Page 52 of 71 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,040 of 1418

Thread: My S14 Reshell/rufurb/rebuild. Major project so will take a long time.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by spice_weazle View Post
    I have thought about getting it dipped but its not cheap.

Cheers fella. It's great to be starting work on the car again.
    yeah that is a big issue, plus the only place that does that AND the coating is in birmingham which also brings in certian logistical issues. you wouldnt be disapointed with the outcome though

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex.j View Post
    Great to see your recovered and now back on the rebuild.

Great stuff.
    Cheers mate. The hands not perfect but a lot better than I thought it would be. Has your little one been born yet?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by 59bhp View Post
    yeah that is a big issue, plus the only place that does that AND the coating is in birmingham which also brings in certian logistical issues. you wouldnt be disapointed with the outcome though
    If I can afford to do it at the end of the project before final assembly Ill prob have it done.

Rides
    Small update.

I got the seat mount pretty much finished. I just need to weld in some plates on the the shell to strengthen it and then cut the tubes down to the right size and weld it in.

Roughly in the position its going to be welded in, obviously lower down once the tubes have been trimmed down.

Also been making the filler tube for the expansion tank and will be making the cap next week. Ive made two because Ill be making a PAS fluid reservoir in the future too.

Rides
    Great skills. Amazing build:-)

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Alec View Post
    Great skills. Amazing build:-)
    Cheers.

Rides
    So cool you have access to proper kit and skills to boot.

Love all your work dude.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by -Marc- View Post
    So cool you have access to proper kit and skills to boot.

Love all your work dude.
    Cheers fella. TBH I wouldnt even think of starting this project with out being able to use all the stuff we have at work.

This weeks update.

Ive got the expansion tank pretty much finished all thats needed now is to get the bloke next door to me at work to weld on the pipe fittings then its ready for powder coating.

Ive also cut the seat mount tubes down to size and tacked on the plates to ends and test the fit in the shell.

I then bolted the seat on on to see how it sat.

The cage comes pretty close to my head as it comes along the top of the door opening but I cant really see away around it. Id say I have approx 120mm from my head to the cage in a normal sitting position so padding will be needed for sure. Im 6ft tall and have loads of clearance above me its just pretty close along the door.

Is this sort of head to cage clearance normal?

Before I weld in the seat mount the floor needs derusting so I made a start on that. Once Ive removed as much rust as I can the cleaned up area will be treated with good old Hydrate 80 before then being sprayed with Electrox primer. Im spraying the inside of the shell rather than brushing it on like I have been because realistically it shouldnt need the same amount of protection as the internal parts of the shell and the underside so a thinner coat is required.

Thats it for now.

Rides
    Man, I wish I had the metalwork/fabrication skills you have! I can weld, but that's about it.

Rides
    lookin good Mr Weazle! bet your glad to be working on it again!

Rides
    This weeks update.

I havent had the chance to do too much this week really. First thing I did was get the pipe fittings welded to the header tank and powder coated it.

I then carried on with cleaning up part of the floor so I can weld in the seat rail. I cleaned as much paint and rust off as pos with wire brushes and flapper disks before deciding to remove the old seat mount. Im so glad I did.

After cleaning things up some more it looked like this.

After treating the worst of the pitted parts with Deox gel and treating the bare metal with hydrate 80 I wasnt happy with the amount of pitting where the old seat mount was and a small area on the joint of the floor so I decide that as Im going to be welding up the large round drainage hole I may as well cut out the bad metal and replace it.

The new piece still needs a bit more shaping and trimming before welding in but its not far off.

To finish off I gave the cleaned up are two coats of electrox.

Thats it for now.

Rides
    Great fan skills.That expansion bottle looks mint.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by ianlea73 View Post
    Great fan skills.That expansion bottle looks mint.
    Cheers. I wish I could weld it up myself but we dont weld ali at all so I have to make all the sections and then help the bloke at the factory next door to us to tack it all up how I want it and he welds it up me. Ive started work on the replacement PAS fluid reservoir and will hopefully get that done next week.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by spice_weazle View Post
    Cheers. I wish I could weld it up myself but we dont weld ali at all so I have to make all the sections and then help the bloke at the factory next door to us to tack it all up how I want it and he welds it up me. Ive started work on the replacement PAS fluid reservoir and will hopefully get that done next week.
    lol! spot the typo! it sounds painfull!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by craftygoblin View Post
    lol! spot the typo! it sounds painfull!
    Trust you, you pedant lol

Rides
    couldn't resist!

Rides
    Update from the last few weeks work.

First job was filling in the hole that I cut in the floor.

Ive finished off the seat mount and tacked it in place.

I then bolted the seat in so that I could place the pedal box in the foot well to allow me to work out where the fixings want to go.

I filled some of the holes in the engine bay that are not needed. I want to tidy the welds up a bit before I spray the shell though because they arent the best.

And finally I got the new PAS fluid resevoir made.

Now Im making the mounts for the pedal box and cleaning and cutting rust out as I find it. I need to think about getting the money together for the tube for the cage as well as Im gradually finishing things off and the cage is the only big job left to do now of the fab side of things on the shell.

Rides
    no! why your painting your tanks, so there are a small aluminum polishing is all, really cheer for the tanks they are beautiful <3

Rides
    I'm not polishing them because its not the look I'm after. I have an image in my mind of how everything will look once the shell is painted and textured black is the way to go. ;-)

Rides
    Tanks look much better painted, shiny tanks look very 90's to me. Wish I could weld like you too lol.