Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: E85 powered 180sx

Rides
    Great to see some progress with the car Colm, sorry to hear about the SR but the JZ will sound bloody fantastic

Quote Originally Posted by JP View Post
    So the question on everyone's lips now is.... if that's not the turbo you'll be using........ what is?
    Garrett GT47-88R

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by CillianS14a View Post
    Great job Colm, good to see the work on the TB, can't wait to see this in action ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by T.J View Post
    Awesome stuff keep up the good work not much longer now and you'll have this back on the track
    Road! Back on the road!!
    cheers lads. road, track, field - who cares as long as it works

Quote Originally Posted by Trial_S15 View Post
    Great to see some progress with the car Colm, sorry to hear about the SR but the JZ will sound bloody fantastic

Garrett GT47-88R
    now thats a turbo!

Rides
    some updates,

Im been getting held up waiting on parts but a box arrived at the start of this week.

this is the turbo Il be running, a Precision 5830.

my wastegate, front sump set up and various seals and gaskets and bits needed for the wiring also turned up. Im still waiting on my coils and injectors and Il have everything i need.

Ive got most of the wiring done. Both looms have been stripped and laid out. Im just waiting on the injectors and coils so i can wire those in and do all the wrapping and tidying up together to keep everything neat.

Making the exhaust work is proving to be a right pain. Fitting the downpipe, wastegate and dump tube all next to the steering arm is a real headache. Ive got it just about sorted now but its still all very tight. The wastegate still needs some work and ive no idea where im going to run the dump tube yet. I wanted to plump it back into the exhaust but i dont think that will fit.

I got abit lucky with my airfilter and induction pipe. It was almost a straight swap from what i was running with my 3037 set up on the sr.

im changing some of my fuel set up too. This is how my current swirl pot was set up, it was done in a rush along time back and ive never been happy with it so its going byebye.

how it was,

ive made this as a surge tank to sit in the spare wheel well. I can put a cover over this and have all my fuel fitting and pumps covered. Itll keep this tidy, firewalled and let me use my boot again.

I need to get my hands on some more bends before i can finish my downpipe. Next couple of jobs are to get my gauge wiring re routed and figured out, get my prop shaft made and then its engine out and head off for some new stem seals and a quick poke around to check everything is as it should be.

Rides
    Looking well Colm. Sickening you'll have this running before mine.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Muttly View Post
    Looking well Colm. Sickening you'll have this running before mine.
    cheers Martin. Theres still a pile of work to be done. When do you hope to have yours done?

Made a bit of progress today. The engine is back out and the head is stripped.

I couldnt find any rocker arms in here

the pistons all look 100%, no damage or det marks. There is a little carbon build up and some gunk that got in there while the engine was left sitting up.

the bores all look pretty good too,

turns out this engine must have been a gift to someone during one of the star wars films,

the head is fully stripped. Despite the build up of crap oil on everything things looks good. The cams are spotless and journals all look good. The valves are all good too and doesnt look like it will be too much effort to lap them all in. Ive never been near a jz before but the valve springs feel very soft compaired to what sr's have.
    whats in jay-zs head,

when i was taking off the sump i thought i saw something that looked like it might have been a piece rubber from a stem seal. Thats one of the main reasons i pulled the head off. Turns out i was right, 5 exhaust stem seals are destroyed. 4 of them were still in place but one has gone awol. I cant find it in the block so not sure where its ended up. In a related matter im now changing the oil pump too.

what used to be stem seals,

Rides
    No plans just yet. Still a lot to be done. Once I get caught up on it progress will be made!

Rides
    Looking good colm keep it up.
    If you need any more bends just let me know i can pick them up any evening on another note i have some great news that will cheer you up i'll give you a ring tomorrow

Rides
    Your flying through this colm great stuff! Good idea with the oil pump, not worth taking that chance

Rides
    Nevermind where the valve stem seal went, where the feck did the rocker arms go??!

Quote Originally Posted by colm View Post
    turns out this engine must have been a gift to someone during one of the star wars films,
    *Grooooooooan* Colm, go to the corner & think about what you've just done...
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottie
    JP will be back, he is like Christ, only he comes back more frequently

Rides
    Ground 'Toyoda' over the engine number?

Rides
    Nevermind where the valve stem seal went, where the feck did the rocker arms go??!

*Grooooooooan* Colm, go to the corner & think about what you've just done...
    come on, i find "toyoda" stamped on my engine and you expect me not to make a star wars joke??

Quote Originally Posted by scottdawg View Post
    Ground 'Toyoda' over the engine number?
    I dont know toyotas so ive no idea why but this "Toyoda" thing is stamped on the 1jzs oil pump. here it is again on the new one i ordered.

update time,

the valves have all finally been lapped and what was left of the stem seals removed.
    Ive a new oil pump, water pump, stem seals and rear main seal all replaced now. Im in the middle of rebuilding the head at the moment and Ive got the sump washed and cleaned waiting to go on tomorwow along with a new oil pick up and gasket, I dont want to take any chances with anything to do with oil.

Ive also dug in on wiring in the link g4, its not as hard as youd think.

Im still waiting on my coils and injectors so thats holding me up on finishing the wiring.

I have this pile of bits still to be fitted,

The next few jobs should be simple enough.
    fit new surge tank
    run new fuel lines
    fit engine
    modify prop
    finish wiring
    make/modify power steering bits
    finish the exhaust
    make intercooler piping
    heat proof lots of stuff
    fit new steering and suspension parts
    start car
    align car
    map car
    enjoy car

Rides
    Yeah the link is easy enough to wire in once it is thought through

Nice progress I love the list you've made especially the last item "enjoy car"

Rides
    I dont want to take any chances with anything to do with oil.
    Lol! I can identify with that!

Comprehensive list dude but knowing you that last one'll be sooner than any of us would expect!

Rides
    come on, i find "toyoda" stamped on my engine and you expect me not to make a star wars joke??

I dont know toyotas so ive no idea why but this "Toyoda" thing is stamped on the 1jzs oil pump. here it is again on the new one i ordered.
    Toyota originated from Toyoda Industries (Kariya) when they started its automotive division in 1933, its the surname of the founder and the Toyoda family still own it. its now the grandson that runs it.

Rides
    Lol! I can identify with that!

Comprehensive list dude but knowing you that last one'll be sooner than any of us would expect!
    cheers jp but time is short over the next week or so down to a few trips for work but Im really keen to get the finger out and get this finished

Quote Originally Posted by s200rat View Post
    Toyota originated from Toyoda Industries (Kariya) when they started its automotive division in 1933, its the surname of the founder and the Toyoda family still own it. its now the grandson that runs it.
    random bit of info there lol, explains the "toyoda" pretty well thought.

FINALLYYYYY....the last of my bits have arrived today. This means all thats stopping this car from being done now is me.

new coil overs,

coils for wastedspark set up,

and new injectors,

sunday will see a nice bit of work done i hope and i can start counting down the days to the first start.

Rides
    Book your NCT date now - you'll be in LOOOOOOAAADS of time for the RR-day!

Nice shiny-bits btw!

Rides
    Awesome stuff Colm, did you get much done over the weekend?? I'll be interested to see what you make of the HSD's compared to the Teins you had before

Rides
    hi colm
    thought i'd check out your thread did you go for the g4 link storm?
    just had my link extreem set up at thor racing in coventry great bunch of blokes Rob is a master with these ecu's
    500 rwhp 410 f lbs torque trust me your going to need your 330 disc conversion
    the engine conversion is a pain making everything fit but trust me its worth it and you'll love it

keep up the good work