Page 13 of 71 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast

Thread: My S14 Reshell/rufurb/rebuild. Major project so will take a long time.

Rides
    impressive fab work going on here dude

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Swiftmini View Post
    impressive fab work going on here dude
    Thanks fella.

Since my Trackday at Cadwell on friday Ive been thinking a lot about the direction Im taking this car whilst Ive been away this weekend and Ive decided to do what Ive always wanted to do and go for a more track orientated car with some under car areo and stripped interior ect. I was going a little more down that route with this car any way but decided even more so now.

Im going to go for a little more power too, I recon stage 2, but not too much because I dont have money to through at it.

Rides
    Todays update.

I did some chopping today.

Ive cut the last piece I wanted to get rid of at the rear of the sill area today.

Here's some piccies.

Firstly off came the rear seat belt mount.

Then I started to cut away the bad metal that makes up part of the inner sill and the sub frame mounting point on the rear of the sill.

Until I ended up with this,

This is what it looks like inside the lower part of the rear chassis rail,It looks worse than it is. Its only surface rust.

Nothing a good clean, treatment of HYDRATE-80 and a few coats of Electrox primer wont fix.

I also test fitted the new piece that is going to replace the section I cut out today and Im very happy with how it fits.

I can now start to clean up and treat the surface rust that is there ready for the reconstruction to begin.

Rides
    I started to wire brush the rust up inside the B pillar and the inner sill today.

Here's a few pics.

Before.

After.

and heres the tool I used to do it.

As you can see in the pics Ive removed the other rear seat belt mounting point, these seem to be some of the rustiest parts for some reason. There is still plenty of wire brushing needed before I apply plenty of DEOX-GEL to totally remove all the rust but its a start.

Rides
    Just a little update, nothing of intrest really.

Ive spent my lunch break with drill in hand wire brushing up inside the pillar again. Starting to get some where with it now.

There is still an hours or so work left until Ill be happy to put the DEOX-GEL on but its getting there.

Rides
    ur probably sick of hearing this, but cracking work mate! i would have got bored/confused and given up by now. you should restore cars for a living, i suppose old s bodies aren't worth enough for someone to pay you to do this for them though.
    keep going anyway, this is gonna be absolutely mint when its finished, which the rate your going wont be long considering the work involved!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by park_monkey View Post
    which the rate your going wont be long considering the work involved!
    I dont know mate. I was hoping to spray it this summer but dont think it will be any where near ready. Things are going slower than hoped. At the moment I m just derusting it, then Ill be thinking about some of the other things I want to do to it i.e. aero, interior, seating position ect and thats before I strip my current car and modify/upgrade and refurb all the parts Ill be needing off that. Its going to take a long time.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by spice_weazle View Post
    I started to wire brush the rust up inside the B pillar and the inner sill today.

and heres the tool I used to do it.

As you can see in the pics Ive removed the other rear seat belt mounting point, these seem to be some of the rustiest parts for some reason. There is still plenty of wire brushing needed before I apply plenty of DEOX-GEL to totally remove all the rust but its a start.
    Nice Homebrew tools ftw!

Rides
    Latest update.

I finished wire brushing up inside the B pillar today and applied the first treatment of DEOX-GEL to one area(Im doing it in sections to try and make it a little easier). I have to say that its not very easy trying to cover the inside of a B pillar with cling film.

Heres some pics.

Final wire brushing, The DEOX-GEL should make easy work of little bits of rust thats left......If my cling filming is good enough.

and the cling film.

Tomorrow Ill be removing the cling film and cleaning off the gel. I have a feeling though that the area Ive treated will need more gel applying.

Rides
    I now have a rust free B pillar at last.

It took a fare bit of work with a drill and various wire brushes and 2 applications of DEOX-GEL but now the passengar side B pillar is rust free. I have also given it a coating of HYDRATE 80. No pics today but will get a few on monday.

Next job is to cean up the rear part of the inner sill before it all gets 2 coats of ELECTROX primer. I can then start welding it all back together again.

Then it will be time to start on the A pillar foot and the rest of the inner sill.

Rides
    Latest update.

Not a lot to tell really. On friday I finished derusting the inside of the B pillar and gave it a coat of HYDRATE 80 to nuetralise any remain rust if there was any(better not of been) and to seal the bare metal.

