Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 20282930

Thread: The Snowboarding thread

Rides
    Sounds like everyones getting excited for the snow then
    I got Avoriaz in jan the Les Deux Alpes in feb can't wait to get back on it and test out new board

Japan Looks amazing pritty jellouse of that lol

That must be a pritty sweet job mike getting to test all the gear, will that be all there 15/16 range have seen burton floating around desines for the season already on Instagram

Al

Rides
    Japan does sound sweet but the prices

Gear will be 14/15, tbh it's a bit of a blag, we did most of our gear testing (as do most ski/snowboard magazines) last season, all happens on an organised week in March/April for the following season.

This is actually our Christmas party, the PR company hosting us just happen to look after all the aforementioned brands so are filling the chalet with gear for us.

It's a pretty sweet job if you're a gear whore like me - also work for Active Traveller so got most bases covered for gear and holidays!

Rides
    During last season, on the last day and on the last run near the end I hurt my self real bad on sheet ice, long story short I got raped by the mountain. Only when I took my Demon shorts off did I realised the coccyx padding was missing, which is why it hurt so bad.

So fast forward to the present and you can imagine my money no object desire for top end impact shorts
    Realistically I want to pay between £60-£100 so I bought these, apparently used by professionals! Sucker
    https://www.absolute-snow.co.uk/V/Fo...L_Grey-(25888)

I could find nothing but praise for them but problem is I don't like them, so they are being returned. They are very heavy, the padding is very thick and also very hard.

I'm tempted by either these:
    https://www.absolute-snow.co.uk/V/Da..._Black-(65224)

Or probably more likely these, apparently the Dainese are light and slim fit:
    https://www.absolute-snow.co.uk/V/Da...kWhite-(65230)

Any suggestions before shell out money on them? Up to 2 weeks for a refund is a bit shit tbh.

Rides
    Thread bump, my board is a Ride Compact 143. I've just been informed my board needs cleaning. What are you supposed to clean them with?

Rides
    I've never cleaned the base of my board before, I just wax it regularly. Why have you been advised to clean it?

Rides
    It sticks to new snow so that I point my board downhill and don't move. Apparently you need to clean them after freestyle. It is discoloured underneath. I had mine waxed a month or so ago so it doesn't need that. I guess I'll just try wiping it? I have done freestyle quite a few times before without needing to clean it though.

Rides
    Sounds very strange, you can buy base cleaner but "cleaning the base" gets a lot of hate from people. https://www.absolute-snow.co.uk/V/Bu...FW8o0wodCY8C-w

I always wipe the base down with a hot wet ragg before i wax the board, then scrape and brush it to give a nice finish. I can't understand how any dirt under that new layer of wax would affect the performance of the board?

Rides
    I dunno, it's just what I've been told. Don't really know what I'm gonna do.

Rides
    give these guys a call they'll be able to advise you 01455 442783 http://www.ski-snowboard-tuning.com/

Rides
    Just been snowboarding at chill factore for the first time in nearly two years. Last time I went I was 18 weeks pregnant, my daughter is now 19 months old lol. It went better than expected. It took two runs to get to grips with toe edge turns as I wasn't pushing my hips forward, no puns please lol. My 180's are shocking now, I don't think I even left the snow. I never had them on lockdown anyway. I don't know if I need a shorter board, currently ride a 143 and I'm 5 foot 1 or if I need to workout my legs lol. Any snowboarders left on here?

Down in the foam, playing with the string...
    Rides
    Still here although I've not been for a few years due to kids, house project and general life getting in the way.

Glad to see you're back into it! Seems to get popular each time the winter Olympics is on. That's a great injection for the sport!

Get your daughter on a board too in a couple of years time! She'll love it, progress stupidly quickly then complain that mum can't keep up

Rides
    I want to get her into it if she wants. When they fall over it doesn't hurt them so much does it lol

Rides
    Went again today, snow quality was pants and was full of moron skiers to dodge but had so much fun. Sometimes it's better when you've got no expectations. Frontside 180's were getting a little better, actually landed on my edge a few times rather than flat base. Still looked ugly and are incredibly difficult for me to do. My tail presses were great oddly, it's like I found the sweet spot. Can't wait to go again soon

Rides
    Nice! Shame about skiers, although they are useful of flat bits to give you a tow

Bad news for me. Moving house next week and brought our boards down from storage in the loft. Hers is fine. Mine seems to have delaminated and all the glossy topsheet has peeled off and the base is knackered. Looks like a new board then. Once the move is done, work done on new house and we can actually afford a holiday!!

I learnt in the mountains. Tried a snowdome a couple of times but they are very park focused. I'm an off-piste and ba k country boy at heart!

Don't get me wrong - I can do rails and jumps but it's not as fun as fresh powder in the kids of nowhere!

Rides
    Maybe you had a tiny cut near the edge and moisture got in? I'd love to go on holiday and snowboard but impossible at the moment with covid around and having the little one. My board is battered on top and delaming a bit but base is good. Edges get a bit rusty so I get it sanded once a year ish. I'm probably not good enough for it to effect my riding much but when it's had an "edge" its great. Like looking at a freshly polished car. Doesn't stay that way long but I never bother letting mine dry out, it goes straight in a bag then in my cupboard lol

Rides
    It did have a few cracks on the topsheet... it was well used and the base was approx 25% ptex repair!! A few slams sideways into rocks/poles bent the rails and caused some moisture to get in. Tbh, I've had it for 18 years and it's put up with so much abuse, hard riding and general mistreatment all in the name of finding a great ride. I'm proud of it but it's time to let go and replace it.

Have you looked into doing your own maintenance? It's easy to learn and will save you money long term. I also found that waxing it myself, it lasts longer than a shop wax.

Rides
    18 years Put it up on a wall in new house? Last time I looked it was about £25 for a pot of wax and it costs me £20 to have everything done. If I ever get chance to do freestyle again I'll probably look at wax as features batter the base don't they.

Rides
    Would have loved to put it up but it was tatty with the topsheet peeling off. Space was at a premium for the move as we had both cars full, my Evo was already here full of tools and spares and the horsey bits were transported separately. And we still filled a big lorry!! But that is a family of 4 plus mother in law's annexe so pretty much another household.

Fair enough. Personally I prefer doing my own maintenance as I have trust issues with people doing stuff for me when I can do it myself.

Rides
    Well I've done my own maintenance. The base of my board is black with filth (supposed to be orange) so I attempted a hot wax scrape to get it off but it's too ingrained. I made the mistake of putting way too much wax on it though and not scraping it off quick enough. I then managed to fix my f*** up by putting a thin layer of wax on it and heating it up really hot with the iron and moving the iron quickly. I then scraped off as fast as possible. Then I waxed the board as you do. I'd seen a video of someone using what looked like a wire brush to put some "lines" in the base. I thought that looked a bit harsh so put some in with a nail brush haha.
    Tested it out today and was fast so all good. It's a learning curve haha