Page 1 of 128 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: My S14a build

Rides

My S14a build

I've had my S14a for a while now and never thought to do a project thread so it's about time I set on up. Some of the mods might be out of order as I can't remember the exact order I did everything lol.

Here's the spec when I bought the car:

Apex 3" front pipe
    Apex 3" decat pipe (cat will also be supplied)
    Apex twin silencer cat back
    Apex Type 2 FMIC
    Apex quick shift
    Nismo radiator cap
    HKS SSQV on hotpipe
    Apex'i induction kit
    Walbro fuel pump
    Front strut brace
    Rear lower Strut Brace
    Denso ik24 spark plugs
    Hid's 6000K
    Led bulbs in sidelights to match.
    10 Grooved brembo front discs
    Ferodo front pads
    R33 Gtr Rims
    Front and Side Clear indicators
    DVD Player and Screen
    Prosport Gauges on pillar mount, 1 in centre dash where ashtray used to be.

Here's the photo's from the for sale add.

Rides
    The tyres on the GTR rims were very low so stuck some standards on for the winter (Epic fail i know).

Then had one of the photo's go into the SXOC calender, this one:

Next task was to lower the car on Eibach lowering springs.

Then the spare rocker cover was painted a nice gold

Followed by trying to repair the wacky rev counter. This didn't work so I bought another rev counter.

Rides
    I drove around with the car pretty much unchanged for a while before this happened in April 2008, this has just been resolved in December 2009 a full 20 months later.

I then lost the car for 2 weeks while it was in the bodyshop and got to drive this little VW around, it's pretty nice actually, scared a mate I saw drifting by following him, he thought I was old bill haha.

I then got the car back from the bodyshop after having the front wing replaced, drivers door & front bumper being painted, new front splitter, and I paid to have the bonnet painted and the badge removed.

Rides
    After a while of driving the car following the repairs I made the mistake of looking through the inspirational S-bodies thread and wanted to make my car alot better. This is where the wallet started to take a hit and its getting worse and worse lol.

I picked up a dirt cheap set of 17" 350z JDM wheels and thought i'd be happy with these.

Rides
    The car pretty much stayed unchanged for the first year as I was jut enjoying driving it. Although the big turning point other than putting the wheels on was when the turbo decided it didn't want to play nice anymore.

I order a GT28R from Horsham developments and had a bit of a nightmare as the studs for the elbow were about an inch too short. Mark came to the rescue with some studs and nuts so the car was back up an running again. The chatter from the turbo had now become alot louder and sounded awesome (HKS SSQV was sold ages ago but forgot to mention it.

After the turbo was fitted and running I decided to fit some Anti-roll bars from DB-Power and then a HUGE front mount intercooler to replace the APEX type 2 jobby, no pics of these i'm afraid.

The other recent mods that have been fitted are some rear subframe locking collars, some front tension rod bushes, a 330mm big brake kit from DB-Power.

Rides
    excellent read mate, cant wait to start on mine

Rides
    Very nice work so far Daz

Rides
    This may be the project thread with the most high quality pictures I've ever seen

Sure there is a bit more left to post up

Edit: I'm sure I used to have a set of those tables your tubby is sat on
    Last edited by Pablo13; 07-01-2010 at 17:55.
    bstmeetbllk

Rides
    Bout fcuking time mate

Some piccies for ya

New turbo

Daz looking like a

Stripped ready to fit the intercooler

Daz and Del being

Test fitting a Type 2 ic

Type 2 ic ready for the final fitting

Cause this is how Daz rolls
    Last edited by MEL; 07-01-2010 at 18:24.

Rides
    Thats the stuff MEL, Even it out with some mobile quality shots
    bstmeetbllk

Rides
    Thanks MEL lol.

There's lots to post up, just can't remember the order of everything lol.

In August last year I took the car out for a little track session at Brands Hatch and realised that I needed to get some bigger brakes and better suspension (this was with just lowering springs & strut braces.

The anti-roll bars were fitted after this track session. Followed by a nice big shiney intercooler from DB-Power.

After this was yet another oil change.

