Thread: spraying over polished lips

Rides

spraying over polished lips

Yo guys, just a quickie on prep here. I have a set of second hand scrota GT3's. Black with polished lips. I'm going to 'anodise' (effect paint) the lips, but I want as good a finish as I can with spray cans. Should I go to the extent of paint stripping the laquer of the polished lips then primering, or can I just rough up the lip as it is with scotchbrite and primer from there? I've found when stripping before I generally end up with a relatively uneven surface to work on, whereas as the wheels are in near new condition I feel if I could get away with less I'd end up with a better finish.

Rides
    One of the lads on irishrotary just completed his... have a look.. just used halfords spray cans... small write up too.

http://www.irishrotary.com/forum/php...3f53fdda#29208

Rides
    am I the only one that chuckled at the title?

I'll get my coat

Rides
    This can't be safe, can it?

Half the bolt holes around the rim here have been worn away, haven't they? Looks like all four of his are in the same state.

I r confused...

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by disco-tom View Post
    This can't be safe, can it?
    Half the bolt holes around the rim here have been worn away, haven't they? Looks like all four of his are in the same state.

I r confused...
    I think thats pretty normal to be fair mate
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    Nothing wrong with GT3s

Anyways, you'll need to give the paint a good key at the very least, so a good rubbing down, then wash and degrease, then on with the paint

Rides
    That's how lots of split rims are Tom It's so they can get past the barrel, which is actually slightly curved in profile There should also be 2 'inserts' that go where the narrower parts are that strengthen that area

The lips will be lacquered anyways, so just key them up and paint over the top - they aren't bare polished alloy

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Si View Post

The lips will be lacquered anyways, so just key them up and paint over the top - they aren't bare polished alloy
    That's the gem I needed si - wasnt sure if I could key and paint over a lacquer. Legend!
    Is scotchbrite enough to key it with (guessing itll need to be fine so not to scratch)

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Si View Post
    That's how lots of split rims are Tom
    Oh right; I see.

Must be safe and all that then. But still, I'm glad my split rims are even all the way round.