Thread: Put my back out last night workin on car......

Rides

Put my back out last night workin on car......

Of all things when I was putting the wheel on the ground, whatever I did I got a shock the whole way up my spine from lower back upwards

It was bad for couple of mins, but I was then able to keep going on what I needed to do (under car work).

But then last night, few hours later I was in agony, lower back very sore, and didn't sleep a wink.

Won't be seeing my doctor til later. Has anybody got any good tips to keep pain away/exercises/stretches I should do.

Ta

Rides
    Nasty mate. I had something similar happen a few years ago. Some relaxation and anti-inflammatory's worked a treat.

Rides
    Yeah back trouble is not good.... try lying on a hard surface like the floor as that can put you back in the position it should be in.

Don't slouch on the sofa etc....

Rides
    Got the same sort of thing, lower spinal problems. Had mine for years. Currently awaiting a back operation sometime this century
    A couple of days rest and anti inflammatories and then gentle exercising should see you right

Self confessed player of the pink oboe docwra's Avatar
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Col200sx View Post
    Has anybody got any good tips to keep pain away

DRINK!
    Quote Originally Posted by scimmy ben
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

Rides
    Antiinflamatories for sure! Maybe a heat pack if it's really painful.

Rides
    Don't do any exercise or stretching, it might be muscular skeletal and exercise only makes the inflammation worse. Until the doctor sees you I'd suggest rest it up and take something anti-inflammatory like ibuprofen. I get something similar and it usually takes a week or so to calm down.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Rude Dog View Post
    Got the same sort of thing, lower spinal problems. Had mine for years. Currently awaiting a back operation sometime this century
    A couple of days rest and anti inflammatories and then gentle exercising should see you right
    dito, anti-inflammatories and cool packs eases mine off, trip to an osteopath can do wonders as well if it doesn't settle down after a couple of weeks.

Do not imobilise the back this will make it worse, keep it moving gently through walking and very light exercise, do not do any heavy lifting as this will make it worse.

Rides
    Dont talk to me about back trouble!!!!

Mate get it looked at asap!!! if its not gone with in two weeks demand and MRI scan!!!

I put my back out last august, i see the doc 6 times over 3 months about it and it never got any better!! Had phsyo on the NHS which made it wors!! I was on all sorts of drugs!! Now, since around emas, iv had pins and needles in my left leg constantly, feels like some one has my left bollock in a vice and my left but cheek feels like its numb!!! I went back to the docks as clearly this aint right( i also had a lump on my lower back, right where the pain is!
    So after 7 months of not being able to do simple things like roll over in bed, lift a wheel(i work in a garage) they put me in for an MRI scan, turns out iv got a ruptured disc, it pretuding 7mm and touching my spinal cord!! So now im on very strong anti inflametrys. I just got a letter (2 and a half months after the scan) saying i can book and apointment! rings up, the soonest one they got is end of sept!!!! Its fecking shit!!! I could quite easly just sneeze and feck the spinal cord for good and been in a wheel chair for the rest of my life!!! SO my advise is, push for ansers, get it checked asap, if its no better in 2 weeks DEMAND a scan!! Make up shit like you cant feel your leg or some thing.

Rides
    Holy shit Polo, that's pretty bad. Hope things work out for you dude

Thanks all for input. What's actually helping me today is that I'm sitting upright in the office, and my seat has good solid support.

It feels like a muscle spasm or something

But in saying that, I knelt down this morning to pick up a towel, and I could barely get back up I actually had to compose myself and push myself up through the pain. It took me 2-3 mins to get up

LOL @ Doc, that sounds like a plan for later
    As Homer Simpson once quoted: "To alcohol, the cause of, and solution to all of lifes problems"

Rides
    Allot of people with back troubles!!! Must be a 200 thing

I have just compeleted a months course of physio on my back as I had a lower joint pop out.

This is the second time now, couple of years ago I had 2 neck joint pop out, notw it's my lower back.....

If after you have it checked out and you find it is nothing majorly serious, then I was given a load of exersises to do to help with lower back pain and strengthening.

1) Lie on your back, legs flat. Bend each leg in turn with your hands under the knee and pull the bent leg as close to your chest as you are comfortable with. Do that for each leg and then both at the same time.

2) Lie on your back, knees up and move both kness to the left towards the floor. Do this left and right, but not quickly and alternately, rest before switching sides.

3) Kind of a combo of the first 2. Lie on your back and pull one knee towards you like in number 1. However when it is towards your chest then move it to the side while keeping hold of it. i.e. right leg held with left hand, then pull the leg with your hand so the knee goes over your chest towards the left and your hips twist. This one cause my back to click and showed how stiff it was after my injury.

4) lie on your back with your knees up, feet flat on the floor. Raise your hips up so that your arse is off the floor. Hold that and if you are comfortable doing that, while in that position extend one leg out straight and try not to twist your hips. Alternating legs like that should help build the muscles up in that area to help protect the lower back.

These were all given to me by a physio, however I would say always be careful if you are trying them, especially the hip twisting ones.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Polo View Post
    Dont talk to me about back trouble!!!!

Mate get it looked at asap!!! if its not gone with in two weeks demand and MRI scan!!!

I put my back out last august, i see the doc 6 times over 3 months about it and it never got any better!! Had phsyo on the NHS which made it wors!! I was on all sorts of drugs!! Now, since around emas, iv had pins and needles in my left leg constantly, feels like some one has my left bollock in a vice and my left but cheek feels like its numb!!! I went back to the docks as clearly this aint right( i also had a lump on my lower back, right where the pain is!
    So after 7 months of not being able to do simple things like roll over in bed, lift a wheel(i work in a garage) they put me in for an MRI scan, turns out iv got a ruptured disc, it pretuding 7mm and touching my spinal cord!! So now im on very strong anti inflametrys. I just got a letter (2 and a half months after the scan) saying i can book and apointment! rings up, the soonest one they got is end of sept!!!! Its fecking shit!!! I could quite easly just sneeze and feck the spinal cord for good and been in a wheel chair for the rest of my life!!! SO my advise is, push for ansers, get it checked asap, if its no better in 2 weeks DEMAND a scan!! Make up shit like you cant feel your leg or some thing.
    Polo sorry about you back but I have been 18months since I fooked my back, some doctors are better than others but most seem to follow the standard NHS procedure for backs which is medicate for pain for about a year then start looking for a underlying cause.

Rides
    get yourself some cissus from myprotein, cant recommend it enough

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Col200sx View Post
    Holy shit Polo, that's pretty bad. Hope things work out for you dude

Thanks all for input. What's actually helping me today is that I'm sitting upright in the office, and my seat has good solid support.

It feels like a muscle spasm or something

But in saying that, I knelt down this morning to pick up a towel, and I could barely get back up I actually had to compose myself and push myself up through the pain. It took me 2-3 mins to get up

LOL @ Doc, that sounds like a plan for later
    As Homer Simpson once quoted: "To alcohol, the cause of, and solution to all of lifes problems"
    Sitting upright with a pillow/towl behind my lower back is the only way i can sit with out pain

As fas as dealing with the pain, iv found it hurts most when you fight it, iv had a few times driving along iv just had to stop in the middle of the road and crawl out of the car on my hands!! The best way is to take deep btreths and try to relax(as you tense up) when the pain is at its most, its very hard to do if the pain is really bad but feck me it helps a shit load!!!

Rides
    When my lower back locks up, I usually find that hot water bottles & ibuprofen help me.

As others have said, try to keep moving where you can - and hope it gets better soon.

Rides
    Found voltarol better than ibu for me.