Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Martial Arts

Rides

Martial Arts

Who here does what, what made you choose that style and have you gained anything from it?

Rides
    I used to do Iaido. Chose it cos i get to wave swords around, and it looks really cool. Improved my eye/hand co-ordination and my balance. Problem is, i have a short term memory issue that made me keep forgetting the kata.

Rides
    My girlfriend and I have been doing Krav Maga for just over a month. We chose it because there's no ceremony or bowing etc like you'd get in traditional martial arts.

So far, I love it.

Rides
    I do BJJ (Brazilian Jiu Jitsu) and Judo regularly (been doing BJJ since 2002 ). Have dabbled in MMA, but not competitively. Did trad (Japanese) Jiu Jitsu for five years from 1999 to 2004.

A decent, intensive martial art is the best way I know to keep fit. I hate going to the gym with a passion. MA classes provide you with some natural peer pressure and (hopefully) some skills as well.

On the subject of skills, if you learn one thing, learn to breakfall. Very few people get into fights, but everybody at some point or another will fall on their arse.

Rides
    I used to do Muay Thai, before that Full Contact Karate. Being the tallest out of all my mates meant whenever we were out on the town, if anyone was looking for a fight, they made a bee-line for me. Started training at 18, never had a fight (outside the ring!) since. Totally altered my attitude to scrapping, gave me the confidence to either walk away from drunken tools or stand my ground, knowing whoever I encountered was very unlikely to put me down!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by tallpaul View Post
    I used to do Muay Thai, before that Full Contact Karate. Being the tallest out of all my mates meant whenever we were out on the town, if anyone was looking for a fight, they made a bee-line for me. Started training at 18, never had a fight (outside the ring!) since. Totally altered my attitude to scrapping, gave me the confidence to either walk away from drunken tools or stand my ground, knowing whoever I encountered was very unlikely to put me down!
    And thats whats Martial arts is all about. self disapline, even learning how to breath correct so you can think your way out of the fight.

You choose the style that suits you and change if you find it doesnt. Ju Jitsu is I would say the most practical choice as it combines kicks, punches with throws and grabs. In the real
    world you will often end up fighting on the floor and that is were J Jitsu comes into its own.

I did Taekwondo for 4 years (When I was 14-18) and it has helped two or three times in my life.

Rides
    I've been in and out of Karate and Kickboxing for over 10 years. I found Karate a great discipline, aswell as teaching me the basics in throwing kicks, punches and using stances. I used to train in Kickboxing alongside Karate to free-up and personalise what I've learned in Karate... not to mention the western hands (boxing) can't be touched by any other M.A.

I've never really been a fan of grappling, but I'm toying with the idea of starting Judo. MMA isn't appealing as I don't like the tough guy culture that goes with it. Also, IMO, it dilutes the pureness in each Martial Art it takes.
    Last edited by #1 Adam; 30-01-2010 at 20:23.

Rides
    Last year I did Wing Chun (Kung Fu) and Kickboxing. It was a lot of fun, and good flexibility and fitness training, but I don't have the time to do it any more

When I leave uni I want to get back in to it. Maybe MMA, there seems to be a good club in MK.

Rides
    ^ ah the slow style! daughter of tai chi!

Rides
    Done kickboxing for 2 years back when i was 20 i only went to get fit it was more interesting than going to the gym. I had to give it up after 2 brothers started a fight in a bar one night and i badly hurt 1 of them, i just didnt trust myself after that and stopped going. Though i still do some of the stretches and warm ups to keep me limber

Banned
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by tallpaul View Post
    gave me the confidence to either walk away from drunken tools or stand my ground, knowing whoever I encountered was very unlikely to put me down!
    this bit is abit confusing cause yes the right thing would be to walk away but never turn your back but its abit big headed saying its very unlikey someone can take you down,so if i kicked you in the balls you wouldnt go down??? sorry if im wrong as i dont know you just confused me abit.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jow View Post
    Who here does what, what made you choose that style and have you gained anything from it?
    Many years ago when I was a wimpy 12 yr old, my Dad took me to a local Judo club and just left me there! A bit like being thrown in the deep end of a swimming pool and having to learn to swim! 10 yrs after that, I was practising Judo to a high standard and instructing wimpy 12 yr olds!

