Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: digital britan report = ****s

Rides

digital britan report = ****s

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8102756.stm

particularly this "One of the biggest surprises in the report was the promise to introduce a levy on fixed telephone lines in order to pay for broadband rollout.
    It will amount to a 50p a month tax for every household in the country with a fixed phone line."

Rides
    So we pay for BT not forking out what they are supposed to do. What a load of shite.

Anyway it's Govt bollox so none of the deadlines or guidelines laid down in the report will get met anyway.

Utter fcuking tosh from a dead in the water government

Rides
    50p a month tax for the goverment so it will be implemented ASAP but none of the money will actually go to providing the 2meg minimum service.

Rides
    ALso every house in england will have HIGH speed broadband by 2012 yeah right, the max we can get here is 4meg if your lucky but more like 2 an I can't see the digging up every road laying fibre optic cables.

Rides
    I'm with Virgin and i now pay £11 a month all in for my phone line so now this will raise to £11.50 and as i get my broadband from Virgin as well I will get no discernable benefit. So it's another tax from which I'll receive no benefit.

Rides
    i already have fibre broadband, and paid over the odds for it when it originally came out.

what right do they have to ask more from me for something i've already paid for? to subsidise everyone else? not really fair in my mind.

i love labour. tossbags.

Rides
    I wondfer how many VM customers will cancel their homeline to avoid the tax. As Ronin said i am in the same boat wheer i have feck all to do with BT and their shitty lines yet i still have to pay the tax.

W@nkers

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by blue boy View Post
    I wondfer how many VM customers will cancel their homeline to avoid the tax. As Ronin said i am in the same boat wheer i have feck all to do with BT and their shitty lines yet i still have to pay the tax.

W@nkers
    Ill be cancelling mine

Edit: Saying that, the register reports that the tax will be on fixed lines AND broadband lines, so does that mean we get taxed twice???

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/06/16/fibre_levy/
    Last edited by karlF; 16-06-2009 at 17:01.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by BigD View Post
    ALso every house in england will have HIGH speed broadband by 2012 yeah right, the max we can get here is 4meg if your lucky but more like 2 an I can't see the digging up every road laying fibre optic cables.
    Actually you might, BT is trying the BET system here in Inverness and my brother connection is around 6 meg and he is 10 miles from the exchange. This is an exchange upgrade rather than a line.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by kkydd View Post
    Actually you might, BT is trying the BET system here in Inverness and my brother connection is around 6 meg and he is 10 miles from the exchange. This is an exchange upgrade rather than a line.
    Well that would be great if it happens, it's a shame by want £122 just to connect us tho as there's no way we can pay that now £40 is more than enough robbing bastids .

Rides
    Initial connection is always expensive, I have had to pay for two in my life time.

Rides
    Initial connection is always expensive, I have had to pay for two in my life time.
    I don't recall ever paying for an initial connection

They can whistle for their 50p though

Rides
    50p a month more for me on top of BT's already top whack package just so i can get throttled some more by there frankly disgusting policys.
    We pay for xyz, stop giving us just x and y you bastards.
    Go and rotate for the 50p as well.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Aitch View Post
    I don't recall ever paying for an initial connection

They can whistle for their 50p though
    If there is no line existing, then there is a charge if it is a reactivation there is no charge.

Rides
    BT and the Gov can F off LOL don't even have a bt line so there is no way i am paying. will get rid of my phone line on principle

Rides
    I have VM but no phone line does that mean i dont have to pay?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by BigD View Post
    Also every house in England will have HIGH speed broadband by 2012 yeah right, the max we can get here is 4meg if your lucky but more like 2 an I can't see the digging up every road laying fibre optic cables.
    BT tell me i can get on my line is 256kb if i`m lucky i live 5.2km from the exchange .Earliest i might get an upgrade is 2011

Rides
    I already have Fibre and no phone line connected so those mofo's can whistle

Rides
    Here's a thought will they try to charge me twice as I have a Virgin phone line but I also have a unused BT line running in as well as it say 50p for every fixed phone line?

Rides
    6MB is hardly high speed now though is it? What with the fastest being 50mb and 24mb services available for under £20pcm, 6mb seems a bit week. In 3 years it'll be even more pathetic.