Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: project 180sx

Rides
    right, so, wasn't really happy with the standard RB26 cast elbows - they're a worse design than the standard S13 elbow by a long stretch - they very badly block wastegate flow.

didn't fancy the twin tube chinese ones on ebay purely due to the lack of provision for attaching the standard heatshields..

found some R34 OEM steel ones on ebay and got them for very good money.. £59 incl. delivery

they're still not perfect for flow but a good compromise between space/heat/flow/price and should be pretty robust.
    white '94 s13 200sx scrapped - mapped to 1.45bar. OS giken box, garrett GT2876R, 950cc injectors, ORC twin plate, nistune. 349bhp/325lbft @ 1.3bar CA18DET
    white '96 s13 180sx - type g with more kouki bits - RB25DET, GTR steel twin turbo conversion, RB26 crank & rods. 2.6L VVT twin turbo, SR20 OSG box, OSG STR twin plate clutch, Z32 ECU w/ nistune.

current status: 180 a bit broken but to be repaired.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by alanjuggler View Post
    well, just found out that earls performance parts in the UK have what I want - the metric o-ring fitment thing for the rack itself (which is the only problematic thing, the rest pirtek can make up)

so will be ordering one of those and then taking it down to pirtek to get the rest made up - I really don't trust myself making hoses up to seal at 1000psi of pressure, so will get pirtek to crimp them properly.
    have you asked Pirtek if they have the right stuff? the local place to me (hydrafit) has all the bits i need to make up the PAS piping, im not sure if ill leave the existing hard lines and tie into them with braided/rubber or just replace the lot for peace of mind.

also i might have a ful set of PS hardlines off my spare s13 front subframe your welcome to have if there of any use

Rides
    cheers for the offer chap If I struggle sorting it out my end, I'll give you a shout

pirtek should have the right stuff, they stock JIC connectors (not quite AN, but for my uses, interchangeable - I'm not in a plane, after all) and have pipework with burst pressures well over PAS will see.

finally, my aluminium sheet for baffling the 'twin turbo' pipe has arrived along with the heater matrix lines from an R33 from 'driftbitz' for a good price
    white '94 s13 200sx scrapped - mapped to 1.45bar. OS giken box, garrett GT2876R, 950cc injectors, ORC twin plate, nistune. 349bhp/325lbft @ 1.3bar CA18DET
    white '96 s13 180sx - type g with more kouki bits - RB25DET, GTR steel twin turbo conversion, RB26 crank & rods. 2.6L VVT twin turbo, SR20 OSG box, OSG STR twin plate clutch, Z32 ECU w/ nistune.

Rides
    wow,this project is really coming along Alan cracking work there bud

Rides
    cheers chap. it's taking longer than planned but will be a more complete car when finished

small update, R34 elbows turned up - look pretty good, much better than the standard cast ones.

finished fixing the shit 5 wire converter install (twisted wires, tape, no solder mixed with solder, no tape ) all re-done with heatshrink now.

dashboard is back in, along with the seats, the 0gauge I used for relocating my battery is now installed, so interior is getting close to finished. sprayed dynax in the usual points where S13s rust from the inside out - the inner sill>floorpan join and the rear arch > floor pan join.

along with the injected wax in the cavities, I've done all I can to halt the rust.

Rides
    That short shifter coupled to the os giken box feels awesome mate, like a machine

Rides
    we'll see how it is to drive - feels pretty good on a driveway anyway

right, some more stuff has been done & ordered. waiting on a second AFM, a magic box of tricks to be explained later, finally bolted up the turbos with gaskets, block side of the feeds confirmed. gearbox mount welded, prop needs to be shortened by ~45mm (have to confirm this, this is how far the gearbox mount has moved back).

most of the progress has just been figuring things out - doing this as a frankenstein build has complicated things along with me forgetting stuff along the way given how long I've been doing it

some pics.

figuring out my todo list took a fair amount of time as well

Rides
    stuff and things have happened!

ordered a PAS line from rawbrokerage (cheers paulpen for leading me onto that), given the reports of the aftermarket PAS lines failing I've seen occasionally, I've figured theirs done properly should be a better solution for the extra £20 or so.

