Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: My latest attempt at a do everything solution to my constant car swapping

Self confessed player of the pink oboe docwra's Avatar
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Evilchap View Post
    Never be late for a blue rinse again
    Bollocks does he ever visit a hairdresser.
    Quote Originally Posted by scimmy ben
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by docwra View Post
    Bollocks does he ever visit a hairdresser.
    Nope, 6monthly trim by the misses with her eyes closed Hairdressers always cut the love fro too short.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Madda View Post
    SHE RUNS, a month late but, SHE RUNS !!

OMFG, An Mx5, r888's, a big fat supercharger and some country lanes

I'm currently running in the engine, so only rev'ingup to about 5k, but even with that short rev range, its incredible.

Sounds like great fun

Ex Mod & Crabbit C**t Rubix_Cube's Avatar
    Rides
    Good news to here it lives bud.

The 180 Problems have surfaced Head gasket has gone between 3 and 4.

Rides
    Good news mate

The S13 saved the day then!!

So how would you think a Turbo'd one would compare? I'd guess that the 'charged engine should have better driveability being more linear, but do you get the same sort of kick?

The brother-in-law took me out in his XKR and it was definately quick, but very progressive, and not really in yer face. Not that an XKR would be, but it was first ride in a supercharged car

Debating what to do with mine, can see the turbo route being cheaper, but a 'charger would be a nice change Enjoying it as it is for now though

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Hallsy View Post
    So how would you think a Turbo'd one would compare? I'd guess that the 'charged engine should have better driveability being more linear, but do you get the same sort of kick?
    Before you make the investment either way, I would say its worth the drive up and you can have a go in mine anytime. I am loving the supercharger at the moment, the low end power is great, especially for casual sliding

I dont think it will ever be as quick as a 240bhp turbo one, but driveability is really good. Also, even though I am running in, and on an uninvestigated map, it still did 25mpg, compared to the 30 wyou would get out of a standard one. Considering I am constantly going up and down the rev range I dont see that as half bad

Anyway, on to the new bits! Big thaks to Ben/Evilchap @ Rare Rims for sorting me out a blinding deal on these wheels. I really found it hard to find the right wheels for the car, and now they are on, I think I made the right choice, I love um. Also tidied up engine, and interior a bit, so here are a few pics

Last edited by Madda; 19-09-2009 at 20:07. Reason: Spelling/typing

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Madda View Post
    Before you make the investment either way, I would say its worth the drive up and you can have a go in mine anytime. I am loving the supercharger at the moment, the low end power is get, especially for casual sliding

I dont think it will ever be as quick as a 240bhp turbo one, but driveability is really good.
    Feel free to do the same in mine too... It's only an iddy biddy gt2554R, but there's no lag, boost from 1800RPM... It goes quite well It's almost the same power delivery as a supercharger due to the tiddly turbo..

Rides
    Looking very nice mate, wheels look great

I quite like these myself Are they T1R's they're shod with?

Wonder about some wider wheels for mine, but think I'll stick with these until I at least need some new tyres.

One thing I will say though - maybe sort out the lights, and get rid of the little fogs

EDIT: Did you get the paint mate?

Rides
    Looking very nice mate, wheels look great

I quite like these myself Are they T1R's they're shod with?

Wonder about some wider wheels for mine, but think I'll stick with these until I at least need some new tyres.

One thing I will say though - maybe sort out the lights, and get rid of the little fogs

EDIT: Did you get the paint mate?
    I got the paint mate, many thanks

Tyres are T1R's, 195/50/15, and the best bit is, for some reason they are cheaper than budgets at the moment . I paid under £28 per tyre for them!!!

Your car works mate, I thought about swapping the wheels on it, but the BBS on there really do make the car look unstated yet cool as fcuk, I wouldnt be looking to swap them if I was you.

Rear lights - when i got the car I HATED them with a passion, but as time has gone on, they have grown on me a bit. I'm not 100% convinced, but they will do for now. Keeping my eye out for a set like yours, then will swap them around and have a think. Let me know if you see any cheap

Fogs - function over form They are bringhter than the main beams and have been wired so that I can have them on like normal fogs, or have them so they only come on when my full beams are on. Makes for excellent lane driving and no need for HID's.

