Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying/Selling Parts Issue, you opinion please?

Rides

Buying/Selling Parts Issue, you opinion please?

Hi all.

Now, when I sell parts to other forum users, I front up on the post with what the postage charge will be and what service I use. I make my recommendation and let them make their choice, but push them heavily towards a postage service that has adequate cover for whats being sent. 99 times out or 100, they go with Special Delivery or Courier (small parts under £30 go First Class Recorded), but never do I use anything that isn't signed for.

So, imagine my frustration at buying something from an SXOC user, for £350, which just over 2 weeks later hasn't arrived. I now find that he sent it normal first class. No, he didn't even pay the extra 85 pence or whatever it is to be recorded.

In my eyes, this is an absolute pisstake, what do you think?

He is saying that it is up to the buyer to request sending by a better service? But surely it's a no brainer that if you advertise something at a 'posted' price, that price will be using a service that is sufficient for whats being sent.

I've just mailed the seller to see if/how he plans to resolve this, so no plans to name him publically yet. I just wanted to see what you guys think, am I being unreasonable?

Rides
    anything of high value should be recorded at the very least/sent next day or sent recorded fully insured. i just sent 145-00 worth of stuff to an s15oc member and paid the 21-00 postage because thats what i'd advertised it at, 145 posted factoring in its weight and my own estimate of cost. for something valued at 350-00 the fact that it should be sent recorded or fully insured goes without saying mate...

Rides
    I was pretty pissed off to come home the other day and find a power fc on my doorstep that had been sent first class, and in the box of a some DIY tool thing that someone could have nicked as a christmas present. Its even worse considering the shoddy state of the postal system these days.

I paid £10 extra for delivery and got £4s worth of postage.

I guess it was just a good job I got home just before the schoolkids walked past

When I've sold stuff I always send it recorded delivery as a minimum unless they want to pay a few quid more for special delivery.

Rides
    I post things properly for the protection of us both. There can be no arguments then. I've built up a trusted reputation on forums where I've bought and sold stuff and am bracing myself for a rough-ride over this one.

Rides
    i thought that the idea of recorded delivery was to protect the sender more than anything, thats why i always send recorded, that way i know its turned up and the buyer cant scam me. as a person recieving the goods i dont care how its sent normally as long as it turns up safe and in good time, but its when it doesnt turn up and wasnt sent recorded that the sender has left themselves wide open.....

Rides
    At the end of the day its the sellers responsibility for the item until its in your hands. If it goes astray then they have to replace or refund.

Self confessed player of the pink oboe docwra's Avatar
    Rides
    Id agree, stuff worth monies should be sent at least recorded. I remember sending a diff up to Kev a while back, that went walkies - fortunately as it was sent recorded we could:

a) Track it and know that it had disappeared
    b) Let the post office know where it had disappeared
    c) Claim on the insurance when it disappeared
    d) Make sure it got to the right place when they found it again

The only thing I kick myself about was that I didnt take out "extended cover". A brand new diff from Mr Nissan was £1200 IIRC
    Quote Originally Posted by scimmy ben
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

Rides
    I always send anything even vaguely important or valuable as recorded or courier and always make sure it's insured to the correct value, I do this mainly for my protection

Rides
    I'm glad that its not me being an arse. My only regret is that I paid in a way that doesn't protect me, my stupid fault, but hey, we'll see if he comes good. Maybe he will and I won't have to resort to internet detective methods (which I am awesome at) to recover my money.

Rides
    should have some cover for something worth a few hundred yeah!

Rides
    Well, he's read my PM, so thats two without reply now. One more, then I'll be assuming that I'm being ignored.

5 minutes of detective work has already yielded his full name, and most of his address. I have more than that too......

Rides
    Hi mate, I have nothing to hide. I was waiting till I got home to reply and you only pm'd me an. Hour or two ago and the previous pm didn't really require a reply.
    I'm not a scammer and have sold parts to many members of many forums with plenty of happy people.
    You didn't ask me to send it recorded otherwise I would have, I thought I'd take a risk and now regret it!
    Anyway I'll send a PM shortly.
    Cheers.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by AdDaMan View Post
    Hi mate, I have nothing to hide. I was waiting till I got home to reply and you only pm'd me an. Hour or two ago and the previous pm didn't really require a reply.
    I'm not a scammer and have sold parts to many members of many forums with plenty of happy people.
    You didn't ask me to send it recorded otherwise I would have, I thought I'd take a risk and now regret it!
    Anyway I'll send a PM shortly.
    Cheers.
    Adam, I said I wasn't going to name you, this was a hypothetical thread as I had been discussing a similar scenario with someone else today (not this one) and was genuinely shocked that people do it.

I feel like shit over it to be honest and I really mean that. It's the sort of situation that I never want to be mixed up in.

Seriously now boys/girls, if you're selling parts, ask about trackable services, they aren't that expensve. Special Delivery is insured by default for up to £500 and for under 2kg, it's the best delivery service available IMO, for that weight, it would be sub £8.00. Even First Class Recorded, OK, its only insured for 10x stamp value (£35 odd), but at least confirmation of receipt can be made.

I'll get a mod to delete this thread once its sorted.

Rides
    If he "sent" it first class, then he has no proof of postage, therefore the resposibility lies with the "sender" as techically there is no proof he has even "sent" it - Just raise a case with small claims, you'll get your money back and time.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by AdDaMan View Post
    I thought I'd take a risk.
    Admission of liability.

Rides
    Sending anything of value, even £50 first class is lunacy. Everything merchandise wise except the stickers and TDH's goes recorded delivery, even a £5 beanie Royal mail dont need any excuses to loose you parcel

You can probably buy it back from ebay though
    Quote Originally Posted by silverzx View Post
    I like Mark, he seems fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_n_slide View Post
    Mark is right.

Rides
    Thanks for your opinions guys.

Adam is in a difficult position, with which I sympathise. However, my position is even more difficult as I have potentially lost all of my money and I wasn't the one taking the risk! Or so I thought! I have had a PM from him, but we are still not at a solution, but we will see what the next few days bring.

Mark, maybe its worth locking this?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Sending anything of value, even £50 first class is lunacy. Everything merchandise wise except the stickers and TDH's goes recorded delivery, even a £5 beanie Royal mail dont need any excuses to loose you parcel

You can probably buy it back from ebay though
    I posted back some DVDs to Lovefilm which went walkies. Apparently the temp workers they had in were less than honest, even letters to the Queen were being nicked.

The onus here is on the sender to prove he posted it. It's a tough lesson to learn, but unless the goods being posted are of a value you are willing to lose you should use insured services. Take the risk if you can happily afford to lose £350 but it's the senders risk and the senders loss if it goes wrong.

Rides
    I was under the impression the main advantage of recorded was that it gave you proof of postage.
    On the insurance side of things, AFAIK it's only good for something really, really daft, like £32 of documents, or something equally random?

Rides
    £39 for recorded, £50 for Special 9am and £500 for Special next day. Recorded does prove that it was in fact posted and makes it more likely to be found so the £39 compensation only comes into play if they can't find it using the tracking system.