Page 11 of 71 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread: My S14 Reshell/rufurb/rebuild. Major project so will take a long time.

Rides
    This is some awesome work!
    Good effort mate- you must be a patient person, but the satisfaction will be worth it!

Rides
    Heres the latest update.

I havent got too much done so far this week because Im busy at work at the mo.

Ive started to make up the first new full sill section. So far Ive managed to bend it up and just need to put the joddle on and it into shape at the rear.

Here's the pics.

Firstly the sill section in the flat before bending.

Here it is bent up.

and here's a few of it laid over the original sill to check fitment and length.

Hopefully Ill get it finished tomorrow. Then I can remove the old sill and tack on the new one to see how it fits for real.

Rides
    Not a big update but here is the lastone for this week.

I managed to get the first new sill finished today. Im happy with how it has turned out and it should be a good fit when the time comes to weld it on.

Heres a few pics.

The peice that sticks out on the rear part has been tweaked so it doesnt stand pround now and the sill has been treated with HYDRATE 80. TBH it looks better now the HYDRATE 80 has dried making the colour more uniform. I dont have a picture but Ill get one on monday.

Rides
    good work there, what machines have you at work, folders and rollers my limit is 8foot and we never deal with mild steel which can be a pain as its normally alu-dip or zinc plated thats why i went with mig brazing

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by ex-ctr View Post
    good work there, what machines have you at work, folders and rollers my limit is 8foot and we never deal with mild steel which can be a pain as its normally alu-dip or zinc plated thats why i went with mig brazing
    Yep we have benders and rollers and a lathe and a couple of millers(an old cnc and a manual). Rollers only up to 4ft(manual and power), bender up to 8ft and a cnc bender up to 10ft. Only the manual(non cnc) bender was used to make the sills though. We Only really work with mild steel, a little stainless but not a lot.

Rides
    Some cracking work there fella, The one piece sill looks fantastic :

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark White View Post
    Some cracking work there fella, The one piece sill looks fantastic :
    Nice one cheers. Its took a fair amount of work to get this far with it but Im happy with my measurements now and the way it bends up. It was defo worth doing lots of test pieces to tweak it to get it as close as I can. I know they wont be as good as nissan pressed sills but they arent available at all these days so ive done the next best thing IMO.

Rides
    Brilliant work, keeping my eye on this, surprised aint seen it till now.

keep it up.

Rides
    Latest update.

Firstly pics of the new sill after its been treated.

Not much to see really.

Now todays update.

I removed the passenger side sill today.

Firstly I placed the new sill over the old and scribed around it to give me my cutting lines. I then drilled all the spot welds.

Then the angle grinder came out.

I then chisseled at the remaining points where the metal needed releasing and the sill came off leaving me with this.

As you can see from the pics that part of the B pillar needs to be cut out and replaced and I may break some of the spot welds along membrane that leads up to the A pillar to allow me to treat the rust behind it. Luckely the rust on the inner sill and around the A pilar area is only surface rust. Its the B pillar, subframe mounting point and bottom of the rear arch that needs the most work.

I also place the new sill in its rough position to see how it fits and Im happy with it. It should go on very well with a bit of tinkering as I fit it.

Thats it for today.

Rides
    Your metal work, is top notch!! keep up the good work!

Rides
    fcuking hell,you got skills dude!! Gonna keep my eye on this one

Rides
    dam you got mad skills, should start selling them!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by WideboyS14 View Post
    Your metal work, is top notch!! keep up the good work!
    Quote Originally Posted by kingj View Post
    fcuking hell,you got skills dude!! Gonna keep my eye on this one
    Cheers for the comments, they do help on a project like this some times believe me.

Quote Originally Posted by joshm8991 View Post
    dam you got mad skills, should start selling them!
    There may be a possability on that if others think they are good enough. As a lot of S14's have rotten sills.