Rides
    Cool

Must admit, I looked through the receipts on mine, and Dave looks like he only paid about that for T1R's also. The joys of 15" ownership

I'd only be looking at dishy BBS' I reckon, but I remember how much of a pain polished lips can be. But then I do keep looking at Work Equip 03's as well, but the missus hates them!!

Fair play on the fogs mate, I suppose the std candle powered lights aren't all that!!

Fiddling with the stereo on mine today, seems to be nothing there to fit too, can you remember how Dave's HU was fitted? Must have been some type of bracket in there?

Rides
    T1R's are Budgets with good advertising Madda... I wore a set out on the S2000 within 2 months LOL Hence it came with the 17s and the Goodyears

Cars looking really good.

Rides
    Just means they're a bit soft mate, I wore a set of Eagle F1's out pretty quickly on my S13 and they are far from budget.

Budget tyres imo usually have little grip and last forever.

Rides
    yeah My mate done a direct comparison between F1's and T1R's. Eagle's were £4 dearer (on 17s) and the F1's felt a WHOLE lot better.

Hopefully you'll still have it next weekender Would like to see what a FI MX-5 is like.

Rides
    Liking those When I was fitting the tyres for you with my own hands I wasn't certain on the polished lip with your car, but seeing those pics they look really good

Rides
    Fiddling with the stereo on mine today, seems to be nothing there to fit too, can you remember how Dave's HU was fitted? Must have been some type of bracket in there?
    I have 2 bits of metal here that may prove of use to you Sorry

On the subject of my rear lights, I just won a standard set off eBay for £13 so I will swap them over soon and see of I can decide.

Today I am having the exhaust sorted, and some mods to my intercooler piping

Rides
    Cool - do you think you could send them on to me? Saves me making up my own

Rear lights on yours are growing on me, a lot better than some of the other aftermarket ones you see. Although I'm happy enough with the std ones

Bought another set of seats for mine last night

Rides
    No probs.

What seats did you get? What you doing with the Elise ones?

Rides
    I bought a pair of Sparco Sprints (not the latest design), as they pretty much go straight onto the stock runners.

I made up a bracket for the passenger Elise one as test fit and to see how low I could get it. Fit was pretty good, a lot lower, although the wing did hit the rollbar so you couldn't get it all the way back. I could maybe solve that by mounting it more upright (didn't really want to), or moving it inwards a bit (better option).

Anyway, I'd left it at that for a bit while I was polishing it, then we went out in it and Jane moaned about the Elise seat being really uncomfortable!! She said she was getting pains in here hips & arse after just a few miles!!

So, basically I've bought the Sparco's as they should be comfier, but will depend on position.

I thought about cutting some foam out of the originals, as I just feel like I'm sitting on them, not in them, plus they give me back ache

I'll come to a decision one way or another!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Madda
    Mapped to 12.5:1 moving towards 11.5:1 at 5k rpm + it made 180bhp 150ft/lb. I am more than happy with that and hope to hit the magic 200bhp when my 150mm overlay pulley is fitted (plus a colder ambient temp will help)

Here is the graph:

and a quick very crap video.

Should get the overlay pulley sorted over the next few weeks then will be back up there for some more tweaking and another power run
    Quote Originally Posted by VIDAL BABBOON View Post
    How is the torque so erratic ?

Thought it would be a perfect curve with a charger ?
    Mainly due to the crappy management I am running....and experimenting. I am unfortunately running greddy e-manage blue that only lets you adjust timing and fuelling in 500rpm intervals. This means that its moving a bit at these changeover points. BUT in reality, this 'erratic' looking graph is at a very tight scale, so the jumps in the earlier part of the rev range only represent a difference of 1 or 2 ft/lbs of torque from the line of best fit.

The bigger concern is the drop off of torque after its peak. I believe this is due to my silent restrictive exhaust, but as this car is a daily (and a very comfortable one at that) I won’t be changing it for a less restrictive exhaust which will inevitably make more noise.

The main thing is, it’s safely fuelled and conservatively timed for longitivity....plus, its a little fooking rocket and I love the drive and power delivery!!

I am going to try and resist making this one silly and keep it as it is, besides the addition of the other pulley to hopefully make 200bhp in a few weeks.

She was treated to an Apline single din DVD player this morning

Rides
    Ahhhh that would explain it