Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Rb30 s13

Rides

Rb30 s13

Well where do i start? I suppose i should give some background to myself and the car.

I joined in 2004 after buying a car off a user on here, unfortunetly i got stung and within weeks i was in the process of rebuilding the engine, This is where my slippery slope began.

a few months later and a few k worse off the engine was rebuilt and i was back on cloud 9. After a month or 2 of running in it was time to get some powaz into the engine and get a chance to actualy enjoy the car id spent so much on.

this is how she looked at the time:

unfortunetly within months she looked like this:

a car pulled out infront of me and i just couldnt stop in time

not to worry tho, within weeks a new shell had been sourced in bournemouth and was winging its way to glasgow. The shell was a mint "m" reg shell (one of the last s13 ones made if my reckonings correct) and i got it for a bargain price.
    unfortunetly at the same time as getting the new shell i also found myself in the possession of a credit card, so with the new card in one hand and Brens phone number in the other i went on a bit of a spending mission. The new shell was treated to a new intercooler, carbon bonnet and carbon tailgate. This was quickly followed by Tross's old turbo setup (a monster hks3037s top mount manifold and external wastegate) this lot were also accompanied by Phil Morrisons old meisters and some jun arches

Rides
    epic wheels mate!!!

Rides
    lovin that

more pics

Rides
    The car was mapped with the new setup and made 346bhp at the wheels at around 1.6bar of boost, the thing was immense i was finally getting the enjoyment out the car that i had wanted for over 2 years.

the car ran for the next 6 months like this,

it frightened a few grannies into an early grave with the screamer pipe, it also put the frighteners up some other drivers who thought of it as just an old green datsun.
    when the tax was up i put her away for the winter and planned to do a we bit here and there just to tidy up the engine bay and get under her with some POR15 and clean up the floors before any rust took hold.
    The Engine was pulled out to allow me to clean up the engine bay,

It was at this point that a friend and fellow sx'er calum (prozac) mentioned the words "just look at that engine bay, Ill bet an RB would look great in there"

This is the moment that started me on the 2nd slippery slope...
    Last edited by big_mac; 06-07-2009 at 18:57.

Rides
    so wheres this RB30 then

Rides
    Looks lovely mate good luck with this one..

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Nashio966 View Post
    epic wheels mate!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricey View Post
    lovin that

more pics
    theres more to come

so wheres this RB30 then
    give me time to type it

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty_s13 View Post
    Looks lovely mate good luck with this one..
    thanks matey

Rides
    So with the idea of an RB in my head i went looking on the internet for the details about whats involved in the swap, I wanted something different to the normal RB25 conversions and even the odd RB26, i eventually found an RB30 engine on driftworks which had been supplied originally by RIPS in NZ.

Rides
    epic wheels mate!!!
    lovin that

more pics
    as requested

Rides
    god your wheels rock

i aslo love the colour of your car. i have never seen that green respray ?
    Last edited by Ricey; 07-07-2009 at 07:14.

Rides
    About time you started a project thread mate, you need to get this beast sorted

Rides
    Yep you can just tell this cars gonna be awesome already! What exactly is the rb30 engine? Wheres it from? Always wondered!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by samcourtney86 View Post
    Yep you can just tell this cars gonna be awesome already! What exactly is the rb30 engine? Wheres it from? Always wondered!
    isnt it a 3 litre N/A from the australian market , you use the rb30 bottom end and rb25 head.

Rides
    These are getting a bit common now Looking good though!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by samcourtney86 View Post
    isnt it a 3 litre N/A from the australian market , you use the rb30 bottom end and rb25 head.
    from Wikipedia:

RB30
    Four models of 3.0 L RB30 were produced:

RB30S - carburetted single-cam
    RB30E - fuel-injected single-cam (114 kW @ 5200 rpm, 247 N·m (25.2 kgf·m) @ 3600 rpm)
    RB30E R31 Skyline - fuel-injected single-cam (117 kW @ 5200 rpm, 252 N·m (25.2 kgf·m) @ 3600 rpm)
    RB30ET VL Commodore - fuel-injected single-cam turbo (150 kW @ 5600 rpm, 296 N·m @ 3200 rpm)
    This motor was produced because the Holden 202 (3.3 L) powering the Holden Commodore could no longer satisfy emissions requirements, and with all new cars required to run on unleaded petrol by 1986, a quick replacement was needed. Nissan Motor Co. sold the RB30E to Holden for the VL Commodore. The RB30E in the VL suffered from cylinder head cracking due to the radiator being fitted lower in the engine bay, causing air locks in the cylinder head. This was not as severe in R31 Skyline as the radiator is mounted higher. The engine proved to be very reliable apart from this issue. The RB30S was found in some Middle Eastern R31 Skylines and in some Nissan Patrols. The RB30E was found in R31 Skylines and VL Commodores in Australia as well as in South African R31 Skylines (with 126 kW @ 5000 rpm and 260 Nm @ 3500 rpm)

The turbocharged RB30ET (producing 150 kW) was found only in the VL Commodore (available in all Calais) and consisted of a lower compression RB30E bottom end, more powerful oil pump, T3 Garrett turbocharger, 250 cc injectors and a different intake manifold. The motor itself is still popular today (albeit in highly modified form) on the Australian Drag Racing circuit.

Nissan Special Vehicles Division Australia produced two limited models of R31 Skylines, the GTS1 and GTS2. These contained slightly more powerful RB30E engines, containing lumpier cams and better flowing exhausts.

