Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Astrology - buncum or future science ?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by nissangeek View Post
    astrology doesn't interfere with science.
    Hmm whilst it may not have hordes of angry followers running around pretending its the crusades or such, astrology is also quite firmly in the anti-science part of the ballpark.
    After all there is no "current" scientific phenomenon that can explain astrology. And looking at it, there is unlikely to be either. No "non-crackpot" scientific theory out there can explain even a tiny part of it.

Rides
    Adolf Hitler was a Taurus OX
    Saddam Hussein was a Taurus OX
    Maggie Thatcher is a Libra OX

Conclusion - Oxen are dangerous ?
    If you want to divide the population of the planet into (what 12...??) groups then i am sure you can always find subsets of folk to place in them that appear the same.

I am a Virgo for instance, but i am a complete tosser. This is not apparently the done thing for Virgo's so it must be bollocks.

Banned
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Sideways14a View Post

I am a Virgo for instance, but i am a complete tosser. This is not apparently the done thing for Virgo's so it must be bollocks.
    Very honest of you ! But you were born in a Cat year, and cats are a pain in the arse.

Banned
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Sideways14a View Post
    astrology is also quite firmly in the anti-science part of the ballpark.
    There's a BIG difference between something which contradicts science and simply has no current explanation (astrology). When Darwin's theory came out it was shot down by the eminent scientists of the day as rubbish. This kind of thing has happened again and again. Granted, there is no evidence for astrology which can be refuted/challenged by science.

Rides
    stuff
    Humans are pack animals ... they need to be part of a group, they need to feel part of a collective, and its in our nature to flock to these groups to feel whole. Whether these groups are football teams, religion or Astrology. From fan bois to gang members. ... this weakness in the human condition that draws us to be part of a group for safety, for strength, to rid natures buit in mechanism of fear and loneliness is the sole reason for Astrology.

There is nothing in it apart from making people feel less alone .... Oooooh I am Libra, there are lots of people like me, therefor I must be normal and part of a group.

Its nothing more than satisfying human weakness

Edit: .... and I was born 2 years earlier than sideways ... yet I am also a pain in the arse, so that doesnt quite fit !

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Or providing a scapegoat for human failure.

Oh we didn't do very well today... Oh the gods / the stars / the flying spaghetti monster must have willed it.

No they ****ing didn't take some responsibility loosers!
    Last edited by Bayside Blue; 09-11-2009 at 21:54.

JAPOKYO! cos im made of special! (Nuneaton)
    Rides
    astrology is a load of crap - FACT!
    Its gone!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Bayside Blue View Post
    Or providing a scapegoat for human failure.
    it did us well in our earlier years ... just ashame we didnt leave it behind as we evolved.

A tail would be more useful than a pack instinct .... yet we lost the tail bone and kept mass paranoia

Ah well

Rides
    There's a BIG difference between something which contradicts science and simply has no current explanation (astrology). When Darwin's theory came out it was shot down by the eminent scientists of the day as rubbish. This kind of thing has happened again and again. Granted, there is no evidence for astrology which can be refuted/challenged by science.
    You are David Icke and i claim my ten pounds

Banned
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Humans are pack animals ... they need to be part of a group, they need to feel part of a collective, and its in our nature to flock to these groups to feel whole. Whether these groups are football teams, religion or Astrology. From fan bois to gang members. ... this weakness in the human condition that draws us to be part of a group for safety, for strength, to rid natures buit in mechanism of fear and loneliness is the sole reason for Astrology.

There is nothing in it apart from making people feel less alone .... Oooooh I am Libra, there are lots of people like me, therefor I must be normal and part of a group.

Edit: .... and I was born 2 years earlier than sideways ... yet I am also a pain in the arse, so that doesnt quite fit !
    I can see what you're saying about wanting to be social wrt religion, sport etc. but I don't see how being a certain star sign makes one less lonely ? I think it satisfies more the need to understand oneself.

You are a Libra Snake then. Snakes are a good sign IMO - I get on with them. Both those sign give you good looks -are you very good looking Johnny ??
    Last edited by nissangeek; 09-11-2009 at 22:02.

Rides
    Granted, there is no evidence for astrology which can be refuted/challenged by science.
    Is there any evidence for it at all?

Banned
    Rides
    Don't think so.

Rides
    If you need star signs to understand yourself you are very deluded! Who makes the signs up? He must be very rich by now. Same with all religions, it's about controlling weak minded people who need to blame something for their own actions or problems.

Still I knew you were mad as soon as you sad M. Thatcher was bad!

this thing called science is good. We have cars, electricity, scanning electron microscopes, nuclear power stations (ten years late labour). Astrology / gods didn't contribute to them. Only man.
    Last edited by Bayside Blue; 09-11-2009 at 22:19.

Banned
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Bayside Blue View Post

Still I knew you were mad as soon as you sad M. Thatcher was bad!
    You're a Libra Ox like she is !
    Is this site full of Tories or what ?? I can't believe ppl think that witch was anything but an evil intellectual dwarf. 'There's no such thing as society' - how profound and how damaging as she tried to smash society apart (send it back a century), partly succeeded, Labour with Blair and Brown are much the same, and look at the mess we're now in !

Together we stand, divided we fall

Rides
    -are you very good looking Johnny ??
    ... errrr no

I think it can be safely said I hide behind trying to be funny to make up for that lack of looks

Nice to see the Astrology thing working though

edit: .. on the upside thou .. at least I am not fat ... or a midget .. or ginger

Banned
    Rides

Rides
    Nothing wrong with Tories what are you then? monster raving loony party or worse, green?

Rides
    This thread must be a wind up surely!?

Rides
    Adolf Hitler was a Taurus OX
    Saddam Hussein was a Taurus OX
    Maggie Thatcher is a Libra OX

Conclusion - Oxen are dangerous ?
    Im a libra OX and im a complete cnut

I think you may have a point

edit: crap im a tiger

Famous Libra Tigers - Oscar Wilde, Eisenhower, Giscard d'Estaing...

Good Compatibilities - Leo Horse...

im looking for a horse called leo
    Last edited by Stiffler; 09-11-2009 at 22:41.

Rides
    I'm a Gemini monkey that must make me a 17st 10lb Geordie with a skinhead does it?

Oh and I do agree with you on the Thatcher beinging a witch bit (sorry Bayside I guess that's just one thing we will never agree on but hey the world is better for all the opinions people bring to the discussion), I lived through her early years and saw a lot of peoples lives destroyed through her efforts in closing the pits. strange how we are now running out of gas but still have massive coal reserves and better technology to provide cleaner power from coal now isn't it? Nearsighted? Definately but then we should have noticed that in the alignment of the planets at the time

Did I manage to bring that back on track before it veared off into another political discussion?