ordered loads of little bits which have now gone together. the water return lines have been switched back to original style hard lines - it's too acute a bend to get braided lines to sit nicely - got them off ebay, there's a taiwanese seller doing them - can't fault the quality at all

coolant lines are now finished, thanks to KrisC getting me the final part I was missing

IC piping is now nearly finished, only thing remaining is to weld on the idle bypass takeoff on the cold side.

things to do:

intercooler piping (last part remaining, weld on idle bypass takeoff)
    trim bumper support to suit intercooler
    get & fit starter
    install front pipe
    install turbo drains
    make bracket for filters
    AFM - switch over to Z32 AFM plug
    final install of plenum & injectors
    fit clutch master & slave
    strip out lambda wiring from another loom for 2nd lambda.
    install abs
    rear ARB
    front ARB (need spacer blocks machining)
    adapt exhaust
    front shock bearings
    paint under wings
    dynax all box sections (again)
    install front bumper
    get shorter propshaft

so yeah, not much at all

here's some progress shots.

Rides
    oh and importantly, the bonnet closes, nothing cut out at all.

that's the R33 GTST crossmember using standard mounts.

Rides
    Looks OEM, really tidy work you're doing

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by lbulloc2 View Post
    Looks OEM, really tidy work you're doing
    s'not quite that good but I am trying to be as tidy as I can

just had word that parcelforce have tried to deliver my PAS hose, so that's another piece of the puzzle sorted

can't fault rawbrokerage at all - great service from them.

edit:

picked the hose up - can't fault it, really good quality, quick delivery - I wouldn't hesitate to use the chaps again - firm recommendation from me
    Last edited by alanjuggler; 22-11-2011 at 10:51.

Rides
    after some faff, the oil pump is now fully primed and there's oil around the engine. early compression results (i figured while I was turning it over, I may as well see if the compression was decent) are ~12bar. (probably from the oil I put in the bores a while ago, but a good sign).

the horns don't work.

the electrical aerial does.

my 700CCA battery from my diesel laguna didn't like turning it over, seemed to struggle once all the plugs were in. not sure the 540CCA battery I was planning to use will be man enough (though oddly, this is the original battery spec for the skyline).

Rides
    This is a beautiful build! Is mascrat still going btw? Might have to make it 3 Kouki's

Rides
    mascrat still happens not been for ages though - there is an SXOC only meet in Bolton at the Cock Inn but might be a bit of a trek for you.

Rides
    mascrat still happens not been for ages though - there is an SXOC only meet in Bolton at the Cock Inn but might be a bit of a trek for you.
    Cock inn there's a surprise

Rides
    Ah right, sounds good Bolton's about an hour and 15 from me but I do go up that way a fair bit now JDM garage has moved to Bury.

Rides
    crazy, didn't realised they'd moved, my parents live in Bury so I'm there pretty regularly - have they moved everything up?

Rides
    crazy, didn't realised they'd moved, my parents live in Bury so I'm there pretty regularly - have they moved everything up?
    No, the warehouse where all the parts are stored, cars are broken and such is still down in Bideford but the offices and showroom is now up in Bury. It's still in the early stages but hopefully soon the showroom will be fully up and running and maybe an RC drift track too It's based in the old starworks cinema, where BM autobodies is.
    But yeah, give them a shout if you need any bits

Rides
    another set back - had to arrange order a new starter from moff's lovely moffshop due to me breaking the existing one in the quest for priming the oil pump.

might just need a better strip down than the one I did but doesn't seem positive, think I might have burnt out the motor completely - solenoid is fine, just nothing happening in the motor.

Rides
    starter replaced and turning over much faster / nicer now.

found out why the horn is guffed, 180 uses a ribbon cable to transmit power for the airbag / horn - seems to have snagged at some point and been torn. can't remember if it ever worked to be honest.

if anyone has any S14/a (i think it's the same) spiral cable thing, let me know.

don't think the other stuff is broken.
    Last edited by alanjuggler; 28-04-2012 at 16:50.