Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Christine - Apexs V8 Skyline drift car - 2nd overall EDC 2008

Rides
    Yeah its been blasted. We just gave it to a company to sort as they only charged £150. Wasnt worth doing it ourselves for that sort of money

The right hand drive tubular headers are just being finished off ready for dispatch so we arent quiet there yet

Rides
    Crikey mate, that's going to be an impressive build up. Makes me wonder if I should go all the way and take it up from scratch, but that'd cost me this year in terms of driving.

I take it you're going to follow a similar kind of plan to the '14 and integrate your cage, paint it as one etc etc?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by bren View Post
    Yeah its been blasted. We just gave it to a company to sort as they only charged £150. Wasnt worth doing it ourselves for that sort of money

The right hand drive tubular headers are just being finished off ready for dispatch so we arent quiet there yet
    I already had the tools so thought I would give it a go, I did the subframe and everything. Worked a treat but made a mess of the garage! £150 is a bargain.

Okay, I have a real love hate relationship with my car at the moment and putting a V8 in it might make me fall back in love with it Will be interested in knowing the final costings when ready.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by piman2k View Post
    Crikey mate, that's going to be an impressive build up. Makes me wonder if I should go all the way and take it up from scratch, but that'd cost me this year in terms of driving.

I take it you're going to follow a similar kind of plan to the '14 and integrate your cage, paint it as one etc etc?
    We are working to a budget (hahahahahahha ) and time constraints so we arent going all out with fully seam welding and installing custom weld in cage. I just want a very high quality finished product hence stripping it right back. We can then put it back together properly.

The cage will therefore remain bolt in.

At the moment the plan is to keep the car as simple as possible so with the wiring there will be no lights bar brake lights, no washer jets, no fans (got heated screens on order), no central locking, nothing. Just ignition switch, starter button, very little else.

Big engine, stupid power, minimal weight. Thats it. Absolutely bare bones but what is there will be done properly, not thrown together

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudy View Post
    I already had the tools so thought I would give it a go, I did the subframe and everything. Worked a treat but made a mess of the garage! £150 is a bargain.

Okay, I have a real love hate relationship with my car at the moment and putting a V8 in it might make me fall back in love with it Will be interested in knowing the final costings when ready.
    Have you been in mine or Kens? You should try one. Or not if you dont want to endup spending stupid money
    Last edited by bren; 21-01-2010 at 15:01.

Rides
    Have you been in mine or Kens? You should try one. Or not if you dont want to endup spending stupid money :Wack:
    I haven't no, want to though. Ken is only round the corner so should really arrange something. I've already spent stupid money on the car over the last 6 years

Rides
    Kens might just scare you into not doing it!

Rides
    We are working to a budget (hahahahahahha ) and time constraints so we arent going all out with fully seam welding and installing custom weld in cage. I just want a very high quality finished product hence stripping it right back. We can then put it back together properly.

The cage will therefore remain bolt in.

At the moment the plan is to keep the car as simple as possible so with the wiring there will be no lights bar brake lights, no washer jets, no fans (got heated screens on order), no central locking, nothing. Just ignition switch, starter button, very little else.

Big engine, stupid power, minimal weight. Thats it. Absolutely bare bones but what is there will be done properly, not thrown together
    That's fair enough mate, I can completely understand. It certainly sounds like it's going to kick freakin' ass as a bare knuckle ride, I'm really looking forward to 2010's Apex cars.

I'm at a junction of what to do with mine at the moment so I wonder if you might spare me a few minutes one day for a chat regarding your S body. Maybe in PM or email?

Rides
    It will be pretty wild, as sophisticated as a brick Im debating what to do witht he S14 V8, Im tempted just to use and enjoy it. If I start tuning it then guarenteed theres going to be teething issues. I might just enjoy it for a year

Feel free to fire over pms and/or emails at any time

Rides
    you do go the extra mile when you build a car or 3, it is 3 or are you planning a 4th, you ever thought of funding just 1 and getting a villa in tenerife with what you would save instead

Rides
    Just three:

S14 V8 daily driver
    Skyline EDC promo whore
    S14a Tomei - just too godamm stubbon to not finish it!

The Skylines being backed to an extent so Im not fully funding it, thank fcuk. We also have a superb exposure opportunity for 2010 and it would be daft not to take advantage of it. That being a perfect excuse to build a 600bhp engine attached to four wheels and a seat has nothing to do with it

I need a car to run around in and the V8 S14 is a hell of a lot more fun than a Mondeo and it will earn its keep to some extent as a demo car.

