Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tom and Jonty's track S14 build

Rides
    your car is fast becoming my favourite on the board

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by clive View Post
    i was expecting to see that front bumper fitted

see i knew i would regret selling it
    Fear not Clive! We've got a few things to do (steering rack, pedal box, seating position) and then we will start tarting the car up (as the bodywork is pretty rough despite looking good in the photos) and we hope to be sorting some proper underbody aero (CFD tested by a mate, tho he doesn't know yet) at the same time as fitting the bumper, so when you see it on the car you'll be pleased you sold it to us and we used it to create one of the fastest S bodies on the board

Jonty

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by kingj View Post
    your car is fast becoming my favourite on the board
    cheers mate, we're trying to build a fapping fast car that is relatively cheap to run. By having only a mild spec engine we hope to keep it reliable and then we can concentrate on getting the chassis working really sweetly- by hopefully dodging the rebuild costs of a big power motor that will invariably eat turbos and bearings we can spend money on getting it looking nice too... which will be a first for the pair of us as none of the car's we've had to date have been pretty to look at!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by tomo1 View Post
    Fear not Clive! We've got a few things to do (steering rack, pedal box, seating position) and then we will start tarting the car up (as the bodywork is pretty rough despite looking good in the photos) and we hope to be sorting some proper underbody aero (CFD tested by a mate, tho he doesn't know yet) at the same time as fitting the bumper, so when you see it on the car you'll be pleased you sold it to us and we used it to create one of the fastest S bodies on the board

Jonty
    i like

i just wish i had the contacts like you seem to have

epic build

Rides
    cool,like your thinking it already looks pretty thopugh dude,only thing you could do to improve it imo is some zenki sideskirts they hard to come but though

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by clive View Post
    i like

i just wish i had the contacts like you seem to have

epic build
    I'm an engineer and did 2 yrs with Merc making their F1 engines- most of my mates from there are keen on a bit of home work if I struggle on my own, and I'm currently working for the company that makes the Gocycle electric bike- both the boss and the guys who do a lot of sub contracted simulation work have motorsport experience... also Tom repairs helicopter rotor blades and so has contact with plenty of people with composites experience and general arsing around in engineering type activities... so yeah we're pretty lucky with our contacts!

Quote Originally Posted by kingj View Post
    cool,like your thinking it already looks pretty thopugh dude,only thing you could do to improve it imo is some zenki sideskirts they hard to come but though
    They're the ones that come up the side of the car at either end of the door aren't they? I'm not keen on them personally, although Tom is trying to win me over... but I have a devious plan that side steps any arguement that involves Tom, clay, sculpting skills, wide arches, and a lot of carbon fibre... it's at least a year in the future, but it's on the to-do-list

Jonty
    Last edited by tomo1; 30-03-2010 at 22:32.

Rides
    In that case I like your thinking even more

Rides
    pics of that navan bump fitted needed Tom

or if have to come steal it back

can replace it with one black Navan bumper... at least this one was a closer colour match

Rides

Getting there......

Just messing about at the weekend to get some basic shapes and attachment points for the front splitter

Currently rubbed down will be in primer along with sorting the rear arches about, damn rust.

Will be on at some point mate! I havent driven it in ages and cant wait to get it going again.

Cheers,
    Tom

Rides
    hello mate !

what kind of front brake disc are u running ? 315 mm ? 330 mm?
    nice built !

regards
    daniel

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by tomo1 View Post

Getting there......

Cheers,
    Tom
    what on earth have you attached to that bumper

although must admit.. waiting for some other shots of that splitter

Rides
    330mm disks- or 328mm? Either way they are the skyline gtr brakes. Im pretty happy with the performance for now, but may upgrade the fronts at some point, wlthough I do want to keep with 17s, so possibly 343mm may be the max I can run.

Cheers,
    Tom

Rides
    Clive,

The front splitter is really just messing around at this stage, we're working out attachment points- trying to avoid the slightly dodgy looking cables which some people run to support the front splitter.

You want the navan indicators? Ill have a think- send me a pm if you do.
    Got a JDM rear bumper?

Rides
    IŽve got wed, thurs and fri off work, Tom has Thurs and Fri, so weŽll be down the body shop fixing the rust in the rear arch and sorting out as much wear and tear as possible, so by sunday it should be sorted and weŽll have 255s fitted all round. There should be room at the rear after the hacking we do to get 275s on, but currently 255 is the biggest we can go on the R33 GTR rims, so thatŽs where weŽll stay for a while I think.

Splitter etc is all just in the process of getting mapped out under the car so we know what size envelope we have to work in, then IŽm going to get some stuff CADsturbated and through a CFD package if possible to really make sure we get some real beneficial aero sorted instead of something that just looks lairy as hell... plus we need to get back out on track again soon so we can actually drive the thing cos when it starts sprouting wings and diffusers weŽll look like a right pair of tits if we canŽt hustle it down the road at a respectable rate!!

Jonty

Rides

Parts update

Update:

Tomei manifold- got this manifold when I was in the USA last year, still havent done anything with it!

Going to get this ceramic coated, once weve tapped for the EGT probe.
    Anyone used Zircotech (sp) before?

Got the wheels and tyres fitted and refurbed as well.
    I recon they should do.

255 40 17s

Should have an update at the weekend when we get the arched sorted.
    Last edited by tomo1; 28-06-2010 at 21:41.

Rides
    If you need stuff ceramic coated, we've just had a few manifolds done. Not tested them yet though. Give us a call if you're interested - or pop in if you'd like to have a look

Rides
    Cheers Jez.

Am actually going to give you a shout to talk through the ECU side of things soon ish- looking at the Syvecs.

Which company have you used for the ceramic coating?
    cheers,
    Tom
    Last edited by tomo1; 29-06-2010 at 15:56.

Rides
    the madness has begun... transit Mk3 arches are going on to replace the rusty old ones (almost a perfect match!) ...Nathan our local body shop proprietor is happily hacking things apart as I type from his office. The plan is to cut about an inch off the arch, knock the inner wing up so it attaches higher than standard to give more clearance, then use the transit arch to form a single skin outer (instead of the two skins meeting and being rolled together) that is stretched out slightly to give clearance to get over the 255 tyres.

The plan for the future if we were to go for bigger tyres would be to get a lower offset wheel to put the front face in the same place relative to the hub (can't remember what this dimension is called). We'll maybe go for that in the future if having more contact patch and a lighter rim are the most cost effective improvements we can make, but there is plenty to do before that.

I'll try and get some pics later on today/tomorrow to show the arch grafting process.

Jonty

Rides

Bodywork update

Bodywork update:

Having got the alloys refurbed and fitted with 255s, they are now no where near the bodywork!

Also have a 15mm spacer on making the wheels et 15, the arch lips were rusted away so new metal has been cut in and the inner arch skin cut back and welded higher up.

Hopefully we shouldnt have any issues from here on in.

Navan front bumper is getting painted and both rear wings.

Clive

Hopefully have it done for the start of next week all being well.

Tom

Rides
    Great to see some more updates.

Cheers Aj