Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The Snowboarding thread

Rides
    Whistler is DEAD this year precisely due to the olympics, as they arent all in Whislter (think blackcomb has a bit) Its quite a high end place (compared to France). I found France to be a, get as many in as we can affair, while whistler was very luxury (buying houses there is seriously expensive) Awesome restaurants and bars. I found it to be a better atmosphere in Whistler than the apls (but that was the summer)

Down in the foam, playing with the string...
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jord View Post
    prepared by hot, naked* live-in chalet girls.
    Mmm I love chalet girls - well 1 anyway! My other half was one She and her mum ran a chalet in Morzine for 8 years!

Quote Originally Posted by eloise View Post
    the other halfs stuff is all burton gear cause she has to have the best lol
    I have to disagree - Tried a couple of burton boards. Didn't really like them. My older Salomon just felt better quality. Burton are the Apple of snowboarding world (i.e. you can only use their bindings with their boards etc) and for precisely this reason, I won't buy anything Burton

The 'best' boards are always a matter of opinion though - I've lusted after a Ride Timeless for years and now I have the money to buy one, they are discontinued One of my mates has the best named board ever - the Capita BSOD (Black Snowboard Of Death ) but running a close second is Endeavors top line board - the BOD (Board of Directors )

Kit-wise I use a mix of all sorts including Salomon, Forum, Flow, Billabong, O'neill, Version, Dakine, 661 and so on. Its personal choice at the end of the day - all my stuff works for me but possibly won't for anyone else.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Teggers View Post
    Burton are the Apple of snowboarding world (i.e. you can only use their bindings with their boards etc) .
    I have had flow bindings attached to my burton for 4 years now

I went with the Burton as it was pleasently priced and worked well as an all mountain board. ..... I could have bought no end of other boards in a similar spec, but they all commanded a higher price for pretty pictures on them . That and the burton was a fatter board and I like wide boards

Rides
    there is a lack of pics on this thread!

Rides
    Was thinking just last night about starting. Iv heard that Tamworth snow dome do a beginners course for a whole day. £170. Is this the way to go?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    I have had flow bindings attached to my burton for 4 years now

I went with the Burton as it was pleasently priced and worked well as an all mountain board. ..... I could have bought no end of other boards in a similar spec, but they all commanded a higher price for pretty pictures on them . That and the burton was a fatter board and I like wide boards
    TBH, I haven't actually looked at board prices for a few years... Don't Burton have that weird triangular inserts for bindings? When others use side-by-side setup? I distinctly remember seeing that.

Rides
    I wouldn't do a whole day personally. I learnt from scratch this year and from experience you fall ALOT in your first few hours. Its also very tiring as you use muscles your not used to!

We did a 3hr Fast-track lesson to start with and then a further 3hrs the next week. That was all the lessons we needed to get practicing. If you can do what we did you'll save money too - take your first 3hr lesson 'officially', make friends with the instructor and get private tuition 'off the books' for the next lesson, saved us a fortune!

Rides
    Cheers for the advice Jord. Where's the best place to look at going. I heard "snowmax"? in Manchester is good but thats a fair old trek for me

Rides
    Isn't there one in Hemel now... anyone been? I fancy a few runs. Furthermore anyone reccomend a good place to take my board to so they can sort my chewed threads?

Rides
    teggers, i know exactly what you mean about the burtons mate. last year she decided to try some flow easy in bindings and these fit the burton triangle no probs, but after a day she could not live with the flow ones so i thought cool, im in bulgaria, theres tons of cheap bindings all over, no problem. fcuk, how wrong was i. 3 hrs to track down the only burtons there at £170 ffs. and yes she has got an apple i phone lol. she may not be very good at boarding but she says i might as well look good doing it. women eh!

Rides
    I've only been to Xscape at MK and Xscape at Castleford. Both are good although I prefer MK.

Apparently Tamworth is looking a bit dated now.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by eloise View Post
    she may not be very good at boarding but she says i might as well look good doing it. women eh!
    I don't look particularly good while doing it... Tan board pants stitched up with black thread (only clolour I had at the time ) from a spill on a sharp rock, ripped and torn lower cuffs, battered board and bindings and so one. I wouldn'#t say I'm really good at boarding but I'm waaay better than a lot of the people you see out in expensive shiny new gear.

