Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HID install

Rides
    Was easy enough to stick a hole in the back of the light, its not needing to be big or clever....

Rides
    thanks for the tool options
    Cheers folks for the helpful information
    Managed to fit the HIDs finally,
    only to find the yellow sidelights a bit gastly..
    Anyway of solving this without another HID set?

Rides
    What's the beam pattern like on S14's with HID's?

Rides
    perfect they will pass a mot test on the beam image i know cause i'm a mot tester and set mine up on the headlight tester at work

you have to make sure the alignment is perfect to get the best of them i found

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by fordy View Post
    perfect they will pass a mot test on the beam image i know cause i'm a mot tester and set mine up on the headlight tester at work

you have to make sure the alignment is perfect to get the best of them i found
    How do you make sure the alignment is good may I ask?
    All I could do in the process was made sure the bulbs were fully in and clicked tbh.

Rides
    raise the beam height so its clear to see on the alignment tester
    then set the beam break point to the 0% line
    then lower the height down to 1.25% line
    forget the kick up as our headlights have a flat beam pattern so its not be affected

Rides
    Sweet, cheers (again! lol) I was worried as the headlight glass isnt clear.

Rides
    HI guys just to ask another question about the HID's, everyone says that the dipped beam goes off when you put your main beam on or flash someone. But i checked mine and that is not the case. My dipped beam stays on when the main beam is on and when i flash someone.

If this is the case do i need to install a relay with the HID's?

Thanks

Matt

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by mattb_1001 View Post
    HI guys just to ask another question about the HID's, everyone says that the dipped beam goes off when you put your main beam on or flash someone. But i checked mine and that is not the case. My dipped beam stays on when the main beam is on and when i flash someone.

If this is the case do i need to install a relay with the HID's?

Thanks

Matt
    If it doesnt go off, then you already have a relay if i understand it correctly.
    The whole idea of the relay is to make sure the dipped doesnt keep switching off as not a good thing for them to keep flicking off/on

Rides
    Its not that dip doesnt illuminate with mainbeam, its more a case of the main/dip stalk momentarily cuts the power when you toggle between dip & main beam. Its this fractional loss of power that can cause the HIDs to go out, leaving you without any headlights, or causes them to flicker.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_bristol83 View Post
    If it doesnt go off, then you already have a relay if i understand it correctly.
    The whole idea of the relay is to make sure the dipped doesnt keep switching off as not a good thing for them to keep flicking off/on

Sounds like you already have relay matey

Rides
    Cheers guys for the advice, fitted them today and thankfully the car must already have a rely as suggested (good call mike) as they dont go out when going to main beam or flashing.

Brought the kit from Apex, the differents is amazing.

Thanks,

Matt

Rides
    quick question if I can, just got my HID kit today, comes with the ballast box and lights, 3 connectors from bulb to ballast box, but there are two other spade connectors that come off the bulb??

One obviously is for the power (Im assuming thats the red one) but there is another black one there as well? do I need to wire up an earth for that or am I missing something?

thanks

Rides
    Lol! just realised that the H1 harness has a pos and neg anyway, d'oh, didnt actually get a look at the car before I asked the question.

Rides
    fitted mine last night and by golly they are sexy! the difference is actually ridiculous, they take a few seconds to get to full brightness but I've got energy savers in my flat so Im used to it haha!

Rides
    good luck with mot's now unless you've fitted some sort of self-leveling system it will fail unless its a dodgy mot station

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by fordy View Post
    good luck with mot's now unless you've fitted some sort of self-leveling system it will fail unless its a dodgy mot station
    Is this 100% the rule now then? I knew it was on the cards

Shame really as in the 14a at least they work really well and aren't dangerous imo.
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    as I was saying to another mate of mine, I would be suprised if the car is still on the road by the time the mot is up (10 months time) its got 210,000 miles original engine/turbo along with mostly original other parts