Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: The Snowboarding thread

Down in the foam, playing with the string...
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by frisbee View Post
    When I learned to ski there were no snowboards at all (skiing in Ontario in the late 80s).
    Umm...

Quote Originally Posted by wiki(and other sources)
    The first snowboard was invented by Sherman Poppen in 1965 (called the 'Snurfer' for snow surfing) ... the state of Utah claims that the first snowboards were developed and manufactured there in the early 1970s
    Yes they were! Just not as popular. Getting more so than ever now though so you will see a lot of learners out there. I'm happiest off-piste in powder though which is where you will find many more boarders than skiers (in my experience). But, just like driving, everyone has to learn at some point so be nice! I don't make life hell for learner skiers (much - but the damn ski-school snakes/trains that slowly crawl down taking up the whole slope don't just irritate me, they piss off a lot of other people too!) so play nice Or if I encounter you, be prepared for a snowball inna face!

Rides
    Some of the anti skiing comments are funny. What is even funnier is now skiing is trendy, alot more so than snowboarding imo.

If you check the new skiing videos that are out they are going bigger and doing more impressive tricks than the snowboarders.

Rides
    Maybe, but this is "the snowboarding thread" not "the skiing thread"

I know skiing is making a comeback but that doesn't mean we have to like it. The key word (actually abbr.) is imo - only your opinion Anyway, I have friends who ski, friends who board and friends who do both. Its only banter - the skiers call us 'gays on trays' and, in turn get called 'pricks with sticks' - its all good natured!

I picked boarding after trying skiing and finding it incredibly uncomfortable and just plain felt weird - snowboarding felt much more natural to me. I also surf and used to skateboard so 1 plank felt so much better to me than 2 and a couple of sticks to wave about
    Last edited by Teggers; 31-12-2009 at 16:01. Reason: cos I have cold hands and can't type properly...

Rides
    yeah i will agree with that, one plank = two edges, ski,s = four edges to control. far to complicated imo.
    god yeah, the ski school trains, forgot about them. where we go, halfway down the slopes there are paths crossing them. the ski schools stop at the edge, gather there members, then go for it all together, with no consideration for anyone else! but hey if they wanna risk life and limb, then its upto them lol.

Rides
    Lol! Yes - seen that and they all set off one after the other without even looking! Idiots. I was going too fast to stop for them popping out from behind a tree without looking upslope Fortunately they were the little nippers about 4 or 5 years old and I found a mini kicker to launch off straight over them! The skier behind mew wasn't so lucky. He collided with one of the little buggers to much swearing and yelling from the 'instructor'. Who was then put in his place but a passing pisteur who told him to make sure no-one was coming down the main slope before crossing it.

Bet they looked upslope at the next junction after that!

Rides
    that sounds cool mate, would have loved to seen it.

Rides
    Going green reading this, wanted to do this since early teens, well past that age now though. Had a few ski lessons when at school but never really enjoyed that, but always liked my skateboard.
    Issue now is absolutely none of my mates do it, although the missus is interested And Tamworth snowdome is fairly close

Rides

Rides
    trick mate, dont know how old you are pal, but im 40 and took it up about 3 years ago and absolutely love it mate, cant get enough.

Rides
    After reading this thread i want to start boarding
    So what agvice would you give to a beginner? I can get to Xscape in Braehead for lessons but are they worth it? Also i stay about 15 mins from glen Coe so i want to make the most of that

So what tips for a newbie?

Rides
    1- Lessons are worth it (mine involved my now partner taking me to the top of a red run and taking the piss every time I fell over...)

2- IMPACT SHORTS!!!! Best bit of kit ever! Do you like not being able to sit down due to a broken coccyx? Thought not. Get some and be able to sit down at the end of the day! While I'm on protective gear - helmets aren't essential but are a damn good idea! I won't go out without mine Bex is also making me get body armour this time

3- boots. If your serious about taking it up, boots are the single most important bit of kit you'll get. You can rent the board and it will be decent and up-to-date but boots mould themselves to your feet. Rental boots won't fit correctly and I have a thing about other peoples sweaty feet

4- be prepared to fall over and look like a noob. You will be one but everyone has to learn at some point!

5- try and try again - it will come to you and most people pick up the basics pretty quickly.

6- have fun! You're not being paid to do it (yet ) likely you're paying! So enjoy yourself! Push the limits a bit, not too much though as snowsport injuries can be rather bad - trust me on this They are mostly caused by being daft or taking on more than you can handle.

Rides
    +1 for all of Tegger's comments - especially the impact shorts (xscape is usually very icy = pain when you inevitably fall over on your arse when learning!)

