Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Christine - Apexs V8 Skyline drift car - 2nd overall EDC 2008

Rides
    thanks for the list bren

Quote Originally Posted by bren View Post
    Out of interest why did you hate V8s?
    if you're ever bored and looking for a fight go and ask that on a US rotary forum, I did a few years back and watched dozens of hateful yet hilarious pages mount up

bren, are apex only going to be doing LSx mounts/kits for nissan s or will there be an SBC option too?

Rides
    The LS2 in my S14 has had zero negative impact on the cars handling and the car corner weights at virtually the same weight distribution as the stock set up.

The Skylines engine is an old school iron block so would weigh a ton compared to the SR20 BUT weighs no more than the Skylines original RB25 which is a big old engine and also iron block.

The V8s are a very small and compact unit, lots shorter than an RB as theyre only 4 cylinders long and only slightly longer than an SR20.

Jap engines can produce shed loads of power but at what cost? Ive never come accross an SR running 400bhp that has done ten events with no fundimetal problems. Ive owned two S14s running 400bhp and an S13 running 400, 450 and then 500bhp. None of them were problem free for any period of time at those power levels.

Our V8 S14 has done 10 events so far this year, ten events! Lots of niggling teething issues but none of which have been substantial and none of which have had anything to do with the fundimental engine/box package. Its already booked in for one more on the 13th of November, might be out doing a drift event this Saturday coming and Ive semi lined up another track day at Bedford late this month. I might be going to the Nurburgring in a week or so and I have no qualms about taking my car. I wont because I am not interested doing the Ring in the wet but if it was earlier in the year then hell yeah, jump in it and off we toddle!

Matt,

Whats an SBC?

Rides
    Oh and I run my car on normal unleaded, not super

EDIT: I tell you what it is, the V8 equipped cars just have heart and sole. They develop a huge character and become a big old bear of a car. You just smile when they fire up early in the morning, when you first squirt up the road, when you come to a stop, set off, corner etc etc. They just make you smile, full stop

Rides
    Small block Chevy

Rides
    Ah. I could sort a conversion for a 350 for a Skyline but nothing else. Much as Id love to offer the 350 install kits the market for the V8s is going to be small enough as it is, even smaller for the old school stuff

Rides
    out of interest how much would one of these conversions cost? roughly?

Rides
    Long gone Im afraid. Ive still got a top spec (aluminium cover) twin plate Giken clutch if its of interest. It only did one round of EDC and part of a track day at Brands, thats it. £800.
    Already sorted thanks ive got myself a brand spanking OS Giken R4C to go in.

ill go back to my jag gearbox plan.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Daz View Post
    out of interest how much would one of these conversions cost? roughly?
    Honestly dont have a clue, havent finalised costing them yet. My conversion probably came in at £8k for parts alone but then I paid through the nose for the engine, box etc. You should be able to take a large chunk off that.

Quote Originally Posted by big_mac View Post
    Already sorted thanks ive got myself a brand spanking OS Giken R4C to go in.

ill go back to my jag gearbox plan.
    No probs

Rides
    With trophies like that on offer I'm tempted to learn to drift.

Rides
    Honestly dont have a clue, havent finalised costing them yet. My conversion probably came in at £8k for parts alone but then I paid through the nose for the engine, box etc. You should be able to take a large chunk off that.

No probs

Rides
    I hated them for 2 reasons really.

1. They always sounded broken, I mean the older V8's from muscle cars

2. I hated the idea that to have decent power most V8's were over 5litre's. Really liked the fact that jap cars make huge power from tiny engines and still didn't drink shedloads of fuel.

I think I did used to have the perception of them being slow and lazy and massively underpowered but I think that might be the fact that the cars they were in were so heavy.

I still don't 'love' the noise, I still prefer the noise of a V6, straight 6, V10 or even a straight 5.

30PSI took me out in his T-Bird the other day and even though it wasn'ts that fast or handled that great I really enjoyed it and loved the noise lol.

I think I'm confusing myself now lol.

Anyway, I still can't afford to drop a V8 in mine, can't really afford to chuck a few grand at the engine.
    Your

Mine isn't the best way to experience a V8 tbh, it's a smooth running low output cooking lump, you need to go out in something with more grunt and then you'll instantly understand why they're so good and then realise there's no substitute. If you want a turbo engine, then you can always turbo a V8

As you say mine isn't fast by today's standard but with a 16 sec 1/4 back nearly 50 years ago that was rapido. By the mid to late 60's the yanks started thinking, hold on we have lots of displacement let's get these engines breathing better and then came the birth of the muscle car and pretty much unbeatable power.

Rides
    What do you think 400bhp reliable (or as reliable 400bhp as youll get from a turbo 2 litre) will cost you in an SR? If you do the conversion right then youre going to need:

Twin plate clutch to retain 100% drivability £1200
    Turbo £1000
    Full engine back exhaust system £700
    Larger injectors £450
    Oil cooler £199
    Radiator £179
    OS Giken gearbox £2300 (built)
    Management and remap £1000
    Boost controller £200
    Heat management £150
    Fuel pump £89
    Fuel pressure regulator £129
    Intercooler £300
    Uprated engine and gearbox mounts £129
    Braided turbo lines £129
    Intake system £200

Thats just under £8500 immediately and we havent even started on the engine yet. Add another £4k for a decent forged engine build and youre up to £12,500.

And then youve a highly stressed four pot that if youre lucky will do you 30k miles. And I mean lucky with a capital LUCKY. Chuck in a load of track work then Id be happy as Larry to get 10k trouble free miles.

Remember that the V8 conversion includes everything so engine, fuel system, clutch, box, radiator, oil cooler kit, exhaust system, heat management, engine management, mounts, intake system etc etc.

