Page 55 of 122 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765105 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,100 of 2432

Thread: My constant work in progress 14a with added jdm'ness!!!

Rides
    Looking sweet mate, glad to see that your seeing better results.. but fair play for all the niggles your taking on.

Smiths14a has been banging on at me to read the whole of this thread now for a while - as Im massively keen for 3a... at last now I can tell him I have read it!!!
    started collecting the bits... and may have a Protuner session booked... :S Any hints or tips for turbo changing? apart from "get someone else to do it"! lol

Oh and in case you dont recodnise me Im the Saphire 14a Paul put up on his facebook page with the carbon etc...

Cheers,
    Tom.

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Hi mate, don't worry I figured out who you were I still can't comment on quite how quick a full stage 3a car is as I don't think mine has run full power yet due to a number of reasons which I'm still trying to sort

I followed the guide in the thread linked below to change the turbo, the 14a is slightly different to the s14 but it will give you a good idea of what you need to do

http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=148031
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Today I decided to remove my turbo and set about sorting my blowing gasket. This is what I was confronted with after I stipped it all down.

Not happy. Looks like I'm going to have to drill out the sheared stud as well as one of the others which seems to be only just hanging on.

I think this may have been caaused by the poor fitment on my japspeed superlow downpipe putting pressure on the turbo I might try rotating the de-cat to see if this helps matters
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    More pics from today. Please excuse the rocker cover

Rides
    Gazebo ftw !

If two of the studs are weak and they are all of the same age id be highly debating wether to replace them all tbh

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    The others are solid tbh. I'm sure is the downpipe that cause this as I had to pretty much force it on when I fitted it

Might fit my old one back on for now

Rides
    Not liking this, mine is blowing also.

Also got the japspeed twin which twists my full system.

Rides
    How annoying not just a leaky gasket then, how did you fit the down pipe? Did you bolt everything in place and then tighten it all up so you didnt have stress in the system (if that makes sense). Smaller bolts helps with this as you have some movement then in the system when it doesnt quiet line up.

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Tbh I did the down pipe to elbow up tight and then man handled the cat/down pipe in to place.

The studs have now been replaced and welded in place thanks to my Dad The main problem I have now is that the mounting face to the block seems to be warped. I'm sure it would pull up true with no problem but i'm still half tempted to re-fit my standard mani to avoid all of these issues

Rides
    Get the standard manifold on It surely can't make that much difference at only 340ish bhp

Rides
    My old ones mounting surface had Warped slightly, quick go over with a belt sander soon flatted it off- made it perfect!

I would definatly re use your old downpipe though, just to avoid any further rattles/fitment problems!

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Marsden View Post
    Get the standard manifold on It surely can't make that much difference at only 340ish bhp
    It may not but the way the cars acting I need all the help I can get with regards to power

Quote Originally Posted by samcash88 View Post
    My old ones mounting surface had Warped slightly, quick go over with a belt sander soon flatted it off- made it perfect!
    Just done this. Their was a high point in the middle leaving a 1mm gap a each end when checking it against a flat milling machine table. We have left a slight bow in i as it will pull out a little when it's tightened up

On another note the studs are also now fixed but in the process the heat wrap got damaged so I've had to make a rough looking repair to that

And a picture of my new sticker for the haters

Rides
    your not having much luck with this stage 3a malarky are you dude. If it makes you feel any better, i did'nt have a clue what i was doing so i gave it to jez to fit all my bits with a load of hard earned, and i still had a gasket go to not long after, 8months or so. current one has been a lot more resilent (mad grasp for wood). When its working right it will be worth it

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    I'm starting to wish that i'd got someone else to do the work as well tbh

Thi is how it stands at the moment

Re-connect the oil drain and fit a downpipe and i'm good to go all being well

Not bad for an 1 1/2 hours work

Down in the foam, playing with the string...
    Rides
    I'd fit a slightly longer hose to your boost controller mate. That looks a bit stretched I've had one fairly taut and it split right where it connected to the cold pipe nipple. They are now lengthened so there's some slack in them so as not to stress the hose at all.

It also looks like the hose is a little on the small size. IIRC mine are 4mm ID - yours looks stretched over the nipples.

Haha! I said "nipple" twice in one post

Rides
    Looking nearly done mate! Time to enjoy?

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Joey200sx View Post
    Looking nearly done mate! Time to enjoy?
    All back together and it's now worse than ever. ****ing car. I'm at the end of my tether with it now. Actually contemplating selling the damn thing as this is getting stupid. I'm on holiday this week and quite frankly I can think oc better things to be doing than working on a rusty old pos datsun

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    I've refitted everything but didn't use a new gasket as the old one looked perfect and better than the POS new one I have. It sounds so much worse now than it did before I started the job

I don't know how you do it. I've literally but blood sweat and tears in to this project and I honestly don't think its worth it any more. Nothing ever works. I'm not even sure I can be bothered going at the weekend anymore

Rides
    Mate, it's easy... go drive you landrover until you get stuck behind an old dorris, then you motivation will come back

I suspect the various flanges may no longer be flat