Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Martial Arts

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jow View Post

His name is Master Dass, 10th Dan.
    Ah, the bloke I know is Adam Richardson - he's head of the Fuma Ryu Society.

So have you already got the burkha... I mean Ninja suit?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by AshT_200 View Post
    Adam Richardson - he's head of the Fuma Ryu Society.
    There's a name I haven't heard in a while... I would avoid Fuma Ryu like the plague. Go to www.e-budo.com and do a search on Fuma Ryu if you want to know why.

To Jow: stick with it, because it does get easier physically. If you give in to the voices saying "I might give it a miss tonight", you'll eventually stop going altogether. I'm sure this accounts for 90% of the drop-out rate amongst new martial artists. (On the other hand, make sure you adequately rest and recover should you actually get injured - hopefully that will be unlikely). Have fun!

Rides
    I did Judo when I was younger, really enjoyed it until a fat kid squashed my head at a grading, that's when I thought this isn't for me. Dabbled with Karate and Aikido as a kid as well but really enjoyed both the attack and defence involved with Judo.

Self control is very much what's taught and I only ever used the theory of it once when a kid in school ran up behind me and tried to pull me over. Needless to say he made a good crash mat

My sister started at the same time as me and she has ended up black belt, she used to do it fairly regularly, even competing nationally but now doesn't do it anywhere near as often.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Django67 View Post
    There's a name I haven't heard in a while... I would avoid Fuma Ryu like the plague. Go to www.e-budo.com and do a search on Fuma Ryu if you want to know why.
    Hmm never really thought about it but now you bring it up.... just googled Fuma Ryu and the leader is apparently in the Top Ten Fake Ninja Masters

Thinking about it, not surprising as I watched a session once and they do in fact practice hiding in a sports hall

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by AshT_200 View Post

So have you already got the burkha... I mean Ninja suit?

Nah, not yet. Will be looking into getting one though as they allow you to move more freely. You can get the thinsg for your face if you wanted, I wont bother though.

To Jow: stick with it, because it does get easier physically. If you give in to the voices saying "I might give it a miss tonight", you'll eventually stop going altogether. I'm sure this accounts for 90% of the drop-out rate amongst new martial artists. (On the other hand, make sure you adequately rest and recover should you actually get injured - hopefully that will be unlikely). Have fun!
    I know, its just you dont get much chance to rest with two kids

If I find that the exercise is too much next time, Im just going to push myself as far as I can go and push further each time. I'm not going to be super fit after one lesson!!

On the plus side, I am drinking a lot more water than I used to

Rides
    If I find that the exercise is too much next time, Im just going to push myself as far as I can go and push further each time. I'm not going to be super fit after one lesson!!

On the plus side, I am drinking a lot more water than I used to
    As you get fitter you'll find you are happier and less stressed in general as well.

The chemicals released during exercise are stronger than prescription drugs
    2004 - on : 1999 S14a 398bhp 378lb/ft
    2010 - on : 2007 RX8 PZ
    1998 - 2004 : 1991 S13

Rides
    Mental note for weekender 2010...... don't stay up drinking all night then challenge Jow to a fight on the inflatables

Rides
    i did Thai boxing for a while but i had an old rugby injury that kept coming back to haunt me so i gave in would'nt mind starting again though

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by def View Post
    About right I would say. The first few weeks/Months hurt alot but after that your body adapts
    How long until your body adapts?

I still hurt like mad today, I just thought I will try and do some push ups and my body just went 'no way'

Rides
    You can get the things for your face if you wanted, I wont bother though.
    You should...

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Aitch View Post
    You should...

You will be the first I try my new moves out on, what date did you say you will be down again?

Rides
    make sure you wear shin pads Aitch

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Grim View Post
    I'll put some knee pads on too, just in case she jumps when she punches

Rides
    LMFAO best short arse reply I have ever heard

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Grim View Post

Rides
    Sombo and bit of muay thai. Much prefur sombo to bjj.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Stig 2.0 View Post
    Much prefur sombo to bjj.
    Interested in why? Is it the takedowns or the leglocks? (or do you not like getting choked out, lol).

Would love to have a go at sombo at some point, been doing various forms of grappling for years and I've never tried it.

Rides
    Found bjj way to "mcdojo" or belt snobs not just the people in the sport but disagree with some of there opioins on grappling (dont get me wrong stil has some awesome stuff) also it is mostly off your back were as sombo is more of an agressor but also does the defensive subs.

Sombo does chokes? Also prefur it as alot more power moves suits my build, as tech will only get you so far agaist a stronger oppent (Brock)

Oh also Fedor does Sombo enough said really lol

P.S

Excuess all grammer, spelling and general layout of any of my posts its late also im lazy

Rides
    Sorry, I thought the rules of Sombo prohibited chokes. Shows you how much I know...

Can't say I have noticed any mcdojoism in BJJ, but I do fear for the future - it is growing very fast, and the potential for instructors to start being motivated by money is definitely there. Not good.

Thankfully, like all combat sports, it's performance on the mat/ring/cage that matters, and ultimately that's what will keep BJJ/Judo/Sombo/Muay Thai/MMA honest. I hope.

Rides
    Fighting Films Black Label gi then, I reckon. You'll get a white one and a blue one with change to spare. She'll definitely look and feel the part.

If she was an adult I might be recommending Mizuno or Adidas Elite or Fighting Films master, but they're megabucks.

The FF black label is a very well made bit of kit for the money.

EDIT to say: Junior champ - excellent!! Well done to her.

hi Django

Thanks for all your advice

Just got back from a 2 day BJC National Training & Grading weekend and whilst we were there she was able to try a few different suite makes and in the end we decided on an Otani Judogi which came highly recommended by a few Sensi taking part and she said it felt right on her .
    Seeing all the different Gi`s there really help in making a decision and i do like those Fighting Films suits

As an incentive for the coming year i told her i will buy an even better quality one if she wins the 4 Nation Grand Slam at her weight level

Clai