Page 123 of 128 FirstFirst ... 2373113121122123124125 ... LastLast
Results 2,441 to 2,460 of 2554

Thread: My S14a build

Rides
    Looked lovely on the previous page all polished up Daz.

Rides
    You are going to have to stop "fixing it" if you want to go to the weekender Daz!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by CMR View Post
    Looked lovely on the previous page all polished up Daz.
    She still looks good, just not from the underside haha.

Quote Originally Posted by p.nicholas View Post
    You are going to have to stop "fixing it" if you want to go to the weekender Daz!
    Paul, erm, I might have taken some more bits off lol.

A little more burning and the diff bushes are gone as well.

mmmm, doesn't she look nice.

Next task was to tackle the rust patch on the drivers side. I've been dreading this as there was quite a large scab of rust. It may look bad but I was actually expecting far worse so I'm quite happy about this actually.

Out came the angle grinder to see what lurks behind.

Look at the mess left on the floor.

New presents arrived for the rear end, this cheered me up .

Cut out all the sleeves for the standard bushes which took a while. This lot is now all ready to be dropped off for powder coating.

I decided I best take the fuel tank off to check behind it and I'm glad I did, there's a couple of tiny little patches that can easily be sorted. Also, I can get onto the top of the chassis rails to treat those area's as well.

It does actually look a lot worse than it really is. The majority is just surface rust and has survived the poke it with a screwdriver test. Will spend a day going over the entire underside of the car with the wire wheel to get back to some clean metal before applying the rust treatment and protection.

Rides
    Also, I will be replacing the fuel lines as they aren't looking too great.

Rides
    This all looks very familiar! I can highly recommend POR15 products Daz

Rides
    Busy boy
    bstmeetbllk

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean-B View Post
    This all looks very familiar! I can highly recommend POR15 products Daz
    I've been watching yours. I like the look of the POR15. How kuch of each stage have you had to buy to cover the rear?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Daz View Post
    I've been watching yours. I like the look of the POR15. How kuch of each stage have you had to buy to cover the rear?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    You'll probably want a litre of cleaner degreaser, litre of metal prep, quart of rust primer, one tube of tigerseal and probably a litre of black topcoat.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean-B View Post
    You'll probably want a litre of cleaner degreaser, litre of metal prep, quart of rust primer, one tube of tigerseal and probably a litre of black topcoat.
    Thanks Sean, I've already got a load of seam sealer left over from doing the front of the car so that's not an issue.

Will have a look into the other bits .

Rides
    Top work there sir, impressive work rate you have once you get started!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Evilchap View Post
    Top work there sir, impressive work rate you have once you get started!
    Cheers buddy, plenty left to do yet .

Rides
    Here's an underside photo of the rear sill. It's proper nasty.

A quick going over with the wire wheel and a small hole appeared. I then poked it with a screwdriver and this is what it left me with. I had already poked this with a screwdriver and it was solid so just goes to show how bad it can be.

Chassis leg appears to be solid with just surface corrosion.

But everything else is just rust.

The state of the sill after some poking with a screwdriver and cutting with the angle grinder.

Decided it was time to cut away the outer skins, It's a nice feeling cutting the rusty bits out.

The inside of the Sill. That will need cutting out as well then.

At first glance, this appears to just be loads of surface rust.

But after the screwdriver treatment, it's all in need of being cut out.

This is looking from within the wheel arch. I originally thought this piece was ok, but turns out it's not in the slightest. It was actually the stonechip that was holding the metal together.

Can you tell which is the new and which is the old? lol.

Double checking the replacement outer skin will sit nicely.

It's slightly longer than it needs to be which is good. Means I can trim it down to the length I need.

On a brighter note, H&S Powdercoating sent me a couple of photo's whilst I was on holiday. I'll be picking everything up in the morning.

Rides
    good that you've found this darren at least it can all be addressed in one hit

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Janus View Post
    good that you've found this darren at least it can all be addressed in one hit
    Yeah, just wish I was in a position where I could have stripped the entire car down and put it on a rig to rotate the chassis to make working on it easier lol.

Rides
    I know exactly what you are going through. I was kind of in denial, and the worst thing was.. I couldn't weld.

However lessons learned. Just cut it all out! Check on here for reference on how to put it all back together.

I also bought a mig and learned to weld.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Rides
    Oh and top tip.. make sure you have a good little rotary tool and buy some of these: Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272670431161

They will help you grind out bits in awkward places.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazySx View Post
    I know exactly what you are going through. I was kind of in denial, and the worst thing was.. I couldn't weld.

However lessons learned. Just cut it all out! Check on here for reference on how to put it all back together.

I also bought a mig and learned to weld.

I was expecting it to be bad, then thought, nah it doesn't look too bad........then realised is really bad lol.

Got loads and loads of reference photo's and I think I know in my head how to put it all back together now I've opened it up.

Got a mig welder already as I done the front of the car so no worries on that, although this is welding upside down which I absolutely hate lol.

Oh and top tip.. make sure you have a good little rotary tool and buy some of these: Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272670431161

They will help you grind out bits in awkward places.

Got a decent dremel but always needed some decent cutting disc. Are they really good then? if so then I'll order them as the angle grinder is really bulky.

Rides
    So cool that you're trying to save that car, most would have scrapped it already!

On the other hand, I think you can consider yourself lucky because you can see where it's rusty. Mine has a bunch of "repair" patches, but when you look on the other side you realise it's just sheet metal welded straight onto rust.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Daz View Post
    I was expecting it to be bad, then thought, nah it doesn't look too bad........then realised is really bad lol.

Got loads and loads of reference photo's and I think I know in my head how to put it all back together now I've opened it up.

Got a mig welder already as I done the front of the car so no worries on that, although this is welding upside down which I absolutely hate lol.

Got a decent dremel but always needed some decent cutting disc. Are they really good then? if so then I'll order them as the angle grinder is really bulky.
    Those mini discs are good for cutting the awkward bits and getting square shapes.

Get some for cutting and some for grinding. I can guarantee you will find use for them.

The cutting discs don't last very long. But defo worth getting.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by kubaa View Post
    So cool that you're trying to save that car, most would have scrapped it already!

On the other hand, I think you can consider yourself lucky because you can see where it's rusty. Mine has a bunch of "repair" patches, but when you look on the other side you realise it's just sheet metal welded straight onto rust.
    I've spent far too much time and money on this car to let a little bit of crusty metal beat me. I guess I'm stubborn like that lol.

Yeah, I'm lucky in the fact that nobody else has bodged it in the past are really, if it's a small hole or a big hole, it makes no difference for repairing it as it all rusts from the inside out.

Those mini discs are good for cutting the awkward bits and getting square shapes.

Get some for cutting and some for grinding. I can guarantee you will find use for them.

The cutting discs don't last very long. But defo worth getting.

Cheers for the heads up on those discs, might order a set tomorrow.