Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Martial Arts

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by tallpaul View Post
    No, I think you misunderstood my point. There is always someone out there who is harder than you, the day you think nobody can bring you down is probably the day you get seriously hurt.
    Most weekends I went out, someone would try it on with me, I was a bit of an arsehole when I was younger (I like to think at 41, I'm a bit more grown-up now!) and I'm sure occasionally I deserved the odd slap. I never started trouble, but whenever I found myself in a situation where I could either back down and we could all walk away, or stay and get into a fight, I always chose to fight. I started training in Full Contact Karate and gained a lot of discipline (& self respect) from it, that translated into a pub fight scenario by altering my mind-set to a confrontation. If somebody who I felt I could fairly easily tackle, confronted/ squared-up to me, 99% of the time, I wouldnt even get annoyed, I'd just let them have their vent & then walk away- What do I have to prove, I know I can hurt him more than he could hurt me. If, however, someone who was a bit more ready tried it on, I'd stand my ground, I'm not going to be pushed around by someone who thinks they can bully me. Most times (but not always), drunken "big men" are very reluctant to actually get into a fight.
    Thats what most martial arts disciplines instil in you, the confidence not to fight. TBH, Muay Thai (unless you take it really seriously) and to a lesser extent, MMA (cage fighting) is a bit different in that it does seem to be more geared to the actual fighting & not the "mental" aspect.
    This is so true... when I stopped training in Karate and Kickboxing due to an ongoing injury, I found myself rising to the challenge of those people in pubs and clubs because, deep down, I think I was no longer sure of my ability.... therefore I wanted the challenge. When I was at the top of my game, I was extremely laid back and non-confrontational... mainly because I knew I had nothing to prove.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by clai cerrig View Post
    Can anyone recommend a good Judo Gui for competition please

I want to get one for my daughter as present for doing well at Judo this year

Thanks

Clai
    What's your budget? Fighting Films are the dog's danglies but there's loads of other good makes (Adidas, Toraki, Matsuru Mizuno etc.). It all depends on how much you want to spend and how seriously she is competing.

Rides
    Django

She`s just turned 14 is BJC Welsh Junior Champ - UK Junior runner up and is in the U65kg weight Class . Trains every other month with the BJC UK team so it is pretty serious .

The gui she has is second hand from our club stock so me and her mum thought about spending up to £150 for 2 sets.

I want that she feels special you know what i mean rather than a hand me down suit

Rides
    Fighting Films Black Label gi then, I reckon. You'll get a white one and a blue one with change to spare. She'll definitely look and feel the part.

If she was an adult I might be recommending Mizuno or Adidas Elite or Fighting Films master, but they're megabucks.

The FF black label is a very well made bit of kit for the money.

EDIT to say: Junior champ - excellent!! Well done to her.

Rides
    I do Shaolin Kung Fu, have been doing it for about ten years. Had a break from it to do Tae Kwon Do for a year.

I gained nothing from Tae Kwon Do but have over the years gained a whole perspective on life from Kung Fu.

Martial Arts can be so much more than just training and that is the beauty of them. They can give you confidence, inner balance, compassion, respect for other people, nature and yourself and a feeling of a connection to the energy (Chi) flowing through everything (anyone seen Avatar LOL ).

To gain this perspective you need to have a very inspirational teacher and an open your mind

Rides
    Been doing Ju-jitsu for 11 years now, my dad is my sensai and its his job too

teaches at sports centers 5 out of 7 nights, and this is our private Dojo at home

Rides
    I feel sorry for anyone who decides to burgle your place.

Rides
    I did karate for a year or two when i was ten, didnt think much of it to be honest, but i was young. Then started up Muay thai style of kickboxing about seven years ago, trained in MMA for two years alongside it, then stopped that and trained in Escrima for about two years alongside my kickboxing. Been laid off for about the past 6 moths with an on-going knee injury and am itching to get back.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by #1 Adam View Post
    I feel sorry for anyone who decides to burgle your place.
    you should see our weapons room, we do like to hoarde weapons

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jez@Devoted View Post
    you should see our weapons room, we do like to hoarde weapons

Im glad im not the only one

Rides
    I did freestyle karate and kick-boxing for a few years, uh, a few years ago. Unless you have prior experience I wouldn't have thought the specific style would make much difference, more the quality of the dojo/gym and the people there. I tried a few closer to home but would go back to the palce I started as the people there were much friendlier.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by CamInHead View Post
    IUnless you have prior experience I wouldn't have thought the specific style would make much difference, more the quality of the dojo/gym and the people there. I
    Very true.

Rides
    i have been doing muai thai for about 6 yrs. its great to meet up with other fighters from around the country at events. with ma you could be in the ring for 15minutes smashing the crap out of each other and after the final bell your great freinds at the bar. i must say its the rush at being in a ring and having loads of people cheer you on that makes competion ma a great buzz.

Rides
    I met Master Ronnie Green the other day. He's a cool guy.

Rides
    I feel so sick and hurt like **** today and he wants me to do another lesson tomorrow? springs to mind!

Rides
    Wimp.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jow View Post
    I feel so sick and hurt like **** today and he wants me to do another lesson tomorrow? springs to mind!
    Who you training under? Guy I know who was one of the UKs first Ninjutsu instructors would go the whole hog and end up having his students jumping out of trees shooting bows and arrows

I still find it amusing that Nuns were promoting the secret art of assasination He instructed self defence at a local convent school.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jow View Post
    Sounds like they pushed you too hard on the first day.
    Its not a very clever thing to do.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolvreen View Post
    About right I would say. The first few weeks/Months hurt alot but after that your body adapts

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_melon View Post
    Wimp.

Quote Originally Posted by AshT_200 View Post
    Who you training under? Guy I know who was one of the UKs first Ninjutsu instructors would go the whole hog and end up having his students jumping out of trees shooting bows and arrows

I still find it amusing that Nuns were promoting the secret art of assasination He instructed self defence at a local convent school.
    His name is Master Dass, 10th Dan.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolvreen View Post
    Nah, its the exercise that has made me hurt ie push ups and having legs 6 inches off the ground and lifting etc, for someone who has never been inside a gym in their life, it was very hard!

Quote Originally Posted by def View Post
    About right I would say. The first few weeks/Months hurt alot but after that your body adapts
    Thats what he said, which I knew anyway, its just feeling like this running around after two kids is not easy!!

He's upped my lessons to two a week, just simply to up my fitness and build confidence.