Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The NB, where my mortgage deposit went

Rides

The NB, where my mortgage deposit went

I have been on here for a while now and have finally decided its time to show you what ive been getting upto

This is my project Mazda MX5 NB. I moved into my inlaws 4 years ago in May, with the intention of saving for a mortgage deposit, and this is where it has all been spent

I bought her back in February 2007 as a bog standard windy window, non central locking, 1.6 with 50500 on the clock. The only 'modification' I could see was the nasty wooden dash and gear knob kit. But was pleased with the leather seats.

This I promptly removed and replaced for a nice brushed aluminium effect dash kit and mx5 gaitor

Followed by some nice sill plates

And a 'fashion' bar

Some clear reflectors and repeaters

Now shes looking a bit better

A mesh grill and sticky number plate made all the difference

I then purchased some 16"sport wheels and sprayed them Gunmetal Grey and some mud guards

This was followed by the new mohair hood and rear lights

Then came the Rota GT3's, side skirts and spoiler

I bought myself a hardtop for christmas

My most recent work is still to come

Rides
    Very nice Nikki this has come on such a long way since i have known youself keep up the good work..

Rides
    I have done lots of other things which include

Installing electric windows
    Central locking
    KYB adjustable suspension and Eibach spring

I am sure there are lots of things I have forgotten

Rides
    Ok and now for the good stuff the TURBO install

I finally decided the way to go was to install a turbo, so have been saving up the parts for the past 6 months or so. Here is the progress

I bought myself a manifold which I thought was for a T25/28 but it turned out to be for the Mitsubishi TD04 type, I thought about sending it back but in the end decided to stick with it. Seeing as I do alot of around town driving, I wanted the boost to arrive quite low down, so decided on a relatively small TD04-13G.

I then got to work ordering an intercooler which I got for £60 from the states, oil feed/return, water lines, washer bottle, oil catch tank, Apexi air filter and intercooler pipework. For management I got myself an Emanage Blue. I also got a 52mm boost gauge to fit in my 'eye ball vent'. I did have some trouble finding a downpipe for a Mk2 but got the flange needed to fit upto the turbo and took it to my mate, who is a pretty good welder

After reading all the manuals about installing turbos to 5's I wasnt too keen on the technique, where you drill the sump in situ!, I decided the best option was to remove the sump and get the return welded on properly.

The downpipe

On went the manifold and turbo

The intercooler

Now she's starting to come together

The rest of the pipe work starts to take shape. I did get some blue hose with the intercooler, but they were crap so decided on some nice red hoses instead

Rides

Rides
    Aerial, and clear brake light (which I forgot to mention earlier)

Intercooler

This is where I decided to put my boost gauge

A nice clean and empty boot (with first aid kit and tyre repair foam)

Nearly finished downpipe

Some of the engine bay and turbo. As you can see I have been busy with the hoses and wire wrap.

Rides
    Some shots I took at easter with Pablo13

Rides
    A little link to the tuning and dyno

MX52T

Rides
    Front lip spoiler, courtesy of Pablo13

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty_s13 View Post
    Very nice Nikki this has come on such a long way since i have known youself keep up the good work..

Thanks Scott, likewise

Rides
    and how does it behave turbo'ed ?

Rides
    ****ing awesome , only has 177bhp at the moment, and the boost comes in very low down around 2k. Will over time be making so more modifications for extra power
    Last edited by nikki746; 10-09-2009 at 20:01.

Rides
    Another little modification. I swore that after this I would never sand and polish another thing ever again, it took ages but well worth it I think

from this to this

I also decided that the Lexus rear lights had to go for some standard mk2.5 ones

And a little Kuromi to my rear tow hook

Rides
    Me and Pablo13 spent the whole of the bank holiday weekend, sanding down and polishing my cam cover, which still needs a good going over with the metal polish but its getting there

Also note my little 'Ghey' sticker, which I thought was rather appropriate considering the MX5's reputation

Last edited by nikki746; 10-09-2009 at 19:48.

Rides
    Looking very good Nikki alot of good and hard work gone on this little car one of the best about i'v seen..

Rides
    Since having done the turbo conversion, the standard clutch has been badly slipping so after alot of research I decided on a Flyin Miata FM Level 1 clutch from the States

I had also along the way developed a bit of a blow in the downpipe, an oil leak and the turbo had started to come away from the manifold, as we had not yet got round to making any supports for the turbo. As you can imagine this was making her drive like utter crap and I had pretty much no boost

So down the garage she went on Thursday, where it was discovered that not only did I have a blow in the downpipe, and turbo issues, but the manifold had also cracked in a number of places due to the weight of the un-supported turbo and also my bad cheap ebay buy

Arriving at the garage at 12pm on Saturday, I thought she would be ready to drive home, but no, me and Pablo13 finally got home at 2am Sunday morning, super tired

But after a very long day we had made a great deal of progress i.e. fitted the new clutch, re-welded the downpipe, fitted the new gaskets, supported and welded the manifold, fixed the oil leak and an oil change.

A big to Pablo13 and 'the man at the garage' for all their hard work, she is now finally back to being a little beast and I love it

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty_s13 View Post
    Looking very good Nikki alot of good and hard work gone on this little car one of the best about i'v seen..
    Ah thanks Scott Yes lots and lots of hard work by all parties I think Still a lot more things on the list that I want to do as usual

Rides
    thats a sweet little motor i love mx5s just too big to drive 1 plus they're a girls car

Rides
    Its not that girly, especially not with the turbo on it now

Rides
    Nice... Very neat install - mines a postive mess compared. Although for some weird reason it looks like there's more room in the NB engine bay compared to the NA...

Anyway. Get that boost wound up a bit more - plenty left in 'er