Page 12 of 71 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast

Thread: My S14 Reshell/rufurb/rebuild. Major project so will take a long time.

Rides
    Had to go into work today for a few hours so poached half an hour to finish of the new section of B pillar foot.

I drilled the holes and sprayed it with weldable etch primer so its all ready to be welded into place when the time comes to rebuild the rear of the sill/subframe mount/B pillar.

Heres a few more pics.

The next job is to look at the area where the subframe mounts to the sill and the bottom of the wheel arch.

Rides
    Here is my latest update.

I have made up what will be(If Ive measured everything right) the new piece for the part of the inner sill where the subframe bracket is mounted.

Firtsly here is pics of the new piece. Its design to fit inside the exsiting inner sill section.

and here with the strengthening piece.

Ill try and explain where its going to go with this pic.

The part that is marked with black marker will be cut out including the strengthening piece thats in there. The holes in the new piece are where it will be plug welded to the original inner sill, shown by the red marker in the pic above. The new piece will also form a new lip where the outer sill will welded. As well as the plug welds it will be welded along the edges where pos for added strength.

Next job is to make a new piece for the bottom of the wheel arch. Then Ill clean up and treat the surface rust in the area before I start to weld it back together. Then Ill be tackling the rust at the front of the sill section.
    Last edited by spice_weazle; 18-02-2010 at 04:50.

Rides
    This is going to end up being the mintest S body around

Rides
    blooy hell rich thats some hardcore refurbing

Rides
    Well what can I say other than….I am mega impressed with you fabrication work, it looks top notch
    Pete

SXOC Member Number : 317

Rides
    Cheers for the comments guys. I finally feel like Im getting somewhere now. Once the sills have been sorted its basicaly the boot area that needs sorting then its onto the blasting/ wire brushing stage.

Rides
    i feel proper shady selling you that, just goes to show you can never tell by looking at a shell whats going on underneath. looks like its gonna be mint when its done though, keep it up mate.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by park_monkey View Post
    i feel proper shady selling you that, just goes to show you can never tell by looking at a shell whats going on underneath. looks like its gonna be mint when its done though, keep it up mate.
    Trust me fella people were trying to sell me shells that where alot worse for alot more money and tbh honest Im having fun.

As you say though it looked fine on the surface but when you start digging....

Imo there are prob alot of s14's out there with alot more rot than thier owners realise. You just cant see it.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by spice_weazle View Post
    Imo there are prob alot of s14's out there with alot more rot than thier owners realise. You just cant see it.
    If my reaction is anything to go by then there are probably a lot of worried 14a owners out there after reading this thread

Have you got a date for your op yet Rich? Its just I might need a hand with a bit of metalwork for the front of my new one

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by baker_001 View Post
    If my reaction is anything to go by then there are probably a lot of worried 14a owners out there after reading this thread

Have you got a date for your op yet Rich? Its just I might need a hand with a bit of metalwork for the front of my new one
    No mate no date yet. At a guess it will be around April time.

I knew you were looking for a new one but didnt realise you've got one.

Let me know what you need help with mate and Ill do my best to sort you out.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by park_monkey View Post
    You posted off that turbo timer yet mate?

Rides
    Todays update.

I cut away the bottom of the arch today only to find another piece that needs to cut out and replaced.

Heres a few pics.

Here is the latest hole that needs repairing

The red marker is what Im going to be cutting out.

Thats it for today.

Tomorrow Im going to take some measurements so I can make sure once all the crap has been cut out that all the new pieces will be welded in in the right place. Then ill start to look at how I going to make up the new pieces of arch.

Rides
    The latest update.

Ive not had much chance to do alot this week because Im mega busy at work.

I have started to make a replacement section for the lower part of the wheel arch that I have cut out though.

Heres the pics.

It still needs some work but its getting there and is nearly done, Im fiddling with it to try and get the fit a little better before its welded and trimmed up.

Rides
    all i can say is wow, was'nt expecting to see that much rust on it. to be fair your doing a awesome job on it.

and for the worried 14a owners you have got to remember this shell has done 174k.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by karl elwell View Post
    all i can say is wow, was'nt expecting to see that much rust on it. to be fair your doing a awesome job on it.

and for the worried 14a owners you have got to remember this shell has done 174k.
    I recon the high milage doesnt make that much difference tbh. My 76k s14 is starting to go in the usual places like your old shell and Ive seen alot worse too on cars that at a guess havent done that sort of milage.

Rides
    Any way a little update for today.

I have done a little more to the new lower arch piece. Ive tweaked the shape a little and now welded most of it up.

Just need to clean up welds and trim the lip to the right size.

Rides
    Wow... That's some extremely impressive fabrication work!!! Keep up the good work

Rides
    Time for a little update.

Ive now finished the piece to the bottom of the arch.

Here it is in position on the car.

and primered.

I have to say that for its size a lot of work went into this piece to get it to resemble the piece that was removed.

I also cut out the next piece that needs to be binned.

That left me with this

The channel section of the inner sill you can see in the above pics is what will be replaced with the part in post 222.

Here is the replacement piece.

Thats it for now.

Rides
    Any updates, blinding work so far

Rides
    No more updates for this week. I was at cadwell park yesterday so got nothing done and Im mega busy at work too so not getting too much time on it at the moment. Hopefully I will get the the rest of the crap cut out at the rear of the sill and also make a start cleaning the rest up in preperation for welding it all back together.