Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: project 180sx

Rides
    hello alan great to see some news on your build when you talked about your overheating because of the freddy inlet, what do you mean exactly like what pipe etc etc, im just curious as mine hasnt overheated but it does run fecking hot i wondered if it was related etc etc

thanks Mike

Rides
    it was two specific problems with the freddy inlet - a leak around the press fit stub pipe to the radiator - it wasn't sealed and weeped very slowly, eventually caused an airlock in the top hose and then .. and overheat.

then when I took it off one of the bolts was rusty - turns out there was some porous aluminium in one point as well.

I wouldn't buy another, not with the japanese yen at the price it is at the moment, the copies aren't worth it.

the GReddy ones can't fail around the radiator outlet in the same way as they're threaded and sealed, rather than relying on a press fit for a water tight seal.

I've got to say, mine runs fairly hot - I will have to install an air to air oil cooler at some point but for around the normal roads, it's OK.
    white '94 s13 200sx scrapped - mapped to 1.45bar. OS giken box, garrett GT2876R, 950cc injectors, ORC twin plate, nistune. 349bhp/325lbft @ 1.3bar CA18DET
    white '96 s13 180sx - type g with more kouki bits - RB25DET, GTR steel twin turbo conversion, RB26 crank & rods. 2.6L VVT twin turbo, SR20 OSG box, OSG STR twin plate clutch, Z32 ECU w/ nistune.

current status: 180 a bit broken but to be repaired.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by alanjuggler View Post
    eh, not sure if I'm slow or you're a massive car whore
    Bit of both!

Rides
    yeah on roads mine is fine and the fans are controlled by the z32 ecu so they come on if its getting quite hot, even at the ring it did fine, it just runs hot id like to get it running a bit cooler too if im honest

Rides
    update .. it mostly just .. works

I've just been driving it(!) to put some serious miles on it to properly run it in - I'm now using boost rather more, even with 0.5bar of boost, the twin turbo setup pulls well - my arse dyno says it currently feels around 280-300hp but with really, really nice responsive pickup at the low end.

I think with full boost and the S15 injectors I have planned for it, a responsive 370-400hp isn't beyond the realms of possibility.

I've got some more refinement of the cooling system to do - after some blats on a motorway, the water is getting too close to 110C for comfort (measured in the top hose). cruising it's around 100C once it's heatsoaked.

oil temp (measured at the filter housing) is around 90-95C when the water is at 100C, the oil reaches 100C when the water is getting close to 110C.

before you start really giving it some beans, it'll happily tootle around at 90C (water) continually, suggesting the heatsoak seems to be the major issue.

the things I'm going to try:

two aluminium plates riveted to the sides of the radiator to close the gaps up on each side.
    seal the back of the kouki indicator holders - right now, they're up against the intercooler but as they're slatted, they let air get into the wheel arch liners rather than pushing it through the IC and then to the rad.
    upper cooling panel to stop air flowing over the top.

I've already got the OEM undertray on at the bottom.

potentially a nismo thermostat, though I don't fancy this much, I don't want to overcool it.

if anyone has any suggestions, they're welcome to chime in.

my speedo is now fixed too, courtesy of Dom over at picbits.co.uk, one of his boxes is sorting my RPM out too

oh and final point - measured the fuel consumption last night.. mixed driving, involving the motorway blats mentioned above, some cruising, around town - fairly mixed use ... 26mpg (!)

I'm rather pleased with that.
    white '94 s13 200sx scrapped - mapped to 1.45bar. OS giken box, garrett GT2876R, 950cc injectors, ORC twin plate, nistune. 349bhp/325lbft @ 1.3bar CA18DET
    white '96 s13 180sx - type g with more kouki bits - RB25DET, GTR steel twin turbo conversion, RB26 crank & rods. 2.6L VVT twin turbo, SR20 OSG box, OSG STR twin plate clutch, Z32 ECU w/ nistune.

Rides
    Good to hear Alan. I'll come down when I get chance.

Rides
    right. long bump on this one.

the 180 still lives, though it's looking a little sorry for itself. I'll get some current pics soon.

I crashed this in 2016 and due to life taking over and agreeing to fix a friend's AW11 MR2 that was mostly made of branflakes, I've been pre-occupied with that for the last .. 3 years.

