Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The Snowboarding thread

Rides
    My none equipment related contribution.

http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=440200

I pretty much ride whatever is knocking around or i can borrow from friends. Like to keep my own binding and boot setup the same each time as I find that helps. Normally ride switzerland and sometimes austria. More into hiking, backcountry, and powder than piste and park riding.

Rides
    teggers,
    went to buy some wax and the guy in the shop reccomended a liquid treatment, with added teflon. you add a few drops to a sponge applicator and apply to the board, then buff it up. it coats on top of the wax thats there already. you have to apply it every 2 days or so.

have you heard of anything like this and is it any good mate.

cheers neil.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by eloise View Post
    teggers,
    went to buy some wax and the guy in the shop reccomended a liquid treatment, with added teflon. you add a few drops to a sponge applicator and apply to the board, then buff it up. it coats on top of the wax thats there already. you have to apply it every 2 days or so.

have you heard of anything like this and is it any good mate.

cheers neil.

Yeah, I use that stuff !!! ..... its great, makes the board as slippery as feck, dont really notice it on normal runs / off pieste stuff etc, but hit a flat spot on a run or gliding away from the top of the lift and you dont loose any speed ... its the difference between unclipping and walking or gliding past a few walkers

As you say though, it only lasts 2 days max

It doesnt protect the board in anyway ... it just makes it more slippery on the snow

Rides
    cheers dude. its no substitute for a proper wax job, but sort of compliments it. im gonna give it a try anyways and see how i get on.

Down in the foam, playing with the string...
    Rides
    Not tried the liquid stuff but I have used rub-on. It was shite. From what you and Johnny say, the liquid stuff could be worth a shot. Have used back to black spray before too

TBH, for my weeks holiday in March I'll do a decent wax-job before we go (so I don't have to take all my stuff with me) and that should last a weeks hard boarding. Always did before when we lived there Used to wax once a fortnight...

Trying to find some Swix Cera Nova CF4 at the mo. Nowhere in the UK seems to have it Tried the Data wax but it didn't last anywhere near as long as Swix.

Rides
    they call it zardoz, not wax, base lubricant. thought i would give it a try next week.

Rides
    they call it zardoz, not wax, base lubricant. thought i would give it a try next week.
    Thats the stuff .... I have their sticker on my helmet !!!

As I said, dont expect to notice it doing anything on the steep stuff, it may or may not do anything, but at that sort of speed I cant tell.

Where it works great is flat areas where you are trying not to shed any speed, or in the park where you are trying to pick up speed getting to a jump and you started to close, or had to put a move in to avoid other people !

I think its great anyway

Rides
    Hmm. Might get some for our trip to supplement the damn good waxing its going to get before we go. Although flat bits aren't usually much of an issue... We tend to cut the corners off on the pisted runs and just go straight through the trees

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Teggers View Post
    Hmm. Might get some for our trip to supplement the damn good waxing its going to get before we go. Although flat bits aren't usually much of an issue... We tend to cut the corners off on the pisted runs and just go straight through the trees
    I discovered the stuff after a particulary bad waxing.

Got me and the GFs boards serviced in a resort shop .. next day the fcukers just refused to slide. ... on a gentle slope you could stand on the board pointing down the fall line and the fcuker just sat there.

It was great for doing icy blacks tht day as it was like boarding on carpet. Anyway, I told a guy in a shop about it in the neighbouring resort at lunch, he said try this (not wax) so I did, and by jove the boards slid again.

I can only assume that the original guy that did the service didnt scrape enough wax off ???????

The boards got better over the week as the icy conditions just shredded the bottom of the boards ...... but to this day I dont get of a chairlift at a slow pace anymore ... the second the board hits snow its sliding, with or without me

Rides
    Some resort shops are better than others. I first had mine done by a guy that my other half knew was good. He was kind enough to talk me through the process so I could do it myself.

Sounds like your guy may have take too much wax off! I was really lazy one time and melted the wax on, smoothed it out and then left it. I've never been so fast on my board!!! For a couple of runs anyway till the snow froze the wax and then icy bits stripped it off... Thinking about it, this may also be what happened to you - too much/too little one needs to get the balance right!