When I got into work today there was an orange hue on some of the places that I treated with the HYDRATE 80 and imediately thought that some how rust had formed under the treatment I was that it looked like all my hard work had been wasted.

I gave Bilt Hamber a call in my lunch break though and they checked there technical info and said the orange hue was due to the HYDRATE 80 not activating fully and was defonately not rust. They told me to put another coat on to treat and seal the area fully. So thats what I did and all looks good now but wasnt able to paint it with ELECTROX primer because I had to wait for the HYDRATE 80 to dry.

Heres a few pics of the treated B pillar (Even crapper than usual due to the black and darkness in the pillar).

I need to get cracking on this sill section now because I got the date(22nd April) through for the op on my wrist and want to get as much done before then. I defo want to have the rear part of the inner sill and B pillat all welded back together before then.

Rides
    Blinding work mate

Are you doing this in evenings and weekends only?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzomagic View Post
    Blinding work mate

Are you doing this in evenings and weekends only?
    Not even weekends or evenings, Im only work on it during break times at work or if we arent busy i get an hour in the morning before work to do stuff on it instead of doing overtime..

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by spice_weazle View Post
    Not even weekends or evenings, Im only work on it during break times at work or if we arent busy i get an hour in the morning before work to do stuff on it instead of doing overtime..
    Impressive stuff mate, not bad at all. Well done is all I can say.

Rides
    nice work mate. Loving the chimney sweep wire brush . All the de-rusting ballache will be worth it in the end.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by EMENEAR View Post
    nice work mate. Loving the chimney sweep wire brush . All the de-rusting ballache will be worth it in the end.
    It is a ballache but its peace of mind for me knowing that what Im doing will extend the life of the shell by many many years.

Rides
    Todays update.

I put a coat of Bilt Hambers ELECTROX primer up inside the B pillar today. I cant believe how thick and heavy the stuff is. TBH its a PITA brushing it on inside the B pillar, I did thin it down a little but it was still a PITA.

It still needs touching up in places and it doesnt look great but at the end of the day its not going to be seen because Im going to be making aliminium panels further down the line to go where the original rear plastic trim normally goes and its basically about rust prevention and protection.

I also Welded up the piece of the new inner sill section/subby mount in readyness for it to be welded in place. I just need to drill some holes in the top so I can plug weld it as well as weld it along the edges. Just for added strength.

Tomorrow Ill touch the paint in the B pillar and continue getting all the new pieces of metal ready for welding back up... Whilst Im getting all the bits ready Ill be derusting the main channel of the inner sill too.

Rides
    Latest update.

I have now wire brushed the rear half of the inner sill and treated it with DEOX-GEL and HYDRATE 80. Heres some pics.

Wire brushed.

DEOX-GEL applied and cling filmed.

After cleaning off the gel.

and treated with HYDRATE 80.

I have been thinking this evening about cutting more of the inner sill out. Up to the joint in the pic below.

My reasoning is that the rust has pitted the metal quite badly on this section and there is a tiny hole(about the size of the tip of a ball point pen) on the bottom edge of the sill. The rust has been removed totaly on the inside of the channel but Im worried that the rust on the inside of the chassis rail, where the outer part of the sill joins the floor (best I can describe it) will come through and rust the inside of the sill again because there is no way I can get in to remove the rust fully in the chassis rail. Best I can do is try and get in with a wire brush and treat it with HYDRATE 80 and then give it a few coats of ELECTROX primer. Maybe Im thinking to much of it though because it is only a tiny hole and the new section I have made is welded over it and I can always put a blob of weld on to fill the hole.................... I think Ive just talked mysef out of cutting more out.

Here is a mock up of the new sections of inner sill(this will need remaking if I decide to cut more out) and the wheel arch sections showing how the 3 pieces will go together on the car.

Tomorrow I will be either cutting out more sill or painting on some ELECTROX primer and making a start on cleaning up the inside of the chassis rail.

Rides
    Its good attention to detail you have there mate, same time I was trying to put myself in your shoes. You have done it to a tee now, I personally would not owrry about the tiny pin hole, same time, I wouldnt want to have regrets later, if that makes sense.

Rides
    Excellent work fella, i'm keeping an eye on here