Page 5 of 122 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Thread: My constant work in progress 14a with added jdm'ness!!!

Down in the foam, playing with the string...
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Chriscooke View Post

I'll also have to replace the front balljoint and steering rod arm. Is that an easy job or a pita?
    By ball joint, I assume you mean track rod end? Easy peasy (once I spoke to Chris - welsh mod/mot dude ) job that took me over an hour to do the first as I couldn't get the bastid thing undone (then realised I was trying to unscrew it the wrong way ) and less than 15 mins to do the second as I know how it was done.

Why do you need to replace the steering rod arm

And I want more shiny blue arms under my car!! Just 2 pairs of rear ones to go - got the rest

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Teggers, I need to replace a tie rod end and the ball joint on the lower contol arm mate. Can see them in this pic I nicked off one of Evilchaps posts.

Their seems to be a lot of play in both so will need changing asap

I am sure that you will get the arms at some point but I know full well you have other priorities at the moment with bodywork/wheels etc, oh and a baby
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Down in the foam, playing with the string...
    Rides
    The light blue bits? Thats what I've just replaced. They were ~£40 each from ALS. Helped tremendously. Only 1 of mine was worn but I replaced both anyway.

BTW, On the S14, the ball joint and rod end is all 1 piece

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Teggers View Post

BTW, On the S14, the ball joint and rod end is all 1 piece
    Yeah I know the tie rod end is all one piece

It's the main ball joint that holds the front hub on that is very worn on mine The tie rod has some play in it also tho
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides

My constant work in progress 14a with added jdm'ness!!!

Few pics from our last south west meet at Route 38

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Can anyone tell me where the best place to get a new ball joint for the lower control arm (dark blue in the pic)? I need to replace mine asap

Rides
    think apex do them or a local motor factors, or get the driftworks lower arms and never do it again

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by crouch-21 View Post
    think apex do them or a local motor factors, or get the driftworks lower arms and never do it again
    I'm kinda hoping that someone will point me in the direction of cheap online place that sells them

Don't fancy the driftworks lower arms as I really don't need the adjustment they give and they need a bit of maintaining

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Chriscooke View Post
    Can anyone tell me where the best place to get a new ball joint for the lower control arm (dark blue in the pic)? I need to replace mine asap

I may have got this completely wrong but the ball joint looked pressed into the lower arm when I had my front suspension in bits. I would phone Nissan to see if the ball joint is available separately. My guess is you have to buy the lot. What’s the mileage? I’m a bit surprised it's fecked Has the gaiter split?
    Pete

SXOC Member Number : 317

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrol View Post
    I may have got this completely wrong but the ball joint looked pressed into the lower arm when I had my front suspension in bits. I would phone Nissan to see if the ball joint is available separately. My guess is you have to buy the lot. What’s the mileage? I’m a bit surprised the bottom ball joint is fecked Has the gaiter split?
    I have heard that it can be seperated but could well be wrong I do have access to a basic old press tho which could come in handy. The milage is 80k at present.

It has definatley gone as when you hold on to the front hub you can move the entire unit a fair amount. I didn't think to check the gaiter I must admit

Rides
    im lead to believe nissan wont sell you the ball joint you have to buy the lot at about 400 knicker iirc, thats why the driftworks ones work out alot better vaule for money, especially if you plan on running coilovers

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by crouch-21 View Post
    im lead to believe nissan wont sell you the ball joint you have to buy the lot at about 400 knicker iirc, thats why the driftworks ones work out alot better vaule for money, especially if you plan on running coilovers
    I would go for the nismo ones over the driftworks ones I think to be fair anyway Still not adjustable but new and shiney none the less

Rides
    Im pretty sure you can get them most places chap (autoquip, unipart etc). Moog ones wont be that much more though

Should just hammer out and then press back in

Rides
    Ball joint splitter would be the beast to use for this right? Hammer is in there and it'll life the joint out right?

Rides
    A ball joint splitter will split the ball joint from the lower control arm to the knuckle. Removing the ball joint from the front lower control arm however might be a different kettle of fish. Anyone done it?
    Pete

SXOC Member Number : 317

Rides
    I have an s14 arm and a press, I will have a go at work for you tomorrow, I don't mind popping yours out for you, but I'll have a go on my own first too see what's up. I think the ball joints are held in with a circlip anyways.

Rides
    im pretty sure that the balljoint can be pressed out and bren sells a replacement balljoint only, in fact im certain he can get them as he just had all his lower arms powder coated and in the pics he had removed the balljoints, so he must have new ones to fit that he can supply

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Evilchap View Post
    Ball joint splitter would be the beast to use for this right? Hammer is in there and it'll life the joint out right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrol View Post
    A ball joint splitter will split the ball joint from the lower control arm to the knuckle. Removing the ball joint from the front lower control arm however might be a different kettle of fish. Anyone done it?
    We have a ball joint slitter so if I need one thats all sorted

Quote Originally Posted by Swiftmini View Post
    I have an s14 arm and a press, I will have a go at work for you tomorrow, I don't mind popping yours out for you, but I'll have a go on my own first too see what's up. I think the ball joints are held in with a circlip anyways.
    If you could have a look to see how it's done that would be fantastic mate

Quote Originally Posted by DeanS15 View Post
    im pretty sure that the balljoint can be pressed out and bren sells a replacement balljoint only, in fact im certain he can get them as he just had all his lower arms powder coated and in the pics he had removed the balljoints, so he must have new ones to fit that he can supply

Cheers mate. I posted a thread in the apex section so should find out soon hopefully

Rides
    I did one in my lunch break, I would say it was a piece of cake but it was more like a whole cake. Took less than 30seconds I reckon.

Just remove the circlip and the press it out. You maybe lucky and do it in a vice, but I have access to presses if you need.

Cheers

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Swiftmini View Post
    I did one in my lunch break, I would say it was a piece of cake but it was more like a whole cake. Took less than 30seconds I reckon.

Just remove the circlip and the press it out. You maybe lucky and do it in a vice, but I have access to presses if you need.

Cheers
    Ha ha cheers mate. We have an old press here (screw type thing) which should be up to the job. Will have to get the arm off first tho I guess thats the interesting bit