Id expect a low milage V8 to do an easy 50k of very hard use with the same power. I might be talking bollocks but I honestly dont think thats being unrealistic. If youd bought a Monaro fitted with the same lump then Id imagine youd be pretty pissed if it didnt clock 100k miles and theres no reason why milage would be restricted just because the same engine was dropped into an S body.
    Last edited by bren; 03-11-2009 at 06:36.

Rides
    My God, you're a salesman you are.
    Every time I walk past my car, I see a vision of your face with a LS2 on the bonnet.

Off to check my bank balance.

Rides
    I do try

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbie View Post
    With trophies like that on offer I'm tempted to learn to drift.
    I know, look at him dribbling!

Rides
    This was from before Christmas, the shells now been painted inside, underneath and the engine bay but these are all the pics I have at the moment.

Proper 100% genuine bare shell rebuild.

Rides
    This is as far as we have got with the parts list for the rebuild. These are the parts we are gathering ready to start bolting the car back together next week. This is what we have thought of so far, no doubt theres a load more stuff missing from the list.

we have everything laid out in a spreadsheet with details of where the parts are (here, at AP Tuning or at H Tech, the body shop), what we need to order in, what needs doing to the parts (some stuff is being powerder coated, others painted) etc.

SUSPENSION

COILOVERS
    CAMBER ARMS
    TRACTION ARMS
    FRONT LOWER ARMS WITH TC
    REAR LOWER ARMS
    FRONT TIE RODS
    FRONT BUMP STEER ROD ENDS
    FRONT CAMBER ARMS
    REAR TIE ROD
    REAR SUBFRAME
    SOLID SUBFRAME BUSHES
    REAR DIFF BUSHES
    REAR HICAS BAR
    REAR STRUT BRACE
    FRONT ENGINE CROSS MEMBER
    FRONT LOWER TC SUPPORTS
    FRONT HUBS
    REAR HUBS
    STEERING RACK MOUNTS
    FRONT ANTI ROLL BAR
    REAR ANTI ROLL BAR
    F ROLL BAR MOUNTING BRACKET
    R ROLL BAR MOUNTING BRACKET
    FRONT DROP LINKS HR
    REAR DROP LINKS HR
    STEERING COLUMN
    STEERING WHEEL
    QUICK RELEASE
    STEERING WHEEL BOSS
    WHEELS
    STEERING RACK
    STEERING WHEEL
    FRONT 356MM BRAKES
    REAR Z32 10 GROOVED DISCS
    PROJECT MU D1 REAR PADS
    PF 01 REAR PADS
    2 POT REAR CALIPERS
    2 POT REAR CALIPERS
    PF01 FRONT 8 POT PADS
    BRAKE FLUID

INTERIOR

DASH
    DRIVERS SEAT
    PASSENGER SEAT
    DRIVERS HARNESS
    PASSENGER HARNESS
    HANDBRAKE
    BIAS VALVE
    HANDBRAKE RESERVOIR
    ROLL CAGE
    GAUGES REV WTEP OTEMP OPRESS
    FIRE EXTINGUISHER
    FUEL TANK
    FILLER CAP
    FILLER TUBE
    PASSENGER FOOTREST
    SWITCH BOX
    BATTERY BOX
    STROBE KIT
    MSD UNIT
    ELECTRICAL CUT OFF
    PIT TO CAR
    LH SEAT RAIL
    RH SEAT RAIL
    CAGE FIXINGS

COOLING

OIL COOLER
    POWERSTEERING COOLER
    RADIATOR
    RAD FANS
    RAD HOSES
    FAN CONTROLLER
    RADIATOR

ENGINE

POWER STEERING PUMP
    POWER STEERING LINES
    STARTER MOTOR
    SPARE P/S BELT
    SPARE DRY SUMP BELT
    DRY SUMP TANK
    DRY SUMP LINES
    SPARE COIL PACK
    SPARE ROTOR CAP
    SPARE ROTOR ARM
    RPM CHIPS
    SPARE ROCKER COVER GASKETS

EXHAUST

HEADERS
    COLLECTOR
    SYSTEM
    MANIFOLD TO HEAD GASKETS

DRIVETRAIN

GEARBOX
    CLUTCH
    CLUTCH LINE
    SHIFTER
    PEDALS
    GEARBOX MOUNT
    PROP
    DRIVESHAFTS
    GTR LSD
    GTR HUBS

EXTERIOR

PLASTIC SCUTTLE PANEL
    HEADLIGHTS
    SIDELIGHTS
    REAR LIGHTS
    REAR CENTRE PANEL
    BOOTLID
    BONNET
    BGW
    WINDOWS

Rides
    What do you think 400bhp reliable (or as reliable 400bhp as youll get from a turbo 2 litre) will cost you in an SR? If you do the conversion right then youre going to need:
    Makes sense what your saying.

MY big weakness is that I often forget about the cost of tuning whats already there.

There is a main reason to the '' smiley though and thats because I just couldn't imagine spending that kind of money on an engine conversion, but then again a few years ago I couldn't imagine spending £500 on suspension or £700 on a turbo yet I seem to have done it on my car.

Maybe your going through a mid life crisis and i'm not there yet lol. Hold a V8 for me when I get there haha.

Rides
    If you add up what it costs to get your car from stock thewn you know youd never decide to spend that money on upgrading an old Datsun. Its creeps up on you over time. If you want to get good power from an SR then you just need to step back and add up everything youll need in one go without skipping past all the stuff that gets ignored so you get an accurate idea of how much youre spending.

Then look at the alternative way to achieve that power and compare true costs

Rides
    A lot of work has gone into that shell, has it been blasted? I blasted the underneath of mine and it was bloody hard work but worth it.

I know I shouldn't be asking this as I'm 50:50 on selling the thing but have you finalised the cost of your V8 conversions?