Page 51 of 71 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,020 of 1418

Thread: My S14 Reshell/rufurb/rebuild. Major project so will take a long time.

Rides
    Im gradually starting to do bits on my car again. No work done on the shell as I need to sort out the tubing for the cage as thats the about the biggest thing fabrication wise to do on the shell. I need to sort the rear arches and quaters out too but dont want to do that until the cage is in. Soooo Im tidying up bits and powder coating stuff whilst Im waiting for the material to come in for the sill GB.

Ive powder coated the swirl pot and the catch tank and I was going to modify the bailey expansion tank I have but after looking at it today its going to be too much of a bodge so Ive decided to make a new one out of ali that will fit in the area where the battery used to be.

I had a go at bending the ali tube that Im going to use for the ''skeleton'' of the new centre console but it didnt work out. The tube just kinked instead of getting a nice smooth radius so Ive got to find a way of bending it nicely.

So not a lot of fab work but Im slowly doing bits that I was going to do further down the line and at least they will be ready to go on the shell once thats finished. Ill be starting work on the shell after Ive cleared up the outstanding sills from the GB. Its good to be able to do bits again, Ive seriously missed working on the car and Im glad my hand is as good as it is after my accident because I was worried that the project had come to end. Thankfully it was just put on hold for 9 months.

Rides
    Glad your hand has made a good recovery and look forward to the updates. It's not a bad idea to mix it up a bit, I'm doing that with the Mini. Shell is probably 25% fabricated but most of the suspension parts are finished
    Pete

SXOC Member Number : 317

Rides
    Great fabrication skills mate. Am in awe.

Sent from my GT-P3100 using Tapatalk 2

Rides
    Hi mate, long time no hear!
    Sorry to hear about the hand and the delays but good to see work and fab is still ongoing.
    Looking forward to seeing your updated pics when you get them uploaded.
    Amazing work as usual mate.

Cheers Aj

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by caesard View Post
    Great fabrication skills mate. Am in awe.

Sent from my GT-P3100 using Tapatalk 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Aj82 View Post
    Hi mate, long time no hear!
    Sorry to hear about the hand and the delays but good to see work and fab is still ongoing.
    Looking forward to seeing your updated pics when you get them uploaded.
    Amazing work as usual mate.

Cheers Aj
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrol View Post
    Glad your hand has made a good recovery and look forward to the updates. It's not a bad idea to mix it up a bit, I'm doing that with the Mini. Shell is probably 25% fabricated but most of the suspension parts are finished
    Cheers.

Here you go Aj, heres a few pics.

First the powder coated swirl pot and catch can.

I have to admit that I love my powder coater and Id powder coat the whole car if I could.

And here is the mock up of the expansion tank than Im making.

Rides
    what sort of powder coater do you have? id love to get so many more bits of my car done but its all money i dont have at the moment.

really glad you have begun to recover from that hand injury. sounds like you have been lucky in a way.

Rides
    Loving the pics mate, the powder coating looks great!

Cheers Aj

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by M.D. View Post
    what sort of powder coater do you have? id love to get so many more bits of my car done but its all money i dont have at the moment.

really glad you have begun to recover from that hand injury. sounds like you have been lucky in a way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aj82 View Post
    Loving the pics mate, the powder coating looks great!

Cheers Aj
    Cheers M.D. I have been unbelievably lucky with my hand. I cant believe how good it is after crushing it to the point of nearly severing it.

The powder coating system I have is a system I got off electrostaticmagic.co.uk. Looking at the website though they have changed to a new system. Its not a professional system but TBH Im very impressed with the results to say it only cost £100. Its basically the same as this one :-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Portab...item43bcd90e03

Rides
    is this wrong that i want to see a pic of what you got your hand squashed in

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by M.D. View Post
    is this wrong that i want to see a pic of what you got your hand squashed in
    No not at all. Ill get a pic of it on Monday and put it up. It's nothing impressive though.

I've just received forms from the hospital to apply for a copy of all my X-rays and, the one I really want, the photo that was taken in A&E shortly after i arrived even though it may make me .

Rides
    Here you go M.D. this is what bent my hand.

Here is what the tooling is like, incase you dont know how they work.

Its got a bending pressure of upto 110 ton and will bend a 3m length of 8mm thick plate. It was set to bend 3mm so guessing a pressure of 30 tons (plenty to break body parts) The gap between the tools before it stopped was around 3mm-6mm before my cousin who works with us pressed the other pedal to raise the top tool. The noise of my hand being bent and the sight of my hand after being bent is something I will never forget.

Rides
    That pedal box is a work of art! Glad to hear the hand is getting better too, the sill I bought off you has been put to good use and my car is now solid again.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Slamz View Post
    That pedal box is a work of art! Glad to hear the hand is getting better too, the sill I bought off you has been put to good use and my car is now solid again.
    Cheers I hope it works as good as it looks once its in the car.

Glad the sill sorted you out too.

Rides
    Ok, I thought its been such a long time since Ive been able to do any work on my shell that Ill post up with a little refresher of where I am on it before an update.

Ive cut off the sills and removed all rust that was behind them and replaced all the bad metal with fresh.

Ive replaced the rotten and crushed rear sections of the chassis rails.

Ive tubbed the front arches.

And Ive cut out the boot floor and welded in a floor to suit the fuel cell,pumps and filters(a whole new fuel system) and removed the rear parcel shelf and welded in a fully sealed off fire wall.

Quick refresh over.

Rides
    Now for an update.

Im finally ok to start work on the shell again. The list of things to do to the shell, fabrication wise are:-

1) Fit mounts for the seats.

2) Fit mounts for the pedal box.

3) Make and weld in the cage.

4) Decide what Im going to do with the front end. Currently thinking of cutting most of it away and rebuilding it out of tube/box section to suit the layout of the cooler,rad etc I have planned.

5) Cut out the rear quater panels and tub the rear acrhes to suit the over fenders.

6) Sort out fixing brackets for the flat floor/aero.

They are the main things I can think of at the moment. Im sure the list will grow, it always does.

Any way for the update, not a massive one but its a start....

Ive started on the frame for the drivers seat. It will be welded in place and the seat will be bolted directly to it. So far Ive only got the the main part of the frame welded up, tomorrow Ill make the tabs that the seat will be bolted to. Ill then do the same for the passenger seat.

Once the frames welded in I can fit the seat and sort out the position of the pedal box.

Rides
    you should get it dipped and phosphate coated (once all the fab is done) its a bare shell now so its ideal and would make it 100% rust proof

my dad got his 57 belair done and it sat outside for 2 years without so much as a hint of the brown stuff returning to the 60 year old steel.

glad to see your on the mend.

Rides
    Great to see your on the mend and working again dude. Will look forward to seeing this progress

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by 59bhp View Post
    you should get it dipped and phosphate coated (once all the fab is done) its a bare shell now so its ideal and would make it 100% rust proof

my dad got his 57 belair done and it sat outside for 2 years without so much as a hint of the brown stuff returning to the 60 year old steel.

glad to see your on the mend.
    I have thought about getting it dipped but its not cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by dread View Post
    Great to see your on the mend and working again dude. Will look forward to seeing this progress
    Cheers fella. It's great to be starting work on the car again.

Rides
    Glad to hear you're back to health and the project rolling again mate

Rides
    Great to see your recovered and now back on the rebuild.

Great stuff.