Page 59 of 71 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169 ... LastLast
Results 1,161 to 1,180 of 1418

Thread: My S14 Reshell/rufurb/rebuild. Major project so will take a long time.

Rides

My S14 Reshell/rufurb/rebuild. Major project so will take a long time.

I got the rest of the wiring out last night. I had to cut one small cable because I couldn't get the plug through the hole in the bulk head but it is the only cable I've cut in the whole loom so I'm happy.

I thought I'd have a go at getting the rear screen out too. I've tried the rear one first because I already have a spare at work and I'm going plastic anyway so not fussed if it broke. It didn't break and was a lot easier to get out than I expected.

I stared by using a bit of stainless steel mig wire that I threaded through the sealant and it was working very well. I didn't lubricate it enough though and it snapped. So I started cutting at the sealant with a Stanley knife and it started to come out so I carried on and after 20mins of cutting the screen came out.

I'm hoping the front screen is just as easy because it's was only a year old when I took the car off the road and I need it for my new shell.

Rides
    I used that cheese cutter style wire and blocks off ebay was like 8.99 but you need to people or 8 ft arms

Rides
    I've taken the front screen out tonight.

It's still in one piece other than a few chips where the wire cut into the glass on the corners. I don't think it will be a problem though once it's bonded into the new shell.

I've been thinking about temporally fitting the new bumpers and skirts to the old shell to allow me to get the fit sorted so they will be pretty much ready to bolt on to the new shell when it's ready. I'm trying to get as much ready as I can for when the new shell is ready. I'm trying to reduce the time to completion as much as pos.

Rides
    I offered up the front and rear bumpers tonight and it looks like they are going to need quite a bit of work to get them to fit how I want. I'll have to wait though until I've got my over fenders fitted to the new shell though before I start work on the skirts and bumpers. Shame because I wanted to get it roughly fitted on the old shell to save time but it won't work.

I offered up one of my wheels as well in roughly the position they will be to see how it looks.

I'm not liking how much the wheel protrudes out from the bottom of the bumper but I'll more than likely have to live it.

I've also cleaned and treated where the rear bench was in the new shell and will be painting that tomorrow, I have pictures on my camera but that's at work so will have to upload them when I bring it home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides

My new heater has just arrived.

It's small, 280mm x 190mm x 120mm, which is good. Waiting for the distribution plenum to arrive because have non in stock at the mo.

Rides
    I've trial fitted the body panels tonight and there is going to be a hell of a lot work to get a fit that I'm going to be happy with. It's a fooking tight fit on the skirts and the rear bumper is going to need slicing and pulling out around the lights.

It will look good when it's done though, IMO .

The way I'm going to do things is start by fitting the rear quarters and then making the rest to suit. The reason I'm doing it that way is because the rear quarters are not just going over the existing panels, I'm going to be cutting the majority of the existing panel off.

Rides
    Bodykits are always a right pain in the arse to get to fit properly. I only fitted a front lip and had to hack it to bits to achieve a proper fit. On the plus side though, fibreglass is pretty easy to work with. It’s deffo worth going the extra mile at this stage as it will be worth it in the long run

Top job to get the loom out with only 1 cut cable
    Chip in screen will be OK I’m sure but it’s probably best to coat the chip with adhesive before bonding in
    If I were you I would save that flexible goo stuff from around the rear lights, it will come in handy come assembly time

You’re doing a fantastic job, keep up the good work and I’m still following your progress

Pete
    Pete

SXOC Member Number : 317

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrol View Post
    Bodykits are always a right pain in the arse to get to fit properly. I only fitted a front lip and had to hack it to bits to achieve a proper fit. On the plus side though, fibreglass is pretty easy to work with. It’s deffo worth going the extra mile at this stage as it will be worth it in the long run

Top job to get the loom out with only 1 cut cable
    Chip in screen will be OK I’m sure but it’s probably best to coat the chip with adhesive before bonding in
    If I were you I would save that flexible goo stuff from around the rear lights, it will come in handy come assembly time

You’re doing a fantastic job, keep up the good work and I’m still following your progress

Pete
    Cheers Pete I want the kit to look good so Im going to put the time in on it. Ive gone too far to mess all my work on the shell up with a dodgy fitting kit. Ive not worked fibre glass before so Im in the dark when it comes to knowing what to do. Im going to look for a decent book though to help me out with the basics. I want to modify bits on the bumpers so need to learn how to do it.

I really took my time on removing all the wiring because I wanted to keep as standard as possible for when I go through it to decide wether to strip out what I dont want or if I decide to start from scratch Ill use it for the basic layout. The only plug I had to cut was a water proof plug and socket that was in the drivers side arch. There was no way the plug was going through the hole on the bulkhead.

What would you suggest for coating the chip on the edge of the screen with? any Ideas?

Thanks for your kind words of encouragement as usual. If your happy with what Im doing I must be doing things well.
    Last edited by spice_weazle; 21-06-2014 at 07:10.

Rides
    I'm liking it rich very nice

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by -ghost- View Post
    I'm liking it rich very nice
    Nice one cheers.

I have some plans/ideas for the bodykit/body work and hopefully it will come together nicely.

Rides
    Another update for this weeks work. This time for the work done on the 'new' shell.

Ive been taking the interior back to bare metal and treating and cleaning in the same way Ive been doing the rest of the car (clean back to bare metal, treat bare metal with Hydrate 80 and them paint with Electrox primer). Ill be doing pretty much the whole car in the same way.

Got the area under the rear bench done and then started on the drivers side rear panel.

Ive got the derusting/cleaning down to a tee now (IMO) and it doesnt realy take long to do. The rear panel took under 2 hours to clean and treat.

Things are coming along nicely again.

Rides
    Good progress

YHPM

Pete
    Pete

SXOC Member Number : 317

Rides

A small update from last week.

Got the passenger rear side cleaned and painted and made a start on the seat mounts.

I've got an update to do on the body mods too as I've been messing a round with the old shell in my garage but the pics are on my camera so need to upload them. Hopefully get round to doing it tomorrow.

Rides
    Ooo another supermade one, nice!

Rides
    Sorry if you've said, but where did you get the Supermade kit from?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by tompei View Post
    Ooo another supermade one, nice!
    The supermade kit is by far the nicest kit for a zenki IMO. My car is going to be a little different to most supermades though because its going to have a decent splitter and rear diffuser etc. Very track orientated.

Quote Originally Posted by Slamz View Post
    Sorry if you've said, but where did you get the Supermade kit from?
    I got it from EP Racing, its a copy not genuine(hence the fit ). Ive had it sat at work for 3-4 years so dont know if they still do them but Im guessing so.

Rides
    Here's the little update regarding the body work.

Not much to report but Ive been looking at the front wings. Im wanting wider fronts to go with the rears but I dont to just go down the charge speed or rocket bunny route. I dont like the supermade front wings so Im going to do do my own wide fronts by modding the standard wings.

The donor wings cost a grand total of £0 IIRC from my friend Jankes and should look really good when done. Sort of keeps the smooth lines of the zenki front end and the supermade kit.

Rides
    Thanks I'm trying to work out which sideskirts will fit best with a standard 14a front bumper/srpsplitter.

Rides
    Got the passenger seat rails in yesterday. The positioning isn't as good as the drivers side because of the cat hump in the floor. The seat will sit about an inch higher and will be in a more reclined position.

Rides
    Like the work on front wings mate - what was the donor car?