Thread: S14 engine conversion :) sick of weak s13 engines!

Rides

S14 engine conversion :) sick of weak s13 engines!

Hi guys, Is there any threads on doing an s14 engine conversion? It needs to be done! Sick
    of changing 1.8 s13 engines every 6 months!

Rides
    There are, the SR20 conversion, in the FAQ or sticky thread in here.

Rides
    you may want to look into why you keep killing them? I know thorntons make ca shells but 6 months!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by itrhondaboy View Post
    you may want to look into why you keep killing them? I know thorntons make ca shells but 6 months!
    x2 id dissagree with them being a weak engine? weak if not serviced well in its former life before your ownership or looked after. As above though check the FAQ section, then look under conversions and u will find it there......

Rides
    SR20 isn't a magic bullet if it's an old engine, they all suffer from a variety of problems, CA/SR/RB whatever.
    white '94 s13 200sx scrapped - mapped to 1.45bar. OS giken box, garrett GT2876R, 950cc injectors, ORC twin plate, nistune. 349bhp/325lbft @ 1.3bar CA18DET
    white '96 s13 180sx - type g with more kouki bits - RB25DET, GTR steel twin turbo conversion, RB26 crank & rods. 2.6L VVT twin turbo, SR20 OSG box, OSG STR twin plate clutch, Z32 ECU w/ nistune.

current status: 180 a bit broken but to be repaired.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie.gates1 View Post
    Hi guys, Is there any threads on doing an s14 engine conversion? It needs to be done! Sick
    of changing 1.8 s13 engines every 6 months!
    hahahahaha hows about you rebuild a CA properly...
    they are not weak in the slightest..

a high mileage run on mineral piss oil thats not been changed for 40000 miles is going to blow up.. but and SR treated the same will be just the same..

stop sticking gash 2nd hand engines in it and do a nice rebuild...
    provided your bores are good (reuse stock piston) then a rebuild can be done for waaaay under a grand if your farming the work out.. if you do it yourself you can do it for about 300quid.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by martinbattye View Post
    but an SR treated the same will be just the same...
    Ain't that the truth. You need to look after any engine if you want it to last.
    Member 504

Rides
    youve misunderstood... i meant a high mileage SR thats had shitty oil will blow up just the same every 6months as a CA will..

imho both units are as good as each other

Rides
    its all swings and roundabouts... or slides and bouncy castles if you prefer. Dont discount the CA at all : and if you want some pics of inside a neglected SR pm me... you will be horrified

Rides
    youve misunderstood... i meant a high mileage SR thats had shitty oil will blow up just the same every 6months as a CA will..

imho both units are as good as each other
    Maybe I worded my post badly but I was agreeing with you mate , I've lost count of the fooked SR20's that I've seen.

Big end problems are a regular feature on a lot of them now, normally because of abuse and poor servicing which sees the spray bars block and progressing on from there. The CA got a bad rep for worn bottom ends earlier on but now that the SR is getting older, you see more and more of them with the same problems.
    Member 504

Rides
    Thanks for your input guys, well mines down on compression so it won't start without a bump! And the bottom end is rattling now I'm a self employed mechanic so i'm pretty clued up and I'm very strict with servicing. I use very decent oil and change in every 5000 miles or less. But on the other hand I give it a hard time I do drive it hard. Now maybe if I got a decent replacement engine and ran it with an oil cooler surely that would help?? Because most engine damage in my case is due to overheating oil not doing it's job properly. What you guys think?

Rides
    Check out the breathers on the CA18DET as they block for fun with slugde etc especially the one from the crankcase to the cam covers.

Rides
    ^^ this, make sure if you are rebuilding it, do it properly and don't use the original oil pump etc.

i'd buy a few cheap engines that are knackered in one way or another, rings, big ends, whatever and make a single engine using the best of the parts but using new nissan stuff when it's sensible. (i.e. oil/water pump, nissan seals/gaskets etc.)

after mine was rebuilt, the only time i had a problem was when an oil pressure gauge line that i'd installed badly (yes, i did learn from it ) split and pissed my oil everywhere. do it properly, once
    Last edited by alanjuggler; 21-01-2010 at 13:47.
    white '94 s13 200sx scrapped - mapped to 1.45bar. OS giken box, garrett GT2876R, 950cc injectors, ORC twin plate, nistune. 349bhp/325lbft @ 1.3bar CA18DET
    white '96 s13 180sx - type g with more kouki bits - RB25DET, GTR steel twin turbo conversion, RB26 crank & rods. 2.6L VVT twin turbo, SR20 OSG box, OSG STR twin plate clutch, Z32 ECU w/ nistune.

current status: 180 a bit broken but to be repaired.

Rides
    No replacement for displacement. Remember that pushing 300bhp out of an engine built for 170 is asking alot.

Getting an oil cooler or large oil pan is a no brainer IMO.

Rides
    no it isnt,,, /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

a stock internally fresh CA can cope with this output for ever.

Rides
    no it isnt,,, /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

a stock internally fresh CA can cope with this output for ever.
    Thats been proven time over, treated right they are weapons. Martin and Alan are right. Instead of forking out for all these engines; sort out a decent foundation for your build i.e a block with decent bores and a decent head and do the build yourself. All you need is the user manual and as your a mechanic Id guess you have all tools. Gasket kit, oil n water pumps, replacement belts, shells etc. Put it all together with patience and accuracy and you will be laughing. You will be proud of your work 2!

Rides
    yup... and TBH fresh oil pumps arent necessary unless gear float and tooth damage is an issue.. saves quite a chunk

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Streetmekanik View Post
    Remember that pushing 300bhp out of an engine built for 170 is asking alot.
    You're kidding right? I believe a couple of people are running circa 400bhp on internally standard CA's with suprising success. A healthy standard CA can handle 300bhp all day long.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie.gates1 View Post
    I use very decent oil and change in every 5000 miles or less.
    500miles too far. 4.5K is Nissan service spec for oil change - semi synth. 3K is for the paranoid. Can get longer if you use fully synth.

Rides
    sky... i would say tho an ester based oil could be used for longer.... not worth the risk tho..

think about the state of the rubbish mineral oil nissan put in them to start with!!