Then I decided that I really needed to focus on transforming the car into what I wanted it to do and look like (this is still going on).

I painted my R33 GTR wheels that had been sitting in the garden since buying the car

Once these were painted I developed a water leak that wouldn't go away, first off I had this happen on my way home from work.

Then I had to replace the radiator and a few hose clips around the engine but still had a water leak I couldn't find.

Whilst all this was happening I bought a set of KYB shocks from MAD_Hammer and ended up getting some standard nissan front shocks and standard replacement KYB rear shocks from him, not as described and not happy at all, avoid him like a bad rash. Never saw my £90 again.

I then bought some KYB AGX's and got around to fitting them to the car.

Then round to some of the good stuck, I got some rear subframe locking collars fitted and they made a massive difference to the handling of the car. They were then followed by some replacement bushes for the front tension rods.

Then came another delivery from Dan@DB-Power :-)

330mm front brakes, braided lines all round and yellow stuff pads, just waiting to be abused on track.

Next up, water leak reared it's head again leaving me broken down at the side of the road. Cause of the leak was a brittle plastic connector at the back of the engine about the turbo.

Just a little shoot I did for the car one day.

I then finally got around to fitting my R33 GTR wheels and they really set the car off and the 330 brake discs. I thought this would be the end of the exterior mods to the car but i was wrong.

Rides
    After being very happy with the car and how it looked Pablo and MEL told me I needed to sort out some more manly wheels for the car. I did some searching around to see what 18's would look like and ended up fitting some 18" 350Z wheels to fill the arch's.

I had these wheels about a week before I decided that I should try and get some proper 18x9.5 and get them sitting right.

I got a cracking deal from Ben (Evilchap) @ Rare rims and headed down there to collect my nice new shiney Bronze (not brown your Gheyer's).

To go with the wheels I decided to repaint my rocker cover the same colour. I ground off all the lettering and painted it up and gave it lots of coats of laquer.

fitted

I then got some 25mm spacers on the back to get a dam good fitment ET5

Who needs Hellaflush approved when you've got capri sun approved

Stance

I then took the wheels off again and painted up the calipers and the rusty bit of the brake disc to make them look nice and fresh. (ignore the sticker, that was to see who would bite at nismo stickers on Rota wheels, its photoshopped on).

Whilst in my modding mood I thought I'd take the interior out and clean it properly, spent around 5 hours doing these.

ironically I now want bucket seats lol.

Then painted the steering wheel column to match the rest of the interior.

Rides
    I've just received a nice box from APEX Performance with some brand new shiney Gen2 Comfy coilovers but the bloody snow is stopping me from getting these fitted.

I've ordered an OMP Corsica steering wheel aswell that should be arriving soon.

Thats it for the moment, I know I've missed alot but ohwell. Once the weather clears I'll give the car a good clean and polish and get some decent photo's of the current spec of the car.

Now just to decide how low I should run the car once the coilovers are on

Rides
    At last with the coilies

Nice one

Rides
    Looks gorgeous Daz , only think i would do (and have done one mine) is pick out the 'Nissan' on the calliper with silver paint, or do what a couple of guys have done on here and sand it back.

Really do like the colour coding too

Rides
    Mel, how low shall I go :d

Schumi, since that photo I've painted the letters with a gold pen, looks really good :-)

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Liking this project. Reminds me a fair bit of my own to be honest

How much power are you running then?

Keep up the good work
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Daz View Post
    Mel, how low shall I go :d
    as low as your mum titties

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Chriscooke View Post
    Liking this project. Reminds me a fair bit of my own to be honest

How much power are you running then?

Keep up the good work
    its roughly 260-270bhp at the moment. long term plans are to get over the 300bhp mark but need to sort a boost controller out, a chip and a new clutch to handle the extra grunt.

Quote Originally Posted by MEL View Post
    as low as your mum titties
    Scrapping the floor it is .

I'm thinking dropping the back another inch and the front about 2 inches . just so the arch sits inline with the top of the tyre.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Daz View Post
    love this pic daz, looks the muts nuts