Thread: afr (air fuel ratio) gauge... what do i need to install one

Rides

afr (air fuel ratio) gauge... what do i need to install one

looking at putting one in my car.

sorry to sound so dumb, but do i need a new lamba sensor..?

whats all the wideband etc...?

many thanks

Rides
    You need a wideband-kit.. Simple as that.. the one fitted on the car as standard is a narrowband, and basically can't be trusted on a force fed motor...

Rides
    Ks3 or Ks4 from Jez, nice bits of kit and very handy for a bit of road mapping.
    They come with wideband, you will have to wire them into the stock ecu for narrowband duties but its a piece of piss.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Sideways14a View Post
    Ks3 or Ks4 from Jez, nice bits of kit and very handy for a bit of road mapping.
    They come with wideband, you will have to wire them into the stock ecu for narrowband duties but its a piece of piss.
    ecu... ive got a Apex power FC... any one know how to wire one into those?

Rides
    Sorry not the KS3 that Jez's knock sensors (having a blond there), i mean the vems afr gauges he sells.
    The guage has a narrowband output that you wire into the ecu's (or pfc ect) narrowband o2 input, that should be easy enough to find. Then you use some software to configure the vems unit to output the correct voltage.
    Tis quite nifty.
    Ohh and buy a ks3 as well anyway for knock detection

Rides
    Sorry not the KS3 that Jez's knock sensors (having a blond there), i mean the vems afr gauges he sells.
    The guage has a narrowband output that you wire into the ecu's (or pfc ect) narrowband o2 input, that should be easy enough to find. Then you use some software to configure the vems unit to output the correct voltage.
    Tis quite nifty.
    Ohh and buy a ks3 as well anyway for knock detection
    off topic:

but my power fc already has knock detection....

Rides
    I wouldnt be relying on that.....

Rides
    i wouldnt waste money on a knock sensor anyway. get it mapped properly and that will be the only time you need a knock sensor - the mapper will have one and if they are doing a proper job, and you dont go and fiddle with things, it will be fine!

sprout.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout View Post
    i wouldnt waste money on a knock sensor anyway. get it mapped properly and that will be the only time you need a knock sensor - the mapper will have one and if they are doing a proper job, and you dont go and fiddle with things, it will be fine!

sprout.

Rides

sprout.
    Until something starts to fail or you get a bad batch of fuel. A knock monitor isn't necessarily going to save your engine but it should hopefully give you some advance warning.

Rides
    the AEM UEGO is the best IMHO value and reliable.. it has a configureable output 0-5v which you feed to your FC Dataloggit box to log fuelling while tuning.

as for knock detection-- stethoscope and hose with a metal tube banged flat bolted the the head is as good as any knockbox equipment.. ive mapped with both.. and far prefer hearing actual noise..

to back up this theory..
    a piston from my ca.. tuned on det cans to the limit... unmarked..

Rides
    How much are wideband with everything done, ie mapped up etc.

Cheers Aj

Rides

sprout.
    Cant agree with that at all, a knock sensor on a high spec build is another safety net even if your not mapping yourself.
    Just one batch of iffy fuel and 20+psi will put a hole in a piston in no time, with a knock sensor you at least stand a chance of getting a bit of warning.

Rides
    well a widenband is around the 180quid mark you can find some cheaper if you hunt (usa)

Rides
    Cant agree with that at all, a knock sensor on a high spec build is another safety net even if your not mapping yourself.
    Just one batch of iffy fuel and 20+psi will put a hole in a piston in no time, with a knock sensor you at least stand a chance of getting a bit of warning.
    if it knocks.. its over... nuff said???

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by martinbattye View Post
    if it knocks.. its over... nuff said???
    Not really, you have different levels of knock. Mild knock thats picked up early on in the rev range will could save you a piston.
    I have a ks3 and its great, ok i use it for mapping with the VEMS unit but on a decent spec car a good knock sensor is a great safety net in my opinion. Same with a wideband.

Rides
    i have mapped with both and dont trust/like the KS3, its a good back up tho.

by knock i mean the really pretty fullboost high revs cyl destroying stuff. lol