.

Cheers

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Con2K View Post
    Whats been done to yours mate? When the weather improves i'll de-cat it. They dont seem to be that expensive 2nd hand on here tbh. Whats it like for noise compared to what I have now do you think? My Mk4 Fiesta is decatted and has a lovely cackle when you back off the throttle...

I was told the resonator box will also be hindering power. I was assuming I'd lose that when fitting a FMIC. Would just like to retain my fogs and standard battery if possible hence why I have been putting off getting one.
    Mine is quite quiet but then I have a mongoose exhaust which is pretty subtle Mine is basically stage 1a spec but with the standard map and less boost.

If you want to keep the standard batt and foglights etc have a look at the apex type 2 fmic

Quote Originally Posted by Sideways14a View Post
    Wait a min, you got 200hp and 168ft of torque (fly figures) from a near stock car with exhaust and filter.
    Er thats not great.. The torque especially is very low.
    Personally i would be expecting 220hp and about 220 ft...

Best explore the problem, it will be one of the usual suspect.
    He's only got a cat back exhaust tho mate so Standard power is about right. The torque is a little low tho.
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    No dude, they have 197 at the fly and about 195ft of torque as standard. Its also been noted several times in the past that a cat back and filter pulls ~20 ponies.

Yours has a problem.... Boost leak prob.

Rides
    Problem? I assumed they were approx 197bhp and this RR is an estimated figure based on the wheels and converted back.

As you say explore? explore what? Compression is fine, new plugs, v.recent oil change. No funny noises or fluid/pressure leaks to be spotted, clutch doesnt slip. You'll have to give me abit more info about where I should start looking.

Cheers
    i would say boost leak! lol

suprised sideways14a didnt...

also have you modded the standard dv?

Rides
    Oh thats a point, front discs/pads are due for renewal so I could assume rears could be too. Havent looked at them. The wheels are horribly unbalanced, you could see the movement on the dyno of them. I was told it could be something else but easiest thing to start with his get them balanced, see how much they are out and then we can see if its a more serious problem, will probs get that done at the weekend.

OK, thansk for the pointers, boost leak, from where? any usual places? Havent modded anything. As stated above it's exactly how I bought it in november apart from oil and plug change. The previous owner had the exhaust and filter fitted 7yrs ago when the standard system failed an MOT at nissan and this was a cheaper alternative. He was 62 and loved the car but I doubt had ever 'tinkered' with it.
    Last edited by Con2K; 01-02-2010 at 21:41.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by clive View Post
    i would say boost leak! lol

suprised sideways14a didnt...

also have you modded the standard dv?
    I did

You need to see an afr and boost plot for this to be any use. Other than that you are missing about 40 odd ft of torque and a bundle of ponies.

Rides
    Oh thats a point, front discs/pads are due for renewal so I could assume rears could be too. Havent looked at them. The wheels are horribly unbalanced, you could see the movement on the dyno of them. I was told it could be something else but easiest thing to start with his get them balanced, see how much they are out and then we can see if its a more serious problem, will probs get that done at the weekend.
    Jack it up and check for binding rear brakes

Its not uncommon to have a stuck caliper

Im going to stick my neck out and say that this is where the power has gone

The increased drag has brought the overall power figure down.

Another way to check is to touch the rear wheels after a drive if they are unusually hot then that's an indicator of wheel bearing or binding brakes.
    Last edited by VIDAL BABBOON; 01-02-2010 at 21:43.

Rides
    So why are people saying boost leak and others saying free up the caliper and it'll be fine. 20brake seems an awful lot to be missing that I didnt think I had to begin with.

Rides
    So binding rear brakes have munched 40plus foot of torque....hmmm
    I still think its one of the usual suspect, but its always worth checking the brakes as well the back ones suck badly
    Dude its not just the power its missing a huge amount of torque, hence why i think its fueling or boost

Rides
    So why are people saying boost leak and others saying free up the caliper and it'll be fine. 20brake seems an awful lot to be missing that I didnt think I had to begin with.
    boost leak is people looking at flywheel figures.

binding brakes is people looking at how low your at wheel figure is

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Sideways14a View Post
    So binding rear brakes have munched 40plus foot of torque....hmmm
    I still think its one of the usual suspect, but its always worth checking the brakes as well the back ones suck badly
    Dude its not just the power its missing a huge amount of torque, hence why i think its fueling or boost

I was a massive wedge down on my last rr and that was due to spinning up wildly on the rollers.

It may not account for all of it but if it's going to affect BHP then it will also affect Torque yeah ?

Rides
    I see the torque is down and looking rather wavey yes. I'm all new to dyno readouts and new to the car so not sure where I should start looking. What are the 'usual suspects'? boost leak from a particular pipe? Faulty standard dump valve? clogged fuel filter? Pedo bear fiddling with the dyno?

Rides
    I see the torque is down and looking rather wavey yes. I'm all new to dyno readouts and new to the car so not sure where I should start looking. What are the 'usual suspects'? boost leak from a particular pipe? Faulty standard dump valve? clogged fuel filter? Pedo bear fiddling with the dyno?

Leave pedo bear out of this, he aint been near you mum this week...

It's only Monday though

Rides
    Yeah rampant wheel spin will be a problem and could be where some of the twist has gone, thing is i notice the torque is similar in every run. So unless it wheel span everytime (possible) and the operator didnt notice it and correct it.!!

Still think its a classic fueling issue. The s14 section is awash with hundreds of these, go for a search through it.
    My moneys on a pony ic, wonkey dv or vac hose being a bit off....