I mixed it up with some Aikido which is a very useful 'street sport' as well as getting into Kendo and Bojutsu (cane 'swords' and oak staffs).

The best thing I got from all the training was self confidence. I have never used what I learned in an aggressive way but it certainly helped me when in a tight spot.

Physically, the fitness, balance and spacial awareness has helped me in so many situations as has the self discipline both mentally and physically.

Now at the grand age of 49, i dont have the time to practise but would love to get back into it. I spend to much time travelling and have to content myself with generall fitness in hotel gyms!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by def View Post
    You choose the style that suits you and change if you find it doesnt. Ju Jitsu is I would say the most practical choice as it combines kicks, punches with throws and grabs. In the real world you will often end up fighting on the floor and that is were J Jitsu comes into its own.
    This is the reason why myself and my (now) ex-wife chose Ishin Ryu Jujitsu for our son (started when he was 5, he's now 7) when he wanted to learn martial arts. It's the closet to what a real life fight situation could be. Also the discipline and respect instilled into the kids from such a young age will stand them in good stead when they grow up.

Jut

Rides
    Watched Hoice Gracey taking on much bigger people and win using there Gracy Brazilian Ju jitsu

Rides
    That'd be Royce Gracie, then?

Rides
    Muay Thai. I like one which is actually useful and where you actually have to hit your opponent hard and be hit hard back.

Did BJJ for a bit too, might get back into it sometime.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Infinity View Post
    This is the reason why myself and my (now) ex-wife chose Ishin Ryu Jujitsu for our son (started when he was 5, he's now 7) when he wanted to learn martial arts. It's the closet to what a real life fight situation could be. Also the discipline and respect instilled into the kids from such a young age will stand them in good stead when they grow up.

Jut
    I'm doing the one above that as Jujitsu was brought out as a way of the samurai, the Ninjutsu was invented as the way of the ninja, who were trained to take out the samurais. I start wednesday and can't wait

Edit, I forgot there was a subsection for this stuff now

Rides
    Can anyone recommend a good Judo Gui for competition please

I want to get one for my daughter as present for doing well at Judo this year

Thanks

Clai

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by ben-chelt View Post
    this bit is abit confusing cause yes the right thing would be to walk away but never turn your back but its abit big headed saying its very unlikey someone can take you down,so if i kicked you in the balls you wouldnt go down??? sorry if im wrong as i dont know you just confused me abit.
    No, I think you misunderstood my point. There is always someone out there who is harder than you, the day you think nobody can bring you down is probably the day you get seriously hurt.
    Most weekends I went out, someone would try it on with me, I was a bit of an arsehole when I was younger (I like to think at 41, I'm a bit more grown-up now!) and I'm sure occasionally I deserved the odd slap. I never started trouble, but whenever I found myself in a situation where I could either back down and we could all walk away, or stay and get into a fight, I always chose to fight. I started training in Full Contact Karate and gained a lot of discipline (& self respect) from it, that translated into a pub fight scenario by altering my mind-set to a confrontation. If somebody who I felt I could fairly easily tackle, confronted/ squared-up to me, 99% of the time, I wouldnt even get annoyed, I'd just let them have their vent & then walk away- What do I have to prove, I know I can hurt him more than he could hurt me. If, however, someone who was a bit more ready tried it on, I'd stand my ground, I'm not going to be pushed around by someone who thinks they can bully me. Most times (but not always), drunken "big men" are very reluctant to actually get into a fight.
    Thats what most martial arts disciplines instil in you, the confidence not to fight. TBH, Muay Thai (unless you take it really seriously) and to a lesser extent, MMA (cage fighting) is a bit different in that it does seem to be more geared to the actual fighting & not the "mental" aspect.

Rides
    Ive always wanted to study martial arts, but always been a bit scared to go.

Being a big lad, Ive avoided alot of situations, being a skin head probably helps LOL

The best way I have found to get myself out of trouble, is when they start on you, just turn around, stare them in the eyes, and say "do you really want to do this" - the look on their face is brilliant, because immediately after saying it, they start having second thoughts, and its normally one of their mates who says sorry and pulls the guy away.