Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tom and Jonty's track S14 build

Rides
    Last edited by bigmiker; 29-11-2009 at 12:25.

Rides
    really good indepth read, and i especially like the detailed pictures and right up of the rollcage design and installation.

look foward to the next update.

Rides

Abingdon trackday update (27th Nov)

Bit of an update: written by Tom- updates so far have been by Jonty (my brother.)

We made it back in one piece! The car behaved itself and ran faultlessly throughout the day.

Got up relatively early having packed everything the night before- drove up in the rain and saw a huge crash on the A34- not a good omen.........

Arrived and got the car unloaded- a couple of mates came up in another car and helped us out which made things easier. Motorsport events ran the day smoothly and were well organized.

The previous week we had fitted an hks actuator and decided to keep the boost level to approx 0.9bar, in order to keep the EGT temps down. (On a previous trackday at Keevil we had seen 1000+ degrees C- which is not adviseable for any length of time!) Also we had made a Naca duct to feed into the airbox as well as designing and prototyping an outlet ducting for the radiator and intercooler. Unfortunately there was not enough time to complete and test this- so we had to add it to the "to do" list.

Also thanks to Jez @ H-dev for having a quick look over the car, and pointing out the slight mistake with the boost controller set up......

The circuit was wet in the morning and drying throughout the day and somehow we didn't get rained on.

I drove the first 15 min session, after the entire group had 5 laps behind the instructors. The track was very slippery and it was tricky trying to apply the throttle out of corners, I had one "moment" which was heroically saved (or rather flailed about and got lucky...) and as the track dried out the speed and confidence slowly increased.

For the morning part of the day where it was predominantly wet we stayed on the road tyres, I tend to be fairly slow at the start of the day and increase my speed, whereas Jonty tends to be faster from the start- usually we end up at a similar speed at the end.

In the afternoon we decided to go with the slicks- (on the black r33 wheels) and the increase in grip was awesome!

Great fun day and had a chat with a couple of guys in some s13s- sorry I cant remember your name, but there was something about balsa wood spec rear suspension!

Loads of other sweet cars, turbo Elise, M3 csl, super pokey Audi estate, loads of Caterhams, very quick M3 race car, Porsche gt3 RS, front wheel drive Volvo estate (giving it plenty!) VX220 turbos - which I think are awesome.

Some pics here:

http://www.richardsloman.com/events/...bingdon/page/4
    Before anyone panics- I have order the photos from Richard Sloman photography

(Edit- 2ft flames from the exhaust are fun!)
    Loads of work planned over the next few months and then hopefully go for another trackday.
    Cheers,
    Tom
    Last edited by tomo1; 29-11-2009 at 22:42.

Rides
    Glad you had fun - MSE run a good day out. How did the car feel? Must be pretty rigid with that cage.

Rides
    It was pretty awesome on the slicks- you can definitely feel the difference. Im looking at a dry sump system in the near future- but they are ( as Im sure you know) fairly pricey!

The circuit was really good- for an airfield day and airfield price tag couldnt ask for much more.
    Have you had any experence of dry sumps on the sr?

Rides
    I've not looked into dry sumps - mainly due to the price. I've got an accusump system but I've not fitted it yet. I think it should work quite well though.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jez View Post
    Glad you had fun - MSE run a good day out. How did the car feel? Must be pretty rigid with that cage.
    Yeah it's very rigid- the instructor I went out with at the end of the day commented that the car felt pretty good from his position. It's still not on a par with the 306 for handling, and especially round a sweeping left where the car tracked over a change in surface it felt very vague, but there is lots of grip and enough power to make it feel like a real race car... the job list is mainly tidying jobs for the near future, as we are definitely the limiting factor at the moment and more potential in the car is really unnecessary- that said I'm happy with how the day went seeing as it's our first proper trackday (the kevil outing was really just a shakedown as we couldn't get more than 3-4 laps out of the brakes) in two years, and I think it'll start coming back pretty quickly.

As for Tom's dry sump idea I think that's going to be a CAD job for me whilst I'm not working as an engineer to 'keep my hand in' as it's something I'm confdent I can design... but the tidying stuff needs to come first: mounting the gauges, painting the boot, door cards, rear trim panels etc

Thanks again for having a look over it at the start of the week Jez
    Jonty

Rides
    No probs Its good to see you doing things properly with more than a little thought.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmiker View Post
    really good indepth read, and i especially like the detailed pictures and right up of the rollcage design and installation.

look foward to the next update.
    cheers mike, I'm glad you like it- it's always nice to get positive feedback to help keep motivated!

Rides
    I'm loving that cage, definately something i'd like to have on my own car
    good steady progress and some quality work gone in so far well done guys

Rides
    Just read through the thread and loving it. You seem to have independantly come up with a lot of similar ideas as me, but you've actually got around to implementing them, where as mine are just still future plans.
    Did you mention what suspension you are running, i've read through the thread and don't remember seeing it anywhere.