GTS1 RB30E - injected single-cam (130 kW @ 5500 rpm, 255 Nm (26.0 kgf·m) @ 3500 rpm) - special cam profile, special exhaust[6]
    GTS2 RB30E - injected single-cam (140 kW @ 5600 rpm, 270 N·m (27.5 kgf·m) @ 4400 rpm) - special cam profile, special exhaust, piggy back computer, valve porting

RB30DE
    These rare engines were used in the Tommy Kaira M30 based on the R31 Skyline GTS-R. A modified RB20DE head was bolted on to the RB30E block. It delivered 177 kW (240 PS) @ 7000 rpm and 294 N·m (30.0 kgf·m) @ 4800 rpm.

RB30DET

RB30DET - R31 RB30E block, R32 RB25DE head.Nissan did not produce this engine, but it refers to a turbocharged engine featuring an RB30E block with a twin-cam head conversion. Common hybrid in Australasia (referred to as the RB25/30 or RB26/30) using a RB30E bottom end mated to a RB25DE,RB25DET or RB26DETT cylinder head and turbo (RB20DE and DET heads are not used as the bores are different in size; RB30 86.0 mm RB20 78.0 mm). The RB25DE cylinder head from the A31 Cefiro or C33 Laurel can be used, and fits perfectly on (although better valve springs are required to prevent valve float when running any more than stock boost). The RB25DET (from the R33 Skyline or C34 Laurel or Stagea) head is also used, however an external oil feed must be fabricated for the variable cam timing on the RB25DET, and the galleries at the front of the engine do not line up. The variable cam timing may be disconnected altogether.

The fitment of a twin cam head from any of these engines onto a standard compression RB30E bottom end gives an ideal compression ratio for a mild to moderately modified street turbo engine, making the conversion popular amongst those who would otherwise convert their RB30E to a high compression RB30ET using original ET bolt on externals.

Although it has a larger displacement than the RB26DETT, maximum possible horsepower is less, as the RB30 block lacks the RB26 block's internal cast-in bracing, and consequently cannot rev as high due to harmonic issues at ~7500 rpm. To compensate, the RB30DET produces more torque at lower revs. However in recent times this has been over come with the use of nitrated cranks and solid lifters, the engine can be tuned up to 11,000 rpm. Power of the RB30det in this form can far exceed that of an RB26dett, however this engine is not well suited in a 4wd system and as such is usually only found in rwd cars. Power figures using stock parts are 340 kW and 700 Nm. In the strengthened higher rev form this figure is usually around 800 kW and 1250 Nm depending on the tune.

There is also an 'RB30DETT' kit manufactured by OS Giken of Japan, which bolts an extension on top of the RB26 engine block, and fits liners, to give an 86 mm bore x 86 mm stroke. It is available as an assembled short block, containing billet chrome-molybdenum crank, billet chrome-molybdenum H-beam connecting rods, forged pistons, and costs ¥1,500,000.[8]

In recent times, Rotorua Import Pro Shop (RIPS), a tuning garage located in Rotorua, New Zealand has emerged as one of the foremost tuners using the RB30DET engines. They have found that the stock bottom end RB30DET can easily withstand in excess of 600hp reliably with many of their engines equipped in cars running the 1/4 mile race in the 10 second range.

Their main development engine makes well over 1000hp and has been using the stock crank without experiencing any failures.

Rides
    Nice looking project dude

Will be watching, good luck

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by big_mac View Post
    I joined in 2004 after buying a car off a user on here, unfortunetly i got stung and within weeks i was in the process of rebuilding the engine
    Stung?

Rides
    So with the engine now residing in glasgow it was time to give it the once over, The combustion chamber was measured at around 56cc and after a few sums were done it was decided that the compression ratio would be too high.

some searching was done on the internet for the best options open to me and within a few weeks the parts were ordered. I decided to go with a set of custom JE pistons, they had been used in my CA and i was very happy with them so it was a pretty easy choice, they also allowed me to drop the compression from around 9:1 down to 7:1 to allow me to run some decent boost without any worries.

A standard piston had to be sent to JE in america as they had never seen or made a set of pistons for the '30, this was done and around 4/5 weeks later they showed up

the next thing we looked at were the rods, the standard rods are by all accounts capable of 600+ hp and we were going to stick with these until i saw the price of a set of rods, the exchange rate was in my favour and the already low price allowed me to pick up a set of "spool" conrods for around 350quid delivered from NZ

i was a bit weary of them as id never heard of them, but good reports from the users of the skyline australia forums convinced me enough to take a punt. Within a few days of the order being placed they were sitting on my desk.

the specs from the spool website are:
    Weight 630 grams - Std OEM rods weigh 702 grams
    Small End Pin Size - 21mm
    High tensile 4340 forged steel
    2 Piece forging
    Hardness of HRC33-38
    Doweled cap for precision alignment
    X-RAY & Sonic tested
    Quenching and heat treated
    Shot peened
    100% Magnafluxed
    ARP2000 bolts/studs
    Silicon bronze bushing
    Weight Matched Sets + - 1 gram
    Sizing + - 0.0001"
    Last edited by big_mac; 07-07-2009 at 12:48.

Rides
    This is going to be mental! More more more!!!

Rides
    hey bud awesome project!!! Can I get some more pics of the car with its sexual wheels and arches