Learning at xscape is OK - but when you've been to a proper resort you prob won't be so keen to go back again. If you just want a taster to see if you like it and then to master the basics it's fine though

Also - I'd recommend some decent gloves - if you are learning at xscape you spend a lot or time sat watching (impact shorts are also comfier to sit on and stop your bum getting cold) and pushing yourself up - crappy gloves that aren't up to the job get wet and cold and it's not nice

Rides
    Nice one! Forgot about gloves! (Cold at work and no coffee )

Many prefer mitten-style gloves for warmth but I like the freedom of movement I get with 'normal' gloves. Mine are foam padded backs, double layer leather palms with extra padding on the webbing between thumbs and fingers and carbon inserts over the knuckles! My mum has taste (she bought them for me!)

Basically, you want something that will be reasonably waterproof but let your hands breathe, padding at least on the palms (for when you stuff it ) and the little adjustable loops to go round your wrists are useful too - if you're sliding face down and put your hands down to try and slow/stop, it can pull your gloves off. These little ties loop arounf your wrists so you don't then have to hike back up the mountian to get the gloves!

Rides
    me and the gf did a weekend beginners course at escape mate. teaches the basics and theory behind it. we then booked a holiday and a few days lessons in the resort, all i can say is it was like night and day. you will lovve it. we fly out this afternoon, and i cant wait. i dont use a helmet or impact shorts, as i class myself as not good enough to need them yet, but seriously thinking about it this year as i am getting constantly faster and braver as i get more feel for it.

cheers neil.

obviously my views on the saftey gear are my at my own risk, and i would reccomend all the correct padding and protection for anyone having a go at this.
    Last edited by eloise; 02-01-2010 at 08:27.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by eloise View Post
    me and the gf did a weekend beginners course at escape mate. teaches the basics and theory behind it. we then booked a holiday and a few days lessons in the resort, all i can say is it was like night and day. you will lovve it. we fly out this afternoon, and i cant wait. i dont use a helmet or impact shorts, as i class myself as not good enough to need them yet, but seriously thinking about it this year as i am getting constantly faster and braver as i get more feel for it.

cheers neil.

obviously my views on the saftey gear are my at my own risk, and i would reccomend all the correct padding and protection for anyone having a go at this.
    I'd definitely advise both though mate You don't have to be going fast to catch an edge. The one day I didn't wear a helmet I caught and edge (not going fast) and landed on my head. I wore a neck-brace for a week afterward. Although some of my friends say I'm mentally unbalanced anyway...

Soooo envious of you now! Due to potential purchase of our first house its starting to look unlikely that we'll be going at all this year Will try to persuade her that we can afford it I've saved here and there and almost have enough for all 3 of us to go now but she thinks it would be better use in putting toward a house.

Rides
    1 week to go
    Anyone know what the snow's like in 2 Alpes?

Rides
    If its anything like Morzine (not too far away) there's almost 150cm at the moment on the hill

I'm now - with some help from her mum, we've just persuaded my other half that we NEED this holiday!

Rides
    As an intitial investment as a beginner, how much cash would I need for some kit, not including a board purchase, just say boots and gloves and warm kit? Im not talking being a brand whore just good practical stuff, and any suggestions on a good spot to purchase?

Rides
    Boots are about £80-300+ dependant on features and brand - ignore both and go for ones that fit well and are comfy - a decent shop will be able to fit them for you - try somewhere like snow and rock or at the local snowzone..

Gloves - £20-30 or so. The warmer and the more waterproof the better. The palms / fingers take a battering when you carry a board around (sharp edges) so I'd look for ones with reinforcement

Jacket - £80+ or so

Boarding Pants - £80+ or so.

For jacket and pants, try TKMaxx - they often have cheap boarding/skiing stuff in stock. You ideally want something waterproof and breathable as well as warm but not bulky. If the pants are insulated that's even better - usually this is from the knees up and makes a big difference

Rides
    ^^ Add to this make sure the jacket has a 'snow skirt' (at the bottom inside there should be am elasticated 'skirt' with poppers on the front and hopefully some tags on the back) as its great for stopping snow going up your back/down your trousers after falling!

Same with board pants - around the bottom hem where your feet come out there should be a similar thing.

I'm not brand whore but I do find the branded stuff is often better quality than the cheap stuff. I started out with Dare2be jacket and pants but they didn't breathe and I ended up sweating like a sweaty thing. Just before I moved out tehre I bought Billabong pants and an O'Neill Launch jacket. Both are still going strong.

A backpack would be an idea too - saves bulking up pockets with spare gloves, scarves, food, drink, sunnies, sun cream (VVV IMPORTANT!!!!) 1st aid kit, multi-tool and so on. I carry all this in a Dakine Heli pack.

If there is one now (think they are all finished till next season though) a ski and snowboard show is a good place to get kit. As much as 50% discount at the trade stands too - this is where I got mine from