Page 55 of 71 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,100 of 1418

Thread: My S14 Reshell/rufurb/rebuild. Major project so will take a long time.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by -ghost- View Post
    Has it not gone on the inner sill part I have to replace both of those
    Nope. The inner sill is solid other than a few small bits that I repaired when I was replacing the outer sills.
    The rust in the seam in the pic is just surface rust from what I can see.

Rides
    I think we need to organise a build-ff between spice_weazle and petrol "scrapheap challenge" style!

I love the work going into this.

Rides
    Mate glad to see this is coming along again. Your really going to town on the refurb work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigShow View Post
    Reach arounds are more my thing, I don't like the taste...

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by LED sandwich View Post
    Mate glad to see this is coming along again. Your really going to town on the refurb work.

Cheers mate. It is coming on again at a steady rate. Im basically doing a back to bare metal refurb on the shell other than the bits I cant get to. I know its ott but Ive gone this far so may as well stick with it.

Rides
    Yeah mate, it's great to see to be honest. Maybe you should get it dipped and galvanised.it could be the forever 200

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigShow View Post
    Reach arounds are more my thing, I don't like the taste...

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by LED sandwich View Post
    Yeah mate, it's great to see to be honest. Maybe you should get it dipped and galvanised.it could be the forever 200

Until I crash it!!!

I would love to get it dipped but TBH I just cant afford to do it.

Rides
    The one other thing to note about the dip is 2 local guys had their classics dipped and had some issues with paint reaction one was with underseal but other was on the body work which caused him a lot of expense and heartbreak.

Rides
    The one other thing to note about the dip is 2 local guys had their classics dipped and had some issues with paint reaction one was with underseal but other was on the body work which caused him a lot of expense and heartbreak.
    I read a few stories on the interweb (so its got to be true) about dipping. Ive read that it doesnt get into all the seams and joints like they say thus not curing what Ive found to be some of the worst places for rust. When you think about it it makes sense that the acid cant get into a joint/seam unless its been opened up. I still think its a good thing if you have the money and is for sure the easiest way to remove 95% of rust. I can remove 85% of rust, imo, for a fraction of the cost but takes longer. Swings and roundabouts though, the acid can get where I cant and I can get where the acid cant.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by spice_weazle View Post
    I read a few stories on the interweb (so its got to be true) about dipping. Ive read that it doesnt get into all the seams and joints like they say thus not curing what Ive found to be some of the worst places for rust. When you think about it it makes sense that the acid cant get into a joint/seam unless its been opened up. I still think its a good thing if you have the money and is for sure the easiest way to remove 95% of rust. I can remove 85% of rust, imo, for a fraction of the cost but takes longer. Swings and roundabouts though, the acid can get where I cant and I can get where the acid cant.
    If i ever do a proper classic I think I would get it dipped but for a track day car it could be a grand in the bin as soon as you hit the first gravel trap or the likes.

Hows the roll cage and bender coming on?

The cage is driving me mad I can't stick to a design worried that I'm going to **** it up.

Rides
    If i ever do a proper classic I think I would get it dipped but for a track day car it could be a grand in the bin as soon as you hit the first gravel trap or the likes.

Hows the roll cage and bender coming on?

The cage is driving me mad I can't stick to a design worried that I'm going to **** it up.

Ive not started on the cage yet. Thats the next job once Ive cleaned and painted the area where the rear seats were and done the passenger seat mount. Will be about a month until Ill get onto to it because Ive got a few jobs to do and some sills to make. I can see where your coming from regarding the cage, if you havent done one before it c an be quite daunting. Im going to start with the main hoop, then the front side bars and go from there. They are the main parts to get in place IMO. Im going to be running a low(just above the sill) welded in door bar and a bolt in upper bar. Im going to have cross bars instead of a diagonal between the rear side bars and bars going to the front turret tops. Thats basically what Im thinking of doing for my cage.

I got another section finished off this week. The rusty seam came up good.