I did have some bad news yesterday though. I need to have an op on my wrist (I have a trapped nerve which makes my hand go numb) and wont be able to use any hand tools for 6 weeks. So the project will be having an unwanted break in a few months time once the date for the op comes through.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by spice_weazle View Post
    I did have some bad news yesterday though. I need to have an op on my wrist (I have a trapped nerve which makes my hand go numb) and wont be able to use any hand tools for 6 weeks. So the project will be having an unwanted break in a few months time once the date for the op comes through.
    I'm sorry to hear that Rich I hope it all goes ok for you

I've been watching your thread and I have to echo everyone else's comments, fantastic workmanship and some serious balls to be chopping the shell about like you are It's going to be fantastic when it's done

Rides
    impressive work so far mate keep it up

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by baker_001 View Post
    I'm sorry to hear that Rich I hope it all goes ok for you

I've been watching your thread and I have to echo everyone else's comments, fantastic workmanship and some serious balls to be chopping the shell about like you are It's going to be fantastic when it's done
    Cheers mate. It is a bit of a bummer but has to be done. Cant even drive for the first 3 weeks after the op and the can only pick up a knife or fork ect for the first 2.

Rides
    Here is todays update.

Ive cut the rotten bottom of the B pillar off today. Before I did though I decided to weld a little extra bracing in to help prevent movement. Its just a piece of 20mm X 20mm box section welded to the floor and along the B pillar area up to the rear quater window apature.

Heres some pics.

I put some tape on where I wanted to cut, drilled the spot welds along the bottom edge and then got busy with the angle grinder.

Heres the piece that came off.

Cutting the crap metal off has also given me good access to allow me to clean the surface rust off the goes a little up the B pillar, on the inner sill and also given me better access to the sub frame mounting point that needs basically rebuilding.

Heres a few pics of the sub frame mounting point looking from inside the sill and the surface rust on the inside of the B piller.

Before I do any work on the subby mounting point and general derusting Im going to fabricate a new piecs for the B pillar foot. Ive started by making a rough cardboard pattern.

Thats as far as Ive got... Im going to make the new piece out of 16g this time for added strength. That will be tomorrows job.

Rides
    This whole thread is a precursor to my fun over the next few weeks. Really given me a good idea of what to expect once I start going through the rust layers

Quote Originally Posted by spice_weazle View Post
    There may be a possability on that if others think they are good enough. As a lot of S14's have rotten sills.
    I got a feeling Im gonna need a full length pair, so do start making them

Removing one on the subframe L-Brackets needed pulling off as the captive nut was spinning around in the inner sill rust

Subscribing to the thread for future insperation.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Girth View Post
    This whole thread is a precursor to my fun over the next few weeks. Really given me a good idea of what to expect once I start going through the rust layers

I got a feeling Im gonna need a full length pair, so do start making them

Removing one on the subframe L-Brackets needed pulling off as the captive nut was spinning around in the inner sill rust

Subscribing to the thread for future insperation.
    If you want any pics of any thing just let me know and Ill see what I can do. I went into this totally blind, so to speak, not knowing what the structure would be like behind the sill... It was quite scary when I started cutting.

Today I almost finished making the new B pillar foot, update coming up shortly just uploading pics, so next week I will be looking at the sub frame mounts at the rear of the sill so keep watching.

On making sills for other people...I will think about the possibility of doing it. Im not sure what people will think of them because they are hand made so they are not perfect copies of the original pressed sills and It takes a fair amount of work to make them and would be a waste of my time and money if people werent happy with the fit so not sure where to go with it, if you know what I mean.

Rides
    Here we are with todays update.

Nearly got the the B pillar foot made.

Firtstly I marked around my card template onto some 16g m/s.

Then I bent it up and tacked it together. Here it is being trial fitted.

Ive put a joddle on it around the top where it meets the the original part of the B pillar foot so it sits 10mm inside the original. This will allow me to get a hotter weld on it making it a much stronger joint.

I then welded it up. Here is what it looks like off the car, you can see the joddle in this pic.

I then gave it another trial fit.

All thats needed now is to drill some drainage holes in it, shown aprrox by the blue marker. Once they have been drilled its finished.

Thats it for another day.