Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How many people have fire extinguishers in thier cars?

Rides

How many people have fire extinguishers in thier cars?

I keep meaning to get one, but never do. Can anyone recommend a good brand?

These pics have reminded me how much I need one (caused by a shorted battery)

Before:

After:

Rides
    Poor Datsun

Got a full size carbon dioxide one in the thunderbird, but will replace it with a big foam one once I pick them up from work

I've got a small one but I can't see it putting out any considerable fire, hence why I have a fullsized one in the car

Rides
    i have one, dw do a good one cheep

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Damo View Post
    dw do a good one cheep
    Don't take this the wrong way but how do you know it's a good one? Is it good because of the price, size or ability to extinguish?

Rides
    ^^^thats awful, good idea to keep one. Since fitting my Walbro i keep a foam one in the back

Rides
    oh man , that horrible ....

have extinguishers in both my cars. cheap and will save you car .

Rides
    I have a first aid kit and fireblanket in my car don't know where they came from will they help ?

Think ill invest in a proper extinguisher now

Rides
    Always carry one in any vehicle. The vitara had two full sized in the back, purely because i didnt trust myself, when offroading not to tip, with a carb engine thats hot, fuel everywhere, it worried me! I tend to carry a small on under my seat in all cars, but i have plumbed in one in my old track car. Maybe its worth me checking more about them

Rides
    I don't but I will to get one as soon the car moves again. These are mandatory in Colombia (or Venezuela ?).
    Then they say it's third world there.

Rides
    I do and I HAVE USED IT !!!

Its the Driftworks one, which is a Pro2000 from memory so a proper decent brand. I got the small 2.5kg one I think it is with 2 nozzles, but since the car went up in flames at Snett I will at some point upgrade to the larger system with 4 nozzles, although got mine refilled straight after we fixed the damage !!

Certainly worth it, and I will be getting at least the 2 nozzle one fitted in every fast car I own in the future.

J.

Rides
    We have a nice 2 kilo one, but they're never going to stop a fire like the one posted, just small startings from electric shorts maybe if you can get it quick enough - i.e, in the cab, but they're mainly for putting your bollocks out in the case of a cabin fire.

We had a fire like the one above at an event once, it took every fire extinguisher the competitiors had, every extinguisher the marshals had, plus a hose from an outlet to put it out, that was ~75, 2kg extinguishers...

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by BuggyofDoom View Post
    We have a nice 2 kilo one, but they're never going to stop a fire like the one posted, just small startings from electric shorts maybe if you can get it quick enough - i.e, in the cab, but they're mainly for putting your bollocks out in the case of a cabin fire.

We had a fire like the one above at an event once, it took every fire extinguisher the competitiors had, every extinguisher the marshals had, plus a hose from an outlet to put it out, that was ~75, 2kg extinguishers...
    As above. portable ones kept in the cabin are there to get you the f*ck out of there asap. If your car or bay go up, then unless you have a fully plumbed in system you can kiss goodbye to it.

Rides
    I used to carry an extinguisher and first aid kit at all times primarily because my rally marshal training taught me to. Its worth doing HOWEVER as a word of warning, get training on how to extinguish a fire properly. Don't forget that cars will release toxic fumes when burning, you have a fluid risk that may splash back at you etc. I have dealt with rally cars on fire and it is not easy . You are NOT a fire fighter so don't try and be one

Rides
    I need to get hold of one today

Do you think halfords sell em? What kind of effectiveness would a 1kg extinguisher have on a fire anyway? thats not much really is it ?
    Last edited by Deacon; 10-07-2009 at 05:49.

Rides
    I have a small one on a bracket just behind the central arm rest. Its not big enough to put a big fire out but will help with the start of one and hopefully stop one before it gets too strong.

Rides
    Halfords certainly used to sell them.

A 1KG extinguisher will only work on a pretty small fire. If you are concerned of an engine fire, I would strongly recommend that you do not get a hand held unit, rather get a plumbed in unit, from memory when I was looking to prep a car for Rally they were relatively cheap. You do not necessarily need to do the external trigger point for a personal car.

Car fires will grow in size very rapidly, a car can ALWAYS be replaced whereas a person cannot. NEVER try any heroic's. One of the first things that you get told with regards to a car fire is under no circumstances open the bonnet as this will just give the fire a big source of oxygen.

If you do get one please ensure you mount it in a solid manner as the last thing you want is for it to roll around, knock the top off and discharge as you are driving along.

I have dealt with a couple of fires, this being one of them:

There was no point in discharging the extinguisher we had as it would have been like peeing in the wind, so we just called for the boys in a big red truck. This car took a matter of about 2 minutes to end up in that state.

Remember, know your limits, small cockpit fire yeah you may catch with a small hand held device. Always call 999 as they can ensure that the vehicle is safe and paramedics can at least check you over.

I am NOT a firefighter and I would strongly advise you take a trip to your local fire station and seek advice from the guys who do this stuff day in day out.

Rides
    I have a plumbed in twin nozzle on the s13, one nozzle over the manifold area (as that's where I've seen most sr20 fires occur) and one pointed at my gonads... Because they are valuable to me!

Rides
    I have 1 in the car and 1 in the boot! as said though,if its an engine fire,it'll probably still be curtains

You only need two tools in life - wd-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the wd-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.

And if you can't fix it with a hammer,you've got an electrical problem!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by mandelbug View Post
    Halfords certainly used to sell them.

A 1KG extinguisher will only work on a pretty small fire. If you are concerned of an engine fire, I would strongly recommend that you do not get a hand held unit, rather get a plumbed in unit, from memory when I was looking to prep a car for Rally they were relatively cheap. You do not necessarily need to do the external trigger point for a personal car.

Car fires will grow in size very rapidly, a car can ALWAYS be replaced whereas a person cannot. NEVER try any heroic's. One of the first things that you get told with regards to a car fire is under no circumstances open the bonnet as this will just give the fire a big source of oxygen.

If you do get one please ensure you mount it in a solid manner as the last thing you want is for it to roll around, knock the top off and discharge as you are driving along.

I have dealt with a couple of fires, this being one of them:

There was no point in discharging the extinguisher we had as it would have been like peeing in the wind, so we just called for the boys in a big red truck. This car took a matter of about 2 minutes to end up in that state.

Remember, know your limits, small cockpit fire yeah you may catch with a small hand held device. Always call 999 as they can ensure that the vehicle is safe and paramedics can at least check you over.

I am NOT a firefighter and I would strongly advise you take a trip to your local fire station and seek advice from the guys who do this stuff day in day out.

Good advice.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jord View Post
    and one pointed at my gonads... Because they are valuable to me!
    LOL!!

Better not be a Carbon Dioxiode, or you will end up putting them into cryostasis..

Back to subject.. I have also got one.. got it from my last work, where all our trucks where fitted with them.. used one once... on a moped that had caught fire in the middle of the street.. got a good litle tipping there!

But will be taking a trip to the local firedepartment and hear what advice they have for effectively putting out a car on fire..
    Last edited by Kim2770; 10-07-2009 at 07:17.