That's about to be finished though so I'm starting to get things together to fix this - I crashed it on the motorway in 2016, not too badly, low speed and crumped the front passenger side corner. I've already got all the metal work I need to be able to fix it, so it's welding mostly to sort out.

If anyone has any arch liners for an S13 - please let me know, it's about the only difficult thing I've got left to find

Rides
    Holeeeeee shit! Almost forgotten about this its been so long.

Rides
    Bollocks, just realised the old webspace I used has been turned off. Will get the pics re-uploaded and re-tagged.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by MEL View Post
    Holeeeeee shit! Almost forgotten about this its been so long.
    It’s still a classic.

Rides

it's been a looong time coming. it's only in electrox for now but the slam panel, upper, lower and front passenger side are all welded in now, I have to flap back some welds but ran out of time that day. it's lined up and all square. the panel gaps look reasonable. still some fettling to do.

The RB has had some minor modifications before it goes back in - new water pipe for under the plenum made, removed the oil/water heat exchanger. it'll have a lick of paint before it goes in and some new plugs. There's no other modifications planned at the mo.

It needs some chassis work doing, since it's been sat for 3 years (I've been working on a mate's MK1 MR2 for that time that needed '4 patches of welding for an MOT') in that time, life has been turned upside down but all coming together now

Rides
    PS, if anyone knows a decent serious wheel repairer in the north west, let me know.

I really, really want to keep the Nismo LM-GT2s but one definitely needs welding.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris C View Post
    It’s still a classic.
    You were part of making it happen, definitely wouldn't be as good as it is without you helping

Rides
    There's px wheels near Blackpool but that's quite far for you. If they can't repair something then they send it to a company closer to you. I don't know who that company is but you could give px a ring and they might tell you.

Rides
    right. update! If the pics don't work, let me know.

you'll see it move in the pics - due to some painting that was happening on the house, had to move it up and down like a horse and carriage - just bolted up a spare cross member and moved it with a trolley jack undernear it, really safe and reliable

so after watching the rusty residue coming down the front of the scuttle (you can see it in the previous post) - for a while, decided it was time to do something about it..

this is definitely NOT a Petrol level rebuild - my primary focus here is to get it back on the road - it's been too long. I use Jenolite rust remover to treat those kind of surfaces, have had good success with that coated with electrox. Not much of a fan of Hydrate80.

There's been a lot of purchasing things with Nengun and Amayama, so once more things start getting bolted up, I'll reveal some of the exciting bits I've been buying. (it's nothing that exciting )

Rides
    more updates..

front half of the car is broadly in a good state now, yesterday pulled the rear subframe off, my 2010 refurb seems to have held up pretty well. it doesn't look far off from when I left it - though there's some surface rust built up in a few places since it's been stood. Sills have held up well after being flooded with Dynax (and never refreshed!) - so happy with that, sticks with the Petrol (and shared by me ) theory that the S13 sills rust from the inside out.

my Elgrand has had it's TLC so it's all focused on the 180 for the time being, the ECU and fuel pump are running, all the old fuel drained out, replaced the fuel pump.
    Last edited by alanjuggler; 28-03-2021 at 09:58.

Rides
    oh and it's had a bit of an upgrade, I've pushed the intake piping to 76mm all the way through til it steps down to the RB25DET throttle.

The engine bay needs it's finishing touches, cam covers painted, positive terminal case doing, finding some other bits I seem to have lost, modifying my breather tank for it's slightly new position, bits like that.

a friend offered to blast my headlight frames (thanks Mark - I know they were a pain ) so they're now in paint and waiting to be bolted on.

oh and I will tidy / shorten the injector wiring at some point, don't judge me
    Last edited by alanjuggler; 28-03-2021 at 10:06.

Rides
    Cor you made some quick progress over that in the recent update. Glad to see you're back to plugging away on it, and it might not be a Petrol level refurb but it's still doing the car justice. Nice work Alan!

Rides
    cheers dude - next on the list - rust prep at the back - I have invested in a milwaukee die grinder and a load of roloc discs, I'm hoping they make shorter work of it than a wire wheel

it's not really that bad to be honest, it's held up well, all being well, I'll be doing it in another 10 years time

Rides
    Not been on this forum for ages but glad to see your making progress. It's looking great
    S13's are rare now and its awesome to see another one being kept alive.
    Pete

SXOC Member Number : 317