Its was all cleaned treated and paint.

Rides
    man you got lucky with the floor I ended up chopping large amounts of the floor out and on both sides had to chop the front of the floor the bottom of the front wheel arch now that took one hell of a work to get right

With the cage swell you have that akward time when you have to weld the tops of the cage which are tight on the roof :S
    I'm using 5mm spreader plates for the feet of my cage but how the hell you do you bend it to match the car floor?
    Last edited by -ghost-; 16-02-2014 at 22:16.

Rides
    man you got lucky with the floor I ended up chopping large amounts of the floor out and on both sides had to chop the front of the floor the bottom of the front wheel arch now that took one hell of a work to get right

With the cage swell you have that akward time when you have to weld the tops of the cage which are tight on the roof :S
    I'm using 5mm spreader plates for the feet of my cage but how the hell you do you bend it to match the car floor?

5mm for the feet is OTT, 3mm is ample. You will get a better weld with 3mm too because you are going to struggle too get enough heat to get decent penetration on the 5mm without blowing through the shell. As regards welding the tops cut holes in the floor before welding the feet up.

Rides
    Good work as always but where have all you pictures gone? Would be good if you can get them back up!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Rallye View Post
    Good work as always but where have all you pictures gone? Would be good if you can get them back up!

The web site I used to host the pictures shut down without notice so all the links are dead. I have so may pictures (something like 3000) covering approx 4 years of work that I just dont have the time to go through each post and rehost all the images and update the dead links.

Rides
    5mm for the feet is OTT, 3mm is ample. You will get a better weld with 3mm too because you are going to struggle too get enough heat to get decent penetration on the 5mm without blowing through the shell. As regards welding the tops cut holes in the floor before welding the feet up.
    Its 4mm not 5mm I measured it this morning it seems a bit weak when you think that car could roll at 140-160mph :O. I've started at least now I got the 50mm hole saw on the floor but it still won't give me great deal of space tho I tried doing a dummy run with my old clarke welder and it was fine my new welder has a 3m huge torch.

Don't suppose you know a cheap place to get CDS from? paying £19 a meter :O

I miss your pics too it was great for checking how it came apart and how it went back together
    Last edited by -ghost-; 17-02-2014 at 15:03.

Rides
    Its 4mm not 5mm I measured it this morning it seems a bit weak when you think that car could roll at 140-160mph :O. I've started at least now I got the 50mm hole saw on the floor but it still won't give me great deal of space tho I tried doing a dummy run with my old clarke welder and it was fine my new welder has a 3m huge torch.

Don't suppose you know a cheap place to get CDS from? paying £19 a meter :O

I miss your pics too it was great for checking how it came apart and how it went back together

**** me £19 a meter!!!!! I paid £8 a meter from Hub le Bas. You dont need an account to buy from them and they take credit card payments. You want the non heat treated CDS its harder to bend but a lot stronger.

Rides
    **** me £19 a meter!!!!! I paid £8 a meter from Hub le Bas. You dont need an account to buy from them and they take credit card payments. You want the non heat treated CDS its harder to bend but a lot stronger.

I love you rich How have I not come across them before I just used my local stockist they are normally good

Rides
    Not been doing anything directly on the car but I have been getting the garage sorted. Everything is now pretty much sorted in it, I just need chuck some stuff away and then it's ready to receive my old car. It's not a massive garage, 12ft x 24ft, and it's not perfect but it's a comfortable place to work on the car. It's fully insulated to help keep me warm in the winter and has pretty much everything I need in it, I can't wait to get a car in it. A massive thank you needs to go to corfublue for many hours of work helping me get it sorted.

Here's a few pics.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393325801.792130.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1393325818.598043.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1393325830.614180.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1393325841.012989.jpg

Rides
    Nice cheeky sr you've got there in the corner

Rides
    Ooooh, looking sweet fella, no dusty floor

I just need to sort a few more bits then I'm done lol

Especially the lighting layout!