Its all used and abused from learning though - I'm now better at jumps and off-piste than my other half (who was my instructor - how we met ) mainly because I have much stronger legs (long distance runner) but she's much better at speed (its the board - honest!) and the controlled technical bits.

IMO, the hardcore boarders (those who do it for the thrill of doing it and not because its fashionable/want to pose) are the scruffier ones. Shows the kit gets used well!
    Last edited by Teggers; 18-12-2009 at 14:39.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Teggers View Post
    TBH, I haven't actually looked at board prices for a few years... Don't Burton have that weird triangular inserts for bindings? When others use side-by-side setup? I distinctly remember seeing that.
    maybe its a new thing ..... mine has the standard 8 ? screw holes that you just screw any binding to, as I am sure they all did around 4 years ago

Might have changed now though, havent bought a board in a while, no need until mine dies

Rides
    yeah exactly mate, me and the two boys go racing off, over jumps, through trees, icing skiers or brakes as my 8 year old calls them lol. we then wait at the bottom for my gf as she just lkes to plod down at her own pace. but the thing is, she just really loves it, and just keeps on going back for more! our gear is tatty looking, but thats due to the amount of time spent on the deck lol but its comfortable and i think thats what counts. i jut cant wait to go now seeing all this snow about.

cheers neil.

Rides
    Me too - not only in Morzine (checking the webcams daily ) but hoping there will be some decent snow on Dartmoor again - almost went up to Haytor with the boards last year but other half was 3 months pregnant at the time and didn't want to risk it.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    maybe its a new thing ..... mine has the standard 8 ? screw holes that you just screw any binding to, as I am sure they all did around 4 years ago

Might have changed now though, havent bought a board in a while, no need until mine dies
    Most boards have 8-10 holes but Burton introduced their odd 3 hole thingy in 2006. And as only Burton (at the time - don't know if others are doing it now - would make sense though as Burton own Red, Gravis, Anon, Analog, Forum, Special Blend, Foursquare and Jeenyus now too - taken from Wiki) make that mounting pattern, then you have to buy their bindings

I'm sure they make some good kit but I avoid them much like I avoid Oakley - every f*cker has them. And, incidentally, why I bought a 200sx - the rarity thing! I don't want something that loads of other people have too. And probably don't appreciate/use to the extent of the things capability.

BTW, my Forum bindings are pre-Burton ownership

EDIT: this is the insert pattern to which I am referring (and no, standard 2x2 bolt holes don't fit the center 4 holes)
    Last edited by Teggers; 18-12-2009 at 15:46.

Rides
    On the burton top end boards they have a funny slidey arrangement now too. For the pic above, some bindings come with inserts to adapt..

Burton Method:

As ridden by brand whores with fat wallets everywhere (It's Burton and it's the most expensive - gotta have that one!)
    Last edited by Jonny; 18-12-2009 at 15:56.

Rides
    I've got an ancient Burton Skippy (or something like that...) , with Burton Freestyle bindings. Both were well used before they became mine, but were fine for learning in Morzine last year. I went to the Three Valleys skiing when I was a teen with school, probably going to Italy somewhere sometime this seson, not exactly sure where or when though.

Rides
    Just booked a fortnight's boarding in Utah

Can't wait - although I will have to until the end of March

Rides
    id love to go snowboarding but ill just be the guy rolling past everyone

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnybono View Post
    there is a lack of pics on this thread!
    Ive been for the last 3 years and love every min of it. First year in La Rosiere, France, then the last 2 in Tignes, France. Going back to Tignes on the 8th Jan, can wait. Started to go switch and hit some jumps last year and cant wait to get back there.

Board - Salomon Patrol 167 (I am 6'7 so its a big ass board)
    Bindings - Salomon
    Boots - Salomon Dialogue

Tignes this year

Bath, England

Taking some helmet video cameras this time
    Last edited by gav_man_7; 23-12-2009 at 21:19.