The Tomei S14...well....thats just a little nuts. Pretty pointless in all regards really but Im still going to finish the bloody thing!

Rides
    Is that why i didn't see the tomei engine in the office the other day?

Rides
    Engines been in the S14 Tomei for some time now

http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=267612&page=24

Rides
    Spent Thursday and Friday down at Garys at AP Tuning with Mike and Tim this week.

The plan was to work out the best rear arrangement to allow us to run an R33 GTR driveshaft set up with Nismo 2 way LSD. We went down armed with piles of bits. This is some of the jigsaw puzzle we had to work with. The missing link spoiling the shot is Mike.

After some trial and error we ended up with a GTR case, Nismo 2 way diff, GTR output shafts, GTR driveshafts, GTR bearing carriers and hubs, GTST subframe and GTST knuckles. I want to run the R33 GTR driveshafts because although the Apex 600bhp shafts held up to the Skylines power without issue the standard Nissan ends just couldnt cope with the torque and would wear over time meaning periodic stripping and rebuilding. The GTR shafts should be fit and forget.

Once we knew what we were fitting we could start the assembly. First thing was to fit Apex aluminiun solid main subframe bushes and Apex aluminium solid rear diff support bushes. I had to grind back all the powdercoat first. This was done with a drill and flappy wheel:

We then legged it round to Als next door to borrow their press and install the bushes. Gary and Mike were fitting the final bush in this pic:

All done:

A trial build was then done to ensure the GTR driveshaft lengths were correct for the set up we wanted to go for. The subframe was built up with Apex S14 rose camber arms, traction arms and race lower arms along with rear Hicas lockout bar. The lockout bar was fitted with new toe arms asd a recaution. The knuckles have already been fitted with poly bushes but we will also replace the rear toe arm ball joints, again as a precaution.

Now that we know everything fits we can strip off the hubs, fit new rear toe arm ball joints and clean up and paint the knuckles. We can also get the diff fully built and shimmed correctly and clean up and paint the diff cases.

Rides
    Gary had one of his regular customers in for a bit of work. Nothing special, just another factory fresh built £200,000 Moslar race car for mapping sent straight from the factory by Moslar UK.

You newer 200SX guys are missing a real trick with Gary. Hes been in the SX modding scene for years and years and has built many of THE best 200s in the UK, including my Monster and Ken Scudders 670bhp supercharged V8 insane creation. If you ever want a proper 200SX build doing then Garys your man

Anyway, once we finished with the rear bed we moved onto other areas. The Skyline powersteering rack uses a solanoid to alter rack feel, from light at slow speed to heavier at high speed. We just run a continuos 12v feed to the solanoid to have the steering light all the time which is idea for drifting. The 12v feed is a potential point of failure so we decided we will fit an S14 rack instead as they always run light. Mike pulled the rack of my doner S14a sat outside the back of Garys unit making the place look unsightly and steam cleaned both racks ready for dismantling:

After stripping we fitted Tein rods ready for the Apex anti bump rod ends but then decided that the S14 rack looked a bit scabby so I prepped it ready for paint:

Bit of paint and voila, nice and shiny:

Last edited by bren; 30-01-2010 at 12:55.

Rides
    In the meantime Chris and Tim were working on the dash. We have a batch of custom heated screens on their way so dont need the heater matrix or blower system. Another one of my plans to reduce complexity and increase reliability. Keep it simple stupid and all that. The dash is going to be flocked so Tim and Chris started prepping the dash by filling any heater vents holes and sanding them back.

Tim cutting plates to block the vents:

Filling over the plates:

Sanding down the filler:

Chirs working on the centre dash surround:

And the dash, still very much work in progress at this stage:

We also removed the brake dust sheilds from the front hubs. Theyd been cut down for the larger brakes but its far neater just to remove them completely.

Ive just ordered a set of external reservoir ER Series coilovers for the car along with a gas electric plumbed in fire extinguisher system.

Next week we will strip and paint the diff case and all the hubs and have the diff properly built into its casing.

The engines now finished and will be dynoed next week.

All good progress
    Last edited by bren; 30-01-2010 at 12:56.

Rides
    Sexy new BC Racing ER Series coilovers are here. External reservoir and two way damping adjustable, mega cool

Now just a man!
    Rides
    Ooooh shiny Progress is looking good
    Now just a man!

Rides
    You want to see what Im going to put up on here in the next hour or so

Now just a man!
    Rides
    You want to see what Im going to put up on here in the next hour or so
    Is it likely to end up costing me money? In which case I am off to get banned
    Now just a man!

Rides
    Mmmmm, yeah, it will be another nail in the coffin of your wallet