Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Tom and Jonty's track S14 build

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by tomo1 View Post
    MOT passed- let the project continue!

Shout about aero bits when you're ready Would love to help out!

Rides
    Sure-will do, I'm just starting on some blanking plates for the front bumper- so as soon as we are anywhere meaningful will get in contact.

Cheers,
    Tom

Rides
    Also- can anyone recommend a good decat pipe? Think the one that was on the car was mild steel and surprise surprise the flanges are rusted and not flat.....

Im after a quality one- fully stainless which doesnt weigh a tonne, the one we have has really think flanges- look about 15mm to me! Any makes I can look at?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by zeppelin101 View Post

Shout about aero bits when you're ready Would love to help out!
    I've got a new desktop PC on it's way for the end of the week, so I'll give you a short then to get the CAD/CFD software sorted so we can make a start... we've got to get a laser scan of the car as well, which to say it will be a challenge is a bit of an understatement! In fact, thinking of that I should really get my arse in gear and get the kit sorted for that asap as that'll be our first hold up for getting relevant analysis going, although I do have an S15 model we can work from to start with to get familiar with the tools

Jonty

Rides
    Hello,

This is a long over due update to our project, last update was many years ago!

Last trackday was at Bedford autodrome in November 2014, close to Bedford/St Neots where both me and my brother are now living. For an airfield it’s a really good track and challenging, certainly in GT format.

Prior to this trackday we had Jez at H dev fit and map a Syvecs ECU- So boost control/Traction control /limit cuts and data logging functions.

From what I can remember the trackday involved lots of skidding on cold tyres in the damp conditions and giving the traction control a proper work out. A couple of big spins (from me) was a reminder that more driving and less parking in the workshop was required.

So with that in mind, we've been hiding in the workshop.....one of the jobs we’ve completed recently:

Carbon Door cards

Let us know what you think
    Cheers
    Tom
    Last edited by tomo1; 09-12-2016 at 22:06.

Rides
    Just read through this. What a great project thread , me and my brother have been discussing buying a car together would you recommend it? Really love the door cards try not to leave the updates so long a few years between updates is exsessive lol

Rides
    Hi Chris, thanks for the nice comments! We've got a few other things on the go, so should be updating again soon! The door cards were a lot of work, and by "a lot of work" I mean weeks if not months of spare time put in to learn how to do the composite stuff, the pattern part and moulds are a particular pain in the ass! Making the door cards themselves a bit of a candy job... They are made from prepreg carbon with a structural foam core and another layer of carbon inside. All in they are 1.7kg each, and most importantly, they fit around the roll cage!

Getting the car together is really cool, it's something that helps keep us close, and of course the money is halved to get the same spec of car on the track. Plus I always enjoy sharing the track driving, and rarely go out without a passenger as it's much more fun to enjoy the skids and slides together. I'd definitely recommend getting a car together, we love it!
    Last edited by tomo1; 11-12-2016 at 20:11.

Rides
    Nice build, the cage looks great!

I'm also building a S14 track car ready for 2017 trackdays. There are quite a few track/grip s14's popping up these days.

Rides
    Cheers crispy! You're not a million miles away, it'd be good to get on track with some other s14s.. Bedford autodrome is only 15 mins for us, we'll post updates of when we are heading out next.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Rides
    That is great to hear somebody making bits of car with a proper foam sandwich, and not just using a bunch of CSM Fibreglass for the thickness! It seems like it'd be a great way to create a bonnet...

Rides
    Oh yeah, we've done that too!

We did that as a vac bagged wet lay, but still using the foam core. It could be lighter and we could have built it stiffer with what we know now, but it's a good start point. It weighs 7kg, so probably about half a carbon skinned CSM bonnet? We painted it but couldn't get a good match, so it's now carbon vinyl wrapped.

Currently we're working on a flat floor (have made ver1 full sized splitter from foam and fibreglass) and have a foam blank for a rear wing. We also need to share about our prepreg inlet system!

Are some work-in-progress pics of any interest for the door cards and inlet system?

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Rides
    Hi guys, thought I'd throw some images up of some of the other carbon bits we've been working on... after a fight with Google Photos I've finally managed to get them visible!

Here is the airbox we've made:

Since we're on the syvecs we don't run a MAF so it just runs filter-->hose-->turbo, so nice and simple. The snorkel breaths out the hole in the side of the wing and picks up on the 2 part duct:

upper part:

and lower that attaches to the Navan bumper:

and here is the finished assembly with the S2000 OEM filter that we use installed:

Rides
    I've just re-read the first post and seen we have owned this car for about 15 years now. Lots had changed so thought I should get back on here.

Anyway, here are some photos of it currently, some as you'll see on Instagram, some I've not yet posted elsewhere. I've just joined the Facebook group and we're on Instagram as Wingfield_brothers in case you'd like to check us out.

Jonty

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk