Thread: Shunters S13 Project

Rides

Shunters S13 Project

Right then, thought I'd start up a project thread now that I've started work on my S13.

I picked it up off a friend a few weeks ago as a rolling shell which he'd begun to do some rust repair on it but then decided to sideline it to finish restoring his R32. It's pretty much a bare shell with just the basic suspension in place so I'm really starting from the ground up. It still needs some minor rust issues sorting so in a way it's good that I haven't got anything in my way to get them sorted.

Here's a few pics of it as I collected it:

First port of call was to replace the front ball joints as the threads were knackered on them and so we couldn't get a nut on them to hold them in place. This made the car a real headache to move from my mates onto the trailer and back off again into my driveway, having to jack it numerous times to reset the ball joint to stop the wheels flopping about. So yesterday I struggled like hell to get the passenger side one done and after what felt like an age, it was finished along with fitting the traction/tension arm, I decided I needed a pint, so this morning came the drivers side:

The drivers side was an absolute doddle this morning once I'd learned the technique and order in which I needed the relevant adapter pieces for the ball joint press tool.

Yesterday before fitting the first ball joint though I took stock of the few parts that had come with the car and decided to loosely bolt them into place so that they were either out of harms way or ready to be worked/built upon. That little lot included the dash bar, a steering column, rear view mirror, interior light and the majority of the boot latch.
    All bolted in place courtesy of the very helpful Jonny Wilkinson on here for sorting me out a care package of nuts and bolts. I really appreciate it Jonny otherwise I would have been struggling already. Although I'm still on the lookout for even more nuts and bolts, if any one else has spares lying about that they no longer need?

However, I'm missing the little loop section of the boot lock that bolts to the boot lid if anyone has one spare please?

That's all the progress for now. Next on the list is to fetch a steering rack and steering wheel off another friend of mine so that I can roll and steer the car easier in and out of the car port to properly work on it.

Progress will be a little slow and on the cheap side for the next few months until my wedding has passed and then I'll have more funds to throw at it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rides
    Also I have a handbrake handle that has come with the car but it just doesn't seem to line up with the bolt holes for it. The holes on it seem to be in the right place but it just doesn't seem to have a long enough stretch between where the handle assemble bolts and the plate to go through to the underneath of the car bolts.

Can anybody shed some light please as to me it doesn't seem to be able to extend in anyway? Do I have the assembly from the wrong model car by any chance?

Pic to help back up my explanation:

Rides
    Not sure what you mean with the handbrake but if you have attached it to the brakes at the back then you need to slacken off the adjuster nut at the front to allow you to move handbrake forward and bolt in position. If that's not what you mean then sorry for the ramble lol.

Rides
    No it's not attached to any brakes at the moment. The handbrake is just sat in place in that picture. The rear plate where it passes through to the underneath of the car is lined up with the holes but as you can see then handbrake is a good inch or two off it's mounting points. But I can't see anyway of changing the length between the two. Hope that kinda makes sense?

Rides
    Slacken the adjuster nut under the handbrake lever.. Looks to be around 2" of thread sticking out..

Rides
    I'll have another go at that but the black sleeve that the cable runs through is fixed to both the handbrake bracket and the rear plate through the car so it appears to be that which is stopping me from extending the distance between the pair

Rides
    I didn't know you could get new ball joints for 13 lower arms. Sure they're the right ones ?

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Rides
    Yea they were listed as ball joints for the S13 front lower arms and are exactly the same as the ones that have come out. Loads of them listed on eBay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    On another note, I picked up a S14 steering rack today from a mate of mine along with a steering wheel and boss so once they're on the car will be far easier to roll in and out of the car port to work on it

Rides
    Ok so another little bit of progress on the car this afternoon. Received my new steering rack bushes through the post so got out this afternoon to mount the rack and steering wheel. Opted for Superpro bushes as they seemed to be the ones most commonly available.

Had a bit of faff about as I fitted the rack and then spotted the tie rods and track rod ends were all odd. I can't complain too much as it was donated free from a friend of mine who had it lying spare and he also gave me a spare the rod and track rod end just in case which handily matched one of the tie rods already on the rack.

So after finally freeing everything off so I could adjust it all to work on the car it was fairly easy to get it all roughly lined up and bolted in.

Glad to finally have a car that will be easy to roll and control now rather than fighting two opposing wheels each time I need to move it.

I also had another look at the handbrake today and have took a few more photos to help explain my issue. I've bolted the handbrake handle in place now and slackened off the adjuster nut as suggested but still have the same issue. The braid/sheath the cable runs through from the rear of the handle to the plate where it transfers through the floor of the car is fixed at both ends so there's no way of extending the distance between the two without breaking it. So now I'm just guessing it's not the right one for an S13, I'm assuming it's probably from another S or R chassis as its so close.

Rides
    A pic of the other end of the cable is more likely to yield comments on whether it is the right part.

Rides
    Thats a project

Rides
    The part you are unable to bolt down, can you not pull it backwards? I've not fitted a hand brake to a 13 so I don't know but having fitted other cables normally you can move things like that.

Rides
    Have you tried bolting it down there 1st then pulling it slightly and bolting the handbrake mech down?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by pointz View Post
    Have you tried bolting it down there 1st then pulling it slightly and bolting the handbrake mech down?
    In the last pic it looks as though the cable sheath may pull through the plate as the plate doesnt appear to be crimped to the sheath?

Rides
    Right then, been a long time coming but I’m finally a married man and so now I have the free cash to start spending some time and money on this project.

So far though I’ve had a few interior parts donated from a few members which have been greatly received and today took a quick hour to organise them:

https://www.flickr.com/gp/shuntervhk/D5zGJY

https://www.flickr.com/gp/shuntervhk/kF6ZZS

https://www.flickr.com/gp/shuntervhk/781o5Q

https://www.flickr.com/gp/shuntervhk/5geu12

https://www.flickr.com/gp/shuntervhk/0z7BeA

https://www.flickr.com/gp/shuntervhk/3X2r0U

Most is only loosely placed in at the moment as I don’t have all the fixings but looking a loyal nearly than how it was.
    First major job will be some welding work as I’ve got replacement sill panels to go on along with a few other small areas to sort from where it used to have a cage, hydro and where the rear arches have been hacked.