Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Phoning HM Revenue & Customs

Self confessed player of the pink oboe docwra's Avatar
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicely View Post
    The Finns are straight-talking, no-nonsense and very sincere. If they promise something, they do it and expect the same of you. After 27 years in the UK, I find those VERY rare traits.
    Very true - my favourite people to do business with as their word is their bond.
    Quote Originally Posted by scimmy ben
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

Rides
    Or theres the other side of buisness with them, the percieved jobs for life, and no getaup and go to look into new markets as its percieved to much effort despite multi million pound orders waiting!

Sounds just like UK manufacturing about 30 years ago

Rides
    That's very true. They are brilliant innovators but crap marketers.

*thinks* maybe I should go into marketing. I'd make a mint
    Last edited by Nicely; 22-09-2009 at 16:47.

Rides
    You wouldnt, they would repeatedly dismiss you

Rides
    Oh. Ice driving on the frozen lakes is supposedly awesome fun too - one time when I flew into Helsinki you could see tyre tracks on all of the lakes... Not managed to do that yet tho...

Rides
    I've heard told of drving from Helsinki to nearby islands...that's across the Baltic Sea.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicely View Post
    1-2%

Then there's municipal tax (like council tax, I suppose) which is 15-20%, THEN there's income tax at 8.5-31.5%, THEN the health insurance contribution. And VAT is 22%.

That's if you're actually registered to live there. If you're not, they'll fleece you 35% straight PLUS €17 PER DAY before that's deducted. And health insurance if relevant.

Investment income is 28%.
    Had some clarification on all this.

The church tax is only payable if you belong to the main Finnish churches, e.g. Lutheran, Orthodox. It works like an insurance. Where we pay for marriages, christenings, funerals, etc, they have it all paid for. Also they have support from various church organisations which help with housing, health, etc.

The other taxes depend on your earnings. Where it differs is that nearly everyone still submits a tax return and they can claim tax relief on much more stuff than we can. My GF just told me that she pays around 25%, but she isn't in a high earning bracket.
    Last edited by Nicely; 22-09-2009 at 19:21.