Thread: AT gear don't shift

Rides

AT gear don't shift

hi everybody.

my friend have a problem with his AT gear system.
    it's a KA24de model.

this is the problems.

if the car start in cold position and he set in "D"(drive) the gearbox work fine.
    he shift normal up and down (al 4 shift)

but when the engine going Warm(hot) the AT gear going automatic in the N (but the setting stil in the D).

so i have read some in the book but what i only can thinking is is the Fluid sensor is broke
    of the gear is realy broke.
    what do you all thinking?

greetz john

Rides
    I think there's two fundamentals that need looking at first and foremost.

Number one is the most important thing - whenever an auto is behaving even slightly weird, always check the fluid level first.

Then it's a good idea to do an AT ECU diagnostic to see if it's reporting any faults.

So when you say it starts warming up the transmission won't go into gear, how long does this take, in terms of either distance or time? Does it still do it if the car is left stationary with the engine running? If the transmission won't go into gear in D, what about other positions?

Troubleshooting is much easier when talking to the person with the problem directly.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by nene View Post
    I think there's two fundamentals that need looking at first and foremost.

Number one is the most important thing - whenever an auto is behaving even slightly weird, always check the fluid level first.

Then it's a good idea to do an AT ECU diagnostic to see if it's reporting any faults.

So when you say it starts warming up the transmission won't go into gear, how long does this take, in terms of either distance or time? Does it still do it if the car is left stationary with the engine running? If the transmission won't go into gear in D, what about other positions?

Troubleshooting is much easier when talking to the person with the problem directly.

i know and i have speak him directly.
    problems is he is not good in english.
    so i try this way. and in sxoc.nl no one can't help him??

what he have testing is.

cold starting the car.
    drive in the d.
    when the car drive and get warm the gear going in N.
    even when we set the car stop and step out the car(running in the D ) the car whon't move.
    and the fluid level is oke.

ecu error check whe don't have check it.
    mayby a good tip to try to find out.
    Last edited by bugsvoyager; 20-05-2009 at 18:55.

Rides
    Ah, since it's a KA24DE I was assuming your friend to be american. I'm not surprised no-one can help him on sxoc.nl, these cars can attract a lot of gearbox snobbery

Once the car has dropped out of gear, check the ATF level using this method - http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showpost.php...22&postcount=1

Rides
    These truck-engined cars are the leftovers of militar/diplomatic/whatever US person that could transport and import them in Europe without spending a fortune at the time.

If the friend is anything serious about enjoying the car as it should be, should look for an engine and gear swap rather than spending a penny on a KA auto.

There is wide availability of that in the UK and is not far from Holland neither.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by El @ View Post
    If the friend is anything serious about enjoying the car as it should be, should look for an engine and gear swap rather than spending a penny on a KA auto.
    Oh look, how surprising.

Rides
    Sometime one feels obliged to say things that are either obvious or not even asked for.