Rides
    Its good to see someone thinking things through, nice

Rides
    This is looking very very good and like the way its going with thought being put into it properly.
    Nice job guys.

Cheers Aj

Rides
    We've got the Driftwork cs2 suspension- currently we have them on medium all round and whiteline ARBs. Not very impressed with the quality of the whiteline stuff to be honest- although I am with the driftwork suspension!

As of yet we havent messed with the settings on the dampers, as were not used to the car to be able to understand the changes we make.

Although, on the last trackday it felt like the rear end was rolling into oversteer under a steady throttle round a bend... any suggestions?

When I have my win on the lottery I'll go for the Moton dampers- they "appear" to be the next stage up from the driftworks suspension and the like- without going for full race/custom parts.

Bren- trying to do things logically. Im just not looking at your build thread again as it makes me want to re do things! But its good to be able to drive the thing after a while of building and buying stuff for it.

Rides
    There isn't a huge amount of choice as far as ARB's go, is there?
    I've got whiteline, and while i can't comment how well they compare to others in the handling department, the quality of the droplinks and bolts supplied does seem to be quite poor.
    I'm not looking to buy the suspension for mine for quite a long time and was quite interested in what 'serious' people like you, bren, jez and the likes will be using.
    I haven't heard a huge amount about Moton, do you have any info, website etc on them.

Rides
    http://www.motonsuspension.com/

Thats them- guess you could buy them from the states? I havent got any further than looking at them, a couple of guys run them in the US. doing Pikes Peak.

As for the ARBs- yeah I was meaning the quality rather than the function which is poor. I have it on my list to look at building some- possibly trying to adjust them using the blade method than changing bolt positions as they do as standard.

Rides
    Im going to get some custom roll bars made for our S14, as you say, blade like so we can make them in car adjustable.

Im happy to help you out with some multi adjustable suspension in return for your feedback.

Rides
    Time for an update:

Weve just come back from a trackday at Colerne airfield near Bath, windy and cold- but dry for most of the day.

Ill back track a little- changes fom the last track day:

Biggest change was the gearbox, we got hold of a Nismo close ratio gearbox, Toda s15 flywheel and Nismo s15 clutch. The difference is night and day for the gearing/ turbo response and performance. Very happy with it! Even as a bolt on part it still took us a good day and a half to get the old box off, change the flywheel, bleed the clutch, swap the prop and get the new one back on.
    Pics are basically an s15 gearbox casing- no photos as they are not very exciting!

Fitted an apex braided clutch hose at the same time, clutch response is good, more of a stock feel, although it is pretty noisy at certain rpm, which is doen to the clutch design, sounds like a bike dry clutch at certain speeds to me. Nismo even write on there documentation that it will be noisy, - its liveable tho.

Had to get a gearknob from somewhere, so decided to get my own made, only cost a tenner in aluminium, it either looks like a rocket/shell/projectile type thing, or a dildo- depending on your view... I will get it tapered more to loose some of the weight from the lower half and make it look better. Gearbox has a reletively long shift now- means you dont miss many gears..... I wouldnt mind sorting a short shift at some point for it, but not a priority at the moment.

Other updates have been fitting a set of Ao48s to the black gtr33 wheels we did have slicks on, the slicks were awesome, mega grippy but once you got past the grip point they snapped very easily (at least thats my excuse!) The ao48s are a hell of a lot more progressive, but without the ultimate grip level- a more forgiveable tyre when youre learning the car.

Trying to fit a rear spacer to give et 15 on the gtr wheel- just for looks, as the front with a spacer sticks out more, and soesnt look right!- recon it will go?!

Other stuff has been mainly tidying-
    A friend came over to make up a wiring loom for the gauges, we have three gauges: egt/lambda, oil pressure/ temp, and water temp/ fuel pressure.

Making looms takes ages, helps when you have the right kit- Rachem (sp) heat gun and shielded terminals, name tags on all wiring- and good crimps/wire strippers. Isnt everything easier when you have the right tools! Also makes it easier when my mate works in electronics on military kit.....

The man at work:

Other stuff in the pipeline are sorting the front bumper, we have a Navan bumper for it (cheers Clive) which is a bit deeper, and certainly better looking- in a standard Nissan kind of way. The front bumper has some shocking lacquer peel from a crap paint job in the past.

Stuff coming up:

Fitting h+r spacers on rear wheels, making carbon trim panels, fitting front bumper/ducting, roll cage padding.

Longer term stuff- fitting manual steering rack, pedal box- once they are in the roll cage can be finished off linking the front strut towers into the certre of the dash bar- loads more front end stiffness and hopefully grip and feel.

Any advice on fitting longer wheelstuds into the gtr skyline rear brakes is appreciated!
    Cheers,
    Tom
    Last edited by tomo1; 30-03-2010 at 21:38.

Rides
    Couple more pics of the ao48s

Cheers,
    Tom

Rides
    i was expecting to see that front bumper fitted

see i knew i would regret selling it