I love getting off chairlifts - pretend to be a beginner, wobble around flailing your arms and watch everyone panic and try to get out of your way

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Teggers View Post
    I love getting off chairlifts - pretend to be a beginner, wobble around flailing your arms and watch everyone panic and try to get out of your way
    its also a great time to legitimately take out skiers, who decide to stop and chat 5m infront of a chair lift. ... nothing more fun than playing tenpin bowling with you as the ball and them the pins.

Rides
    Legitimately? I just do it anyway Usually while passing with a double handful of snow... Another advantage to boarding - your hands are free for running snowball fights! Skiers feel the need to wave a couple of sticks around thinking it makes them look like they know what they are doing.

Although, I can't actually remember seeing a skier use the sticks for anything other than leaning on whilst chattering away in the middle of the pistes blocking it for everyone else... Or stabbing down on my board in the lift queue He was hunted down and run over for that little incident. Then, as I got up, 'accidentally' stuffing a handful of snow down his back. All because he seemed to have this thing against snowboarders and I saw him deliberately stabbing his prick-sticks on other boarders boards wrecking the finish on theirs too.

edit: Actually - some are nice and use the sticks to give me a bit of a tow on a flat bit where I was running out of forwards.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    its also a great time to legitimately take out skiers, who decide to stop and chat 5m infront of a chair lift. ... nothing more fun than playing tenpin bowling with you as the ball and them the pins.
    I think one tried with this me: Dainese body armour 1 snowboarders face 0

I do need to try snowboarding at some point though.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by frisbee View Post
    I think .

Bollocks that ever happened ...... I dont care what you claim, I have never ever seen a skiier think

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Bollocks that ever happened ...... I dont care what you claim, I have never ever seen a skiier think
    No, the thinking happened after the dull thump against my back and seeing a snowboarder slide past in a heap. Almost makes me wish I'd tested it on the road.

Rides
    No, the thinking happened after the dull thump
    Ah, maybe you are telling the truth then, the dull thump will have been your skiers brain engaging.

I am suprised though that you came up with the thought that the snowboarder hit you .... normally after the dull thump of brain activity skiers come to the conclusion that they need a new one piece suit or a babysham at the bar

Rides
    gutted i can't go boarding this year due to lack of funds i've missed out 2 years in a row now i've been boarding on and off for a few years now, i'm not into falling off jumps so i stick to cruising and try to get off piste when the snows good, been to serre chavalier, les 2 alpes, three valleys, chamonix, val d'isere and tignes, and any field with some snow in back home... off up to yad moss near penrith this weekend for a go on the tow, snow looks go on the web cam hope theres still some left by the time we get there

some pics from our last trip to val/tignes, snow was crap almost all the off piste was wind blown slab

Last edited by tommyb; 31-12-2009 at 12:06.

Rides
    skier is just another term for brake tho, is it not. arrogant, selfish people. most dont even appear to have fun and just wanna be part of the in crowd.
    anyways, enough of that. im just psyching myself up as i packed my board bag last night and cant wait to go now thats if it dont belt it down with snow here like its predicting, so i cant get to the aqirport.

Rides
    I think one tried with this me: Dainese body armour 1 snowboarders face 0.
    Bex is refusing to let me go unless I get body armour this year. She says I'm too mad! So what? A mere few broken bones is nothing!!!

I do need to try snowboarding at some point though.
    Do it... DO IT!! Come to the dark side! You'll never go back

Rides
    skier is just another term for brake tho, is it not. arrogant, selfish people. most dont even appear to have fun and just wanna be part of the in crowd.
    anyways, enough of that. im just psyching myself up as i packed my board bag last night and cant wait to go now thats if it dont belt it down with snow here like its predicting, so i cant get to the aqirport.
    When I learned to ski there were no snowboards at all (skiing in Ontario in the late 80s).

I've spent a few weeks in Europe skiing recently and most of the snowboarders I came across seemed to spend their time dragging snow down the slopes as they nervously side-slipped (?) down slopes that were too difficult for them. The few that were capable of going down the slopes looked liked they were having fun though.