Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1927282930 LastLast

Thread: The Snowboarding thread

Rides
    Mini bump for this one. Just done my 3rd lesson at Hemmel so just starting to get the hang of turns. Already been thinking of a trip to the snow to put it into practice and thinking of getting some beginners kit so looking for advice.

The board I was given for my lesson was a 158. I'm about 5 10 and 80kgs with size 12 feet so any suggestions or advice would be great. Board, boots, bindings and kit plus anything that'll be good to know!

Rides
    If you are just starting out, I'd skip buying a board and bindings for a little while - the rental kit is normally plenty good enough, and it'll give you some time to work out your preferences board wise - if you want something for charging down the mountains, something more trick oriented, or something in between. After a few trips to 'real' snow you'll know more of what your preferences are, so can make a more educated choice. Most of the bigger resorts also let you rent high end boards, or have manufacturers demo days where you can try a load of kit out too

I'd recommend getting your own boots though (and instore, not over the internet!!) - depending on which resort you are planning on going to there may be a better selection or cheaper boots (canada / US can be 30-50% cheaper for kit), and the boot fitters will likely fit a lot lot more people a day than somewhere like snow and rock, so can help you make a better choice. Whatever you do, read the sizing guides (toe should *just* be touching the end of the boot stood up normally, when you lean forwards your toes should pull back without your heels lifting), and they should feel snug but not constrictive. Keep them on for as long as possible in the shop, walk around, assume the pose etc... One trick is to get a big selection, put a different one on each foot for 5-10 mins, then keep the most comfy one on and try the next one on the other foot. One you've narrowed it down to the comfiest, put them both on and wait for half an hour or so Different boots fit very differently - eg. Salomon's tend to be narrow, Burton/Vans wide etc etc. As you have big feet it may be worth asking about reduced volume boots - some of the brands have big size boots with smaller footprints to stop you overhanging the board so much... Don't get hung up over colours / brands / marketing / fancy lacing systems - go for what fits you best and feels comfy, as uncomfy boots turn into absolute agony on the slopes...

For the rest of the kit - TKMaxx is good for cheap trousers / jackets, or look at some of the online places like surfdome and the snowboard asylum. I'd avoid cheapy makes (Regatta, Trespass etc), especially if you are learning as you will spend ages on your knees / ass and you don't want them to leak!

I'd really really recommend a set of Dainese ass protectors as well, when you land on your coxics you will be very very glad of them... Knee pads probably would be useful too... Oh - and get a helmet

Rides
    I'd go with the above, especially the backside protector and helmet. I feel like Robocop when I hit the slopes these days but it's worth it.

Separately I've not booked my trip this year due to work commitments but should be arranging a last minute deal for the Alps... can't wait.

Rides
    Cheers guys, sounds like proper useful advice! Wrist protectors are something I've heard mentioned a few times?

Rides
    I've got some built into my gloves - they do help, but the risk is that if you have a big fall you can badly break your arm rather than the easier to heal wrist...

Rides
    http://www.thesnowboardshop.co.uk/

This place any good? Looking for somewhere in the South where I can try some boots on...

Rides
    Definitely get ass protection, I had a fairly big fall in '12, front edge dug in and I summersaulted and landed on my but, stung for a while but by the time I got to the bottom of the slope it was fine, so I only made a half assed attempt and finding some last year, which meant I went without them, BIG mistake, tried a little jump on the very compacted snow on the second day, and couldn't even lay on my back for the pain, spent the rest of the week riding with a towel down my trousers, terrified of falling.

Also a helmet is a really good idea.

Alex B

Rides
    So tempted to get the board out and go this year

Rides
    Went to snowboards4u today and tried on three pairs of boots (didn't have much in a 12!). The first two were a bit stiffer than the rental ones which I'd expect and were more top end models. Tried a low end pair which were pretty soft, think the stiffer ones would be better as there's more control? Didn't really look at boards but he showed me some wide models about £160 which would be good for a beginner looking to improve. Linky

Might try here tomorrow Linky
    Last edited by Parker; 25-01-2014 at 16:51.

Rides
    Stiffer boots are generally for more experienced riders, as they're less forgiving, (more responsive so will pick up on beginner wobbles etc).

Alex B

Rides
    They're also pretty expensive! Going to try some mid erm stiffness ones (mid level?) as they should be more generic? The one's I've got for lessons were inbetweeny

Rides
    The Snowboard Shop (they went to town on the name!) was really good. Nice selection of kit and the guys there really knew their stuff, more so than Snowboards4U. The Vans boot in the link was soooooo comfy I think I have to get them

Had a Level 4 lesson last night (linked turns and intro to main slope) which went really well. Got a different sized boot thanks to the stuff I picked up trying them on which might have helped but got the hang of turning on the smoother slope. The main slope was pretty bumpy but not too bad so might go back for one more lesson to polish it up a bit
    Can see a holiday right at the top of my wish list now...

Rides
    Boots will soften up a bit as you wear them - unless they are mega mega stiff or mega mega soft, I'd go for comfort over stiffness..

If you are going to Hemel, The Snowboard Asylum is pretty close - they should have a decent selection of kit to try on

Rides
    don't they have a bunch of boots you can try on in the shop at hemel?

Wasn't planning on going this year due to a lack of holiday with work until someone mentioned they were going to andorra this weekend making me insanely jealous. 4 hours later i had booked a trip to mayrohfen for me and a friend. Literally cannot wait.

Rides
    On the way to 'all the gear and no idea'. Bought the best pair of boots that I tried on plus jacket and trousers. Going back for full on main slope stuff on Wednesday. Had a little go on it last time and rocked it

Rides
    Up from the depths anyone ells hitting up the snow this season?
    Al

Rides
    Off to Chamonix on 12th December with the Snow Magazine team, will be staying in the Patagonia chalet there which will be full of gear from Patagonia, Oakley, Anon and Burton for us to test, will be shown around the slopes by some Patagonia pro riders......not that I'm showing off or anything 😀

Rides
    Driving to Chamonix area again for my 3rd year, early January. Just on the verge of getting everything booked up, can't wait.

Rides
    Briancon for new year, whistler in feb. Hoping there's powder!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by immy21 View Post
    Driving to Chamonix area again for my 3rd year, early January. Just on the verge of getting everything booked up, can't wait.
    Cool! I lived in Chamonix for 2 years, I moved back to the UK earlier this year, its a great town and the mountains are some of the most renowned in the world, I got to ride some serious lines when I was there and miss it almost everyday.

This year Im going to Hakuba (Nagano) and Niseko in Japan for xmas and new years - 19 days until I go! Should be powder central, well thats the plan at least!
    Last edited by sx rider r17t; 02-